S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

For everyone who lowered there w220

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220
Viet - are your fenders just rolled or pulled too? Your rears fit awesome and I've been contemplating spacers for my car.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
Originally Posted by adrenaline12055
Oh and do you know if it's possible to adjust camber?
camber are not adjustable..

you can adjust only front toe and rear toe.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:50 PM

Pinto
Originally Posted by stevedel
Viet - are your fenders just rolled or pulled too? Your rears fit awesome and I've been contemplating spacers for my car.
spacers are great way to get that stance...just make sure its hub-centric otherwise it shakes.

rear fender slightly pull with a baseball bat.. lol

front no...
Old 04-16-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 s500 sport package
Here is mine
Old 04-16-2012, 10:57 PM

W220
^^ you're riding real low. I like it. I need to throw up some updated pics since I put on spacers in the rear and went a little lower.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2000 mercedes benz s430
DAMN I thought I was sitting low LOL. How is the ride with the 20's and sitting that low?
Attached Thumbnails For everyone who lowered there w220-dump.jpg  
Old 04-17-2012, 09:53 AM

2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
im with oliverk

Originally Posted by SFBIGBODY415
Hey guys I been thinking non stop about lowering my car. I want to go really low I think I looks awesome on my stock 18's. Just wanted to know how bad will I mess up my ride quality and am I risking that my airmatic will go out much sooner then normal? Also if some of you can post some pics of your lowered w220's I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
no hate when it comes to mods, just feel the car is turn key in every way from the factory. for those that have the courage to modify and change the MB design i just dont get it somtimes. "slamming" your benz to the ground as vietamg and big body have done looks crazy good! but the reality of driving the car is you will allways be looking for the right way to enter a driveway, some you wont be able to even use, parking stops have the potential for destroying the lower front fascia. and their will allways be those moments when you will say F#?ck! as the car bottoms out and you know that somthing got bent. if you put any "slammed"car on a lift you will see the result of lowering.

Last edited by AH1W-COBRA; 04-17-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
Originally Posted by AH1W-COBRA
no hate when it comes to mods, just feel the car is turn key in every way from the factory. for those that have the courage to modify and change the MB design i just dont get it somtimes. "slamming" your benz to the ground as vietamg and big body have done looks crazy good! but the reality of driving the car is you will allways be looking for the right way to enter a driveway, some you wont be able to even use, parking stops have the potential for destroying the lower front fascia. and their will allways be those moments when you will say F#?ck! as the car bottoms out and you know that somthing got bent. if you put any "slammed"car on a lift you will see the result of lowering.
As a tech, my car is on the lift and no "damage" from lowering. You just have to use some common sense when driving it. ABC makes it easier than airmatic though. I can quickly raise it if need be for a steep entrance to a driveway etc...

My car is lowered with links, about 3" or so. I started with star lowering and washers but it wasn't low enough for me It rides slightly firmer (abc) lowered but the wheels made the most change in how it rode. It still rides very well however not as smooth as stock.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
MB 2003 S600. Volvo 2003 XC70.
Originally Posted by stockC43
As a tech, my car is on the lift and no "damage" from lowering. You just have to use some common sense when driving it. ABC makes it easier than airmatic though. I can quickly raise it if need be for a steep entrance to a driveway etc...

My car is lowered with links, about 3" or so. I started with star lowering and washers but it wasn't low enough for me It rides slightly firmer (abc) lowered but the wheels made the most change in how it rode. It still rides very well however not as smooth as stock.
StockC43,

As a MB master tech, do you think lowering will lead to premature wear for ABC ?

I'm thinking of shorten the strut will put more stress on the coil spring all the time as the lowered coil is not working on it's regular length. Plus lowering will cause the hydrolic system containing less fluid which may lead to less effective for damping the shocks come from outside.

And what's the downside of the lowering according to your opinion.
Plus will lowering avoid MB warranty ?

You opinions may help putting a lid on this topic.
Thanks for your knowledge.

Howard
Old 04-17-2012, 05:10 PM

65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
Originally Posted by haoz129
StockC43,

As a MB master tech, do you think lowering will lead to premature wear for ABC ?

I'm thinking of shorten the strut will put more stress on the coil spring all the time as the lowered coil is not working on it's regular length. Plus lowering will cause the hydrolic system containing less fluid which may lead to less effective for damping the shocks come from outside.

And what's the downside of the lowering according to your opinion.
Plus will lowering avoid MB warranty ?

You opinions may help putting a lid on this topic.
Thanks for your knowledge.

Howard
I was cautious about it at first as well. The struts have internal bump stops so it wont damage the strut in that way. With abc struts, the upper rubber mount (bearing plate) is prone to cracking roughly every 50,000 miles from my experience. I replaced mine at 39,000 miles when i bought the car due to it being the last month of factory warranty. My car has been at various levels of lowering however Ive been at the current height for 2 years now with no unusual issues. I have done only one front pressure supply hose witch is common, and a valve block that just barley was starting to leak internally. Thanks easy care The car is now approaching 90,000 miles. The additional fluid just returns to the resivour. The accumulators will allwise hold a predetermined amount of fluid, regardless of ride height. My best recommendation to a reliable abc system is a flush every 2-3 years. Pentosin gets thick and sticky over time.

btw ABC fluid (pentosin chf11s) is for the hydrolic piston that pushes on the springs. It is no way connected to the shock absorbers like old self leveling suspensions

As far as negatives? reduced ground clearance Reduced fender clearance while turning. If you don't loosen and re-tighten control arm bushings sitting at the new ride height they may tear prematurely.

As far as warranty, most 220's/215's have extended warranties by now and the inspectors usually don't have a clue. There more concerned with aftermarket wheels when it comes to suspension warranty clams. Put your stock wheels on first. Factory cpo, I see no issue ware it couldn't be pushed through by the dealer. Unless of coarse you improperly wired in a lowering module and shorted out something.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:10 PM

2000 mercedes benz s430
My car has been lowered for a little while now and it has not given me any issues and my car just hit 139k. It rides a little rougher then normal but nothing crazy as if you would change the suspension like you would in most cars to lower. Also if u need to get into a driveway that seems to steep u can always push the golden raise button
Old 04-17-2012, 07:49 PM

i respect your opinion/experience

im not challengeing your taste. lowered is sleek/stealth and slammed is just plain "*****en" but you absolutely have to drive the car like it's lowered. it may be second nature to you but let the wife take it to the mall and pull up to one of those concrete parking stops til the tire gentley bumps the concrete and you have just paid $1000 to park the car.

Last edited by AH1W-COBRA; 04-17-2012 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-17-2012, 09:45 PM

opposite-lock...
different strokes fer different folks

I think 'that low' looks comical - like some sort of gangsta rap star hooptie... run skid plates for sparks to shoot out?

I'll never get that, but - to each their own 8-)

I'll agree, if you've lowered all your cars over all the years - you certainly adapt to your angles of approach / departure... and... develop (and SHARE with your spouse / anyone who you hand the keys) your parking litany. It very much becomes instinctive 2nd nature.

I'll again laugh... post a thread about slamming a car and it catches like wildfire. I posted pics of mine sensibly lowered and it was Ghostownville, population - me.

Time to post some threads about baller 22's and blingin LED's and boomin subwoofers yo yo YO!!!

I guess I'll never quite 'get' the diversity of the demographic that owns these things 8-/...
Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 PM

2000 mercedes benz s430
Yeah sometimes i say f**k when driving and go over a pot hole. But the look of a lowered car compared to a normal cars looks way better. Almost all the cars i have owned have been slammed so i am used to driving carefully and you learn about all the bumps and pot holes in your city quickly.

=AH1W-COBRA;5152878]no hate when it comes to mods, just feel the car is turn key in every way from the factory. for those that have the courage to modify and change the MB design i just dont get it somtimes. "slamming" your benz to the ground as vietamg and big body have done looks crazy good! but the reality of driving the car is you will allways be looking for the right way to enter a driveway, some you wont be able to even use, parking stops have the potential for destroying the lower front fascia. and their will allways be those moments when you will say F#?ck! as the car bottoms out and you know that somthing got bent. if you put any "slammed"car on a lift you will see the result of lowering.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-17-2012, 10:17 PM

2000 mercedes benz s430
LOL 22's and led's I can't stand I hate it when people put big cheap chrome rims on a nice cars it looks so stupid. But yeah lots of people like that and I'm sure the thread will be the hit of the day. Your car looks good the way you did it and I understand that some people don't want to "drop" the car. If I had kids that I drove around and had to give my car to wife or g/f to drive I would not lower it as much as I did. I am the only one who drives my car so its ok and I never let like a valet driver touch it because I am scared they would scrape it.

Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz
different strokes fer different folks

I think 'that low' looks comical - like some sort of gangsta rap star hooptie... run skid plates for sparks to shoot out?

I'll never get that, but - to each their own 8-)

I'll agree, if you've lowered all your cars over all the years - you certainly adapt to your angles of approach / departure... and... develop (and SHARE with your spouse / anyone who you hand the keys) your parking litany. It very much becomes instinctive 2nd nature.

I'll again laugh... post a thread about slamming a car and it catches like wildfire. I posted pics of mine sensibly lowered and it was Ghostownville, population - me.

Time to post some threads about baller 22's and blingin LED's and boomin subwoofers yo yo YO!!!

I guess I'll never quite 'get' the diversity of the demographic that owns these things 8-/...
Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 PM

W220
I've had lowered cars all my life. I love how they look with a nice stance. I know there a lot of purist in this forum. One reason I decided on the w220 platform was because I wanted to take advantage to the factory air ride.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 s500 sport package
It all depends on the person. If everyone had the same taste on cars it would be boring, For me this is just a weekend car I have others cars that I drive daily. I have always fix up cars all my life I love the lowered look plus I can just press the raise button as easy as that.

Well to each its own.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:17 AM

2001 S430

now this is flush.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:34 AM

W220
That's horrible! Lol. But some people might think that's functional.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:10 AM

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
MB 2003 S600. Volvo 2003 XC70.
Thumbs up

I was cautious about it at first as well. The struts have internal bump stops so it wont damage the strut in that way. With abc struts, the upper rubber mount (bearing plate) is prone to cracking roughly every 50,000 miles from my experience. I replaced mine at 39,000 miles when i bought the car due to it being the last month of factory warranty. My car has been at various levels of lowering however Ive been at the current height for 2 years now with no unusual issues. I have done only one front pressure supply hose witch is common, and a valve block that just barley was starting to leak internally. Thanks easy care The car is now approaching 90,000 miles. The additional fluid just returns to the resivour. The accumulators will allwise hold a predetermined amount of fluid, regardless of ride height. My best recommendation to a reliable abc system is a flush every 2-3 years. Pentosin gets thick and sticky over time.

btw ABC fluid (pentosin chf11s) is for the hydrolic piston that pushes on the springs. It is no way connected to the shock absorbers like old self leveling suspensions

As far as negatives? reduced ground clearance Reduced fender clearance while turning. If you don't loosen and re-tighten control arm bushings sitting at the new ride height they may tear prematurely.

As far as warranty, most 220's/215's have extended warranties by now and the inspectors usually don't have a clue. There more concerned with aftermarket wheels when it comes to suspension warranty clams. Put your stock wheels on first. Factory cpo, I see no issue ware it couldn't be pushed through by the dealer. Unless of coarse you improperly wired in a lowering module and shorted out something.
Thanks for all the insider information and real life experience.

About loose and re-tighten control arm, it is indeed very important. I believe not too many will do. Hope your reminder help adding a critical step into lowerer's book to keep the bushing in a correct angle according to the car's lowered position.

Best regards.

Howard
Old 04-18-2012, 04:15 AM

W220
heres mine on links.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:05 PM

YIKES!

Originally Posted by classyS

now this is flush.
you have been bad, very bad.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S55K AMG
Originally Posted by adrenaline12055
heres mine on links.

Now THAT looks sick, can i ask what size them wheels are please? 19 or 20's.

Any more pics?
Old 04-19-2012, 03:56 PM

W220
Originally Posted by w4sim
Now THAT looks sick, can i ask what size them wheels are please? 19 or 20's.

Any more pics?
19s. more pics later.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K

on links

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: For everyone who lowered there w220