S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Keyless go trunk and door locks stopped working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 Cadillac DTS
Keyless go trunk and door locks stopped working

I have a 2005 S 500 with 62,xxx miles. It has push button start, keyless go, power trunk closer. Today, my trunk will not open with the remote, nor with the power button on the door, nor with the button above the license plate. The only way to open my truck is to use the key on my key fob. This sounds silly because there was a time in life when you only used a key to open your trunk. LOL. Oh, I later found out that I can't lock my doors either. I can't lock them with the key fob, the door lock button on the dash, nor the button on the door handles. Does anyone know what's going on? Does a fuse need replacing or the battery in my key fob? I'm baffled. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:17 AM

2005 S500
PSE pump.
unless its like mine currently where its all the door actuators and locks took a crap on me including the trunk.
be ready to spend over $4k if its all the doors if its just the PSE pump around $1k lol
Old 08-16-2015, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
It is very unlikely that all the door lock and trunk actuators would break down at the same time. If they don't work it is caused by something else. Pull the fuse for the PSE pump. It is located behind the light under the passenger rear seat. Just pull the lens off of the light and you will see the fuse behind that lens.

The fuse for the PSE pump is the yellow one. Remove the fuse and wait about 15 minutes to reinsert it. Then see if things start working again.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:09 PM

2005 S500
Originally Posted by ibeforreal
It is very unlikely that all the door lock and trunk actuators would break down at the same time. If they don't work it is caused by something else. Pull the fuse for the PSE pump. It is located behind the light under the passenger rear seat. Just pull the lens off of the light and you will see the fuse behind that lens.

The fuse for the PSE pump is the yellow one. Remove the fuse and wait about 15 minutes to reinsert it. Then see if things start working again.
yea well mine did lol. and now the stealership will be $6k richer lol
Old 08-16-2015, 05:10 PM

2004 Cadillac DTS
I will try it. Thanks

Old 08-16-2015, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IDFWU I could see where your PSE pump would fail thus causing the door soft close and trunk to stop working but I just don't see all four door locks failing at the same time. You should have asked them to return the broken parts to you just to prove that they were actually replaced.

I have had a couple of instances when I asked that question they gave me the deer in the headlights look. Totally unexpected.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:20 AM

2005 S500
IDFWU I could see where your PSE pump would fail thus causing the door soft close and trunk to stop working but I just don't see all four door locks failing at the same time. You should have asked them to return the broken parts to you just to prove that they were actually replaced.

I have had a couple of instances when I asked that question they gave me the deer in the headlights look. Totally unexpected.
They did. everything is under warranty regardless so it wont hurt my pocket as much per-say.
At first they replaces the pump, bc it was saying it was leaking air in the trunk section, so they replaced the pump same thing was happening after, then trunk lock and actuator, so after it said the doors are leaking, well in the end they diagnosed that all 4 doors have taken a poo, after that they wanted to make sure and took it to the dealership, well apparently the previous owners got rid of the car bc they didnt want to spend over $7k in parts and labor, so now im stuck with the car lol
so 4 doors locks are broken, and 2 of the soft close pumps are done also lol. Even my mechanic and the stealership saidm they have never seen all 4 go out at once, usually its like 2 then over time another one and so on, but not all 4.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:39 AM

2004 Cadillac DTS
Originally Posted by cedric1983
I will try it. Thanks
I pulled the fuse, but still no change. Should there be some message or warning light on the dash?
Old 08-17-2015, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is sounding more like your PSE pump has gone. Can you lock the doors from inside the car with the lock button that is on the dash? Also, do you hear any kind of hissing sounds coming from the doors?
Old 08-18-2015, 06:51 PM

2004 Cadillac DTS
It is sounding more like your PSE pump has gone. Can you lock the doors from inside the car with the lock button that is on the dash? Also, do you hear any kind of hissing sounds coming from the doors?
The only way to lock the doors is to push each *** on each door. No locking mechanism work. When I press the dash button, I hear a sound, but nothing happens. My doors no longer lock at speed. I bought a new Buick Skylark in 1986 without power door locks and said I'd never own a vehicle without power locks again. Guess what? I've been sent back to 30 years ago technology. My 1993 Lexus LS 400 still has working power door locks and trunk.

Last edited by cedric1983; 08-18-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Cedric1983, were you able to figure out whether it was just the PSE pump? I am having the exact same symptoms. Dead door locks and no soft close but can hear the pump motor running when you try to lock/unlock the doors using the FOB key. I read elsewhere that the PSE pump has some plastic valves and housing internally that can melt if the pump overheats or runs more than it should (likely due to a leak in one the system). I pulled out the pump, opened it up and sure enough one of the two main valve lines was melted. Getting to the pump and removing it was very easy. I have ordered the PSE pump and will put it in later this week. Hopefully that will fix that issue.

FYI, I also read that the new pump may need to be programmed via the Star system. Not sure if anyone here has any insight as to whether programming is necessary.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do believe that a new pump has to be programmed via STAR.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:47 PM

2004 Cadillac DTS
Originally Posted by E55LA
Cedric1983, were you able to figure out whether it was just the PSE pump? I am having the exact same symptoms. Dead door locks and no soft close but can hear the pump motor running when you try to lock/unlock the doors using the FOB key. I read elsewhere that the PSE pump has some plastic valves and housing internally that can melt if the pump overheats or runs more than it should (likely due to a leak in one the system). I pulled out the pump, opened it up and sure enough one of the two main valve lines was melted. Getting to the pump and removing it was very easy. I have ordered the PSE pump and will put it in later this week. Hopefully that will fix that issue.

FYI, I also read that the new pump may need to be programmed via the Star system. Not sure if anyone here has any insight as to whether programming is necessary.
No, I have not. I don't know where the pump is located. I since found out my rear headrests will not retract to the shelf. I also found out that a co-worker tried to start my car without the key to move it, pushed the start button and left vehicle on for a good ten minutes and that is when my problems began. I will probably take it to the dealership for diagnosis. Until then, I use the key to unlock the doors, and trunk.