S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Fully Adjustable Airmatic Suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s500
Fully Adjustable Airmatic Suspension

As a suspension guru I have always found the lack of options for lowering my s500 troubling. So I created a hobby in the cold months to learn as much as I could about how the Mercedes Airmatic suspension determines the correct ride height. I know that many (like myself) have used the washer technique, but the problem with that is it’s a static drop and you never really can make it as low as you want to go if you want to remain comfortable driving your car around town. First, I experimented with modifying the stock sensors so that no additional parts needed to be added to the suspension and I messed up a few sensors in the process. I also looked into cheap computer mods, but nothing is cheap. Tunes are well over $1000, and STAR isn’t readily available. I started looking into different methods for “tricking” the sensors much like the washer method but making it adjustable on the fly much like an aftermarket system you would see on a mini truck.
Fully Adjustable Airmatic Suspension-img_2164.jpg
I bought three linear actuators and hooked them up in place of the static arms (as shown above) that are connected to the sensors.
http://vid757.photobucket.com/albums...y/IMG_2429.mp4
I ended up using my home automation and hardware knowledge to stuff some components into a project enclosure to control the actuators…
Fully Adjustable Airmatic Suspension-img_2273.jpg
Fully Adjustable Airmatic Suspension-img_2279-1.jpg
I used my programming knowledge to create a simple app to communicate over Bluetooth to raise and lower my car from my phone when needed. (Video is using different app just for testing)

http://vid757.photobucket.com/albums...y/IMG_2435.mp4

I am now able to make my car go all the way up and almost all the way to the ground. Unfortunately, it is still cold here in St Louis so I’m going to start another project after posting this one.

Fully Adjustable Airmatic Suspension-img_2434.jpg
Fully Adjustable Airmatic Suspension-img_2432.jpg
Fully Adjustable Airmatic Suspension-img_2431.jpg

I would like to thank Rob_Fed for the inspiration Enjoy!
Old 01-20-2015, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
This is exactly what many of us have been waiting for - a smartphone controlled manual suspension !!

Will you be selling the parts, how much, and how long does the install take ?
Old 01-20-2015, 09:02 PM

s500
Tusabes,

Glad to hear that! I liked the phone approach compared to having a controller in the car because it keeps the car appearing stock and also opens a lot of avenues for software upgrades.

I have considered throwing some kits together, but I wanna make sure I do it in accordance with the forum rules. I've been a long time lurker and I love this forum because of all the money it has saved me in repairs, but I don't know whether I will need to become a vendor or how it works. (Someone please PM me!)

If I can get some interest, I could drive the cost to everyone way down. Currently each linear actuator costs $70 and I need 3 of them for Non-ABC cars. An install takes about an hour and the main component is housed underneath the passenger floorboard.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Put me down as interested !!

I know it needs some extra things, but will this also manually adjust the abc cars too? I have a cl500 also
Old 01-20-2015, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
I'm definately interested if this wil work on ac CL with ABC.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:38 PM

Turbo Mustang, C230
Okay, I am interested.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Does it work with ABC. If so, I'm interested.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:48 PM

01 S430
i was thinking the same thing, but i could not find linear actuators that i liked and was just going to use an arduino to control them.
what linear actuators did you end up using?
Old 03-12-2015, 01:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
THANKS!

The linear actuator definitely simplifies things. Even at $70 each for the raw part it is still in the ballpark for most people. The control box is definitely a nice piece.

One question, do the linear actuators provide some sort of position sensor signal back to your logic box? I assume it does since it is a commercially made unit.

My servo setup has been working well for about two years now. The rear adjustment arm has posed some issues due to the nature of the servo. I had to redesign the mounting and arm lengths and it seems to be okay now. I have been working a linear servo design, but it is still will be open loop with no feedback.

As soon as I have everything sorted out, I will update more original thread.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:06 PM

2002 s430, 2011 Genesis 4.6
How did the servo mod pan out?

Originally Posted by rob_fed
THANKS!

The linear actuator definitely simplifies things. Even at $70 each for the raw part it is still in the ballpark for most people. The control box is definitely a nice piece.

One question, do the linear actuators provide some sort of position sensor signal back to your logic box? I assume it does since it is a commercially made unit.

My servo setup has been working well for about two years now. The rear adjustment arm has posed some issues due to the nature of the servo. I had to redesign the mounting and arm lengths and it seems to be okay now. I have been working a linear servo design, but it is still will be open loop with no feedback.

As soon as I have everything sorted out, I will update more original thread.

What's the last word on the Bluetooth servo mod with smartphone control?
I love the idea and it would be great to avoid the waste and cost of an aftermarket bag setup.

Thank you,
Seth
Old 06-24-2015, 07:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 S430 4matic, 2014 Audi A4
I am interested! But who installs? LOL