GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC43 21 inch rims susceptible to curb rash?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 07:17 PM

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Mercedes GLC43
GLC43 21 inch rims susceptible to curb rash?

Got a GLC43 with 21 inch rims on order for delivery in February. Can an owner tell me - does the tire project out laterally so that the rims have some protection from curb rash?

curious as some cars have immunity from curb rash as the projecting tire protects them while for others the rims project further laterally making them more susceptible.

thanks.

Last edited by rihallix; 12-05-2016 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Added question mark to subject line for clarity. Fixed typo.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC43
I'd say they're pretty susceptible to curb rash. The rears are 35 series tires and the fronts are 40, so there's not much sidewall. I just looked and there's a small tire lip that protrudes out but nothing substantial for protection
Old 12-06-2016, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The best "bet" is to add Mercedes Wheel & Tire policy protection.. finished wheel faces if scuffed require wheel replacement - replacement is covered under that protection
Old 12-06-2016, 08:34 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
There is plenty of sidewall height wise and it is a very comfortable right in conjunction with air suspension.

However the Continentals that I've got on mine really offer no rim protection at all. As such definitely stay away from those kerbs.

My famous last words; I managed fine on my GL with 21" wheels and my Navara with 22" wheels. Just be careful and don't get impatient. That is how I scraped my Audi 18" wheels by taking a corner a little tight instead of just wait.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:21 PM

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43
I have a love/hate relationship with large diameter wheels with low profile tires. The 21s on the GLC look sharp by themselves, but with low profile tires on a vehicle as large as the GLC? I think they look a bit out of place at certain angles. Then there's the cost of the rubber: Tires that size aren't cheap and there aren't many options out there. Last I checked, TireRack only had 2 types that would fit. A set of 4 would run you $1470-$1700 and the wear ratings weren't that great. Also, the wider the tire, the more road noise they generate. Finally, there's the free bucket of anxiety you get every time you try and park the thing next to a curb. (Or "kerb" as our UK friends refer to them.)

My opinion? If you can, modify your order and get the 20" wheels instead. They look fine, you get an extra half an inch of sidewall, you save yourself $1000 and rubber will be slightly cheaper and generate less noise. You'll also get a smaller bucket of anxiety.

(The GLC43 is offered with 19" wheels in the UK - I wish those were an option here. You'd get an extra inch of sidewall with those and tires for those are far more plentiful and cheaper. C'mon Mercedes!)

On an unrelated note: They're not "rims", they're wheels. Rims are part of a wheel.

Last edited by FrostyZoob; 12-06-2016 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Added comments about road noise.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:33 PM

right to be forgotten
You don't really buy the GLC43 AMG as a budget/economy vehicle do you?
Old 12-06-2016, 01:32 PM

2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43
Originally Posted by dejongj
You don't really buy the GLC43 AMG as a budget/economy vehicle do you?
No, but the value equation just doesn't add up for me:

Advantages of 21" wheels:
  • They look great!
Disadvantages of 21" wheels:
  • Decreases ride quality. (Due to less sidewall.)
  • Generates more road noise. (Due to tire width.)
  • Costs more to maintain. (Replacement tires are expensive.)
  • Increases unsprung weight. (Bigger wheels weigh more, this decreases acceleration and increases wear and tear on the suspension.)
  • Detracts from the enjoyment of the vehicle. (Be more patient when pulling up to a toll booth! Be more careful when parking!)
Check out: http://www.caranddriver.com/features...d-tires-tested

If you like the looks of the 21" inch wheels so much, then hey, go for it. (Which you obviously did.) Personally, I don't see the point in "buying" a big list of negatives.

Last edited by FrostyZoob; 12-06-2016 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 12-06-2016, 01:51 PM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by FrostyZoob
No, but the value equation just doesn't add up for me:

Advantages of 21" wheels:
  • They look great!
Disadvantages of 21" wheels:
  • Decreases ride quality. (Due to less sidewall.)
  • Generates more road noise. (Due to tire width.)
  • Costs more to maintain. (Replacement tires are expensive.)
  • Increases unsprung weight. (Bigger wheels weigh more, this decreases acceleration and increases wear and tear on the suspension.)
  • Detracts from the enjoyment of the vehicle. (Be more patient when pulling up to a toll booth! Be more careful when parking!)
Check out: http://www.caranddriver.com/features...d-tires-tested

If you like the looks of the 21" inch wheels so much, then hey, go for it. (Which you obviously did.) Personally, I don't see the point in "buying" a big list of negatives.
That is if one agrees with your list of negatives - have you actually got one and drive one with the 21" wheels? Sure I agree and there is no denying that getting replacement tyres cost more than 19" version. And yes it could increase unsprung weight, would be interesting to see if that is actually the case for this particular model and the alternatively that are available.

But not for a single moment does it detract from enjoying the vehicle, reduce the ride quality etc.

If you want to build up some kind of justification as to why you want 80's style high sided walls to your vehicle then by all means get them. Personally I think it looks stupid on an AMG vehicle.

Great for off-road etc. And yes before your edit, I do appreciate the value of my money. Hence I'd like to enjoy my vehicle to the most and not worry about a few tyres and the cost when I've just spend a wad of cash on buying this model. Why not go the whole hog and get an AMG Line 300 or even better if your market supports it a 220d. Looks the same, smaller wheels and tyres, and much better on fuel economy....
Old 12-06-2016, 02:44 PM

2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43
And yes before your edit, I do appreciate the value of my money.
Glad to hear it. Have a good day.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
I might prefer the 21's if they came with std tires and not runflats. We have similarly designed 19" wheels on our C450 and the ride is a little harsh with those and there is no tire surface to protect against curb rash. However, the 20'' wheels don't really offer any measurable protection against curb rash either.

We will definitely be going with the 20's on our GLC 43 build. In person, I prefered the appearance of the black accented 20's over the 21's but that definitely boils down to personal taste.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:44 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
2019 C63s Cabriolet
The other positive of the bigger wheels not mentioned hereis better handling given less give in the side wall resulting in less lateral movement.

I've gone for the 20" myself as for me , it's the perfect combination of looks, handling ride quality and cost, but I completely understand those who've gone for the 21s - nice looking car Dejongj!
Old 12-07-2016, 03:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
no more
If my car hadn't been rejected back to the dealer, I would have been left with only one item of buyers remorse, the 21" wheels. They are simply not fit for purpose with the way the steering geometry is engineered on the 43, apart from all the impractical reasons given above.
They are the the emporer's new clothes, great looking or just wrong, dependant on your viewpoint.
Max
Old 12-08-2016, 05:07 AM

2019 C63s Cabriolet
Originally Posted by MaxFactor
If my car hadn't been rejected back to the dealer, I would have been left with only one item of buyers remorse, the 21" wheels. They are simply not fit for purpose with the way the steering geometry is engineered on the 43, apart from all the impractical reasons given above.
They are the the emporer's new clothes, great looking or just wrong, dependant on your viewpoint.
Max
Hey MaxF, did you ever try/test drive the 20" or 19" wheels, and if so, did this fix the problem?
To be fair, I'm sure there's a bunch of posters who will (now) tell us that the 21" are absolutely fine with no issues!
Old 12-08-2016, 05:51 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
GLC 43, MITSUBISHI PHEV, BMW Z1
Oh dear. Sorry to hear that you rejected the car.
Would you mind telling us why and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:01 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Matteus GLC AMG
Hey MaxF, did you ever try/test drive the 20" or 19" wheels, and if so, did this fix the problem?
To be fair, I'm sure there's a bunch of posters who will (now) tell us that the 21" are absolutely fine with no issues!
No, mine do 'crab'. Which I think it linked to the geometry setup, but I haven't had time to go back to the dealer unfortunately. As it only does it under full lock which is rare for me, except getting out of my driveway, and considering it handles beautifully it is not a big deal to me.
The following users liked this post:
Matteus GLC AMG (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 07:05 AM

2019 C63s Cabriolet
No, mine do 'crab'. Which I think it linked to the geometry setup, but I haven't had time to go back to the dealer unfortunately. As it only does it under full lock which is rare for me, except getting out of my driveway, and considering it handles beautifully it is not a big deal to me.
Thanks dejongj - by 'crab' do you mean mildly under steering, or something else? I didn't notice this in the car I test drove which had the same 20" wheels I've opted for.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:11 AM

right to be forgotten
Possibly - I always get my under/over steering mixed up.

On fully lock it is like the tyres are too sticky, like they don't want to rotate, and if you go to quick you'll just go straight ahead. It feels like thud-thud-thud-thud on the steering wheel, but only at the extreme lock, a tiny little bit of give will stop it.

Another way of describing it (but I don't think it is that) is like gearbox windup on the some old mechanical 4x4 vehicles. Like in my old Nissan Patrol when I engaged the hubs of the 4 wheels drive system and was on dry land it was the same effect. But I don't think it is that that is happening.

On my Audi quattro I have the same thing on full lock, there it is a case of sticky tyres, once they are worn more it doesn't happen. And it doesn't happen with all brands of tyres either.

I hope that makes a little more sense.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:21 AM

2019 C63s Cabriolet
Ha, yes, going straight on is under steer. Thanks!
(ps notice you like German cars - a Mercedes, a VW and an Audi!! )
Old 12-08-2016, 01:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
no more
Have subsequently driven a 250d on 20" which was fine. I'm considering a 350d or an sq5. But it's not comparing apples with apples, the GLC 43 has different geometry and steering components. Dejongj's experience is about right too and it's a case of are you happy with that or not. If my car had been otherwise perfect I'd have had to be accepting of the compromise.
Max
Matteus GLC AMG (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 02:54 PM

2019 C63s Cabriolet
Arrrggggh! Ok, now i've got myself is a quandary. Having spent considerable time looking at the pictures threads of cars like dejongj's and others, the 21" wheels are really growing on me! I've probably got a few weeks before I have to lock in the spec, so I can change from 20s to 21s. Any advice from the floor? Do any of the 21" ers (if I can call you that) find the ride a bit firm? Or any of the 20"ers wish they'd gone for the bigger ones. Any thoughts (other than calling me an indecisive tw@t) welcome!!

Last edited by Matteus GLC AMG; 12-08-2016 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-09-2016, 03:41 AM

right to be forgotten
Arrrggggh! Ok, now i've got myself is a quandary. Having spent considerable time looking at the pictures threads of cars like dejongj's and others, the 21" wheels are really growing on me! I've probably got a few weeks before I have to lock in the spec, so I can change from 20s to 21s. Any advice from the floor? Do any of the 21" ers (if I can call you that) find the ride a bit firm? Or any of the 20"ers wish they'd gone for the bigger ones. Any thoughts (other than calling me an indecisive tw@t) welcome!!
You indecisive tw@t

My SLine Audi on 18" wheels is much much more firm. As is my Golf R on 18" wheels. And so was the non-airmatic on 20" wheels and 19" wheels that I drove with AMG Line spec.

The suspension/wheels really don't feel firm, not even in Sport+ mode. My GL on its 295/35r21 wheels and tyres was much more firm in Sport mode. The suspension settings are very good in my opinion.

Our roads are terribly - we are like the poor (rich) area of the Bedfordshire council where our roads on the eastern part of the Chiltern hills don't get any attention. Lots of pot holes, and very uneven ground and negative camber. It deals with it admirably. Likewise when going down into towns like St Albans, Hemel Hempstead, Berkhamstead and Tring it deals with the roads and speed bumps very well. No crashing at all.

If your dealer doesn't have any to test drive - mine didn't nor any others in the area, and you are around you are more than welcome to come along for a drive.

For ride quality you won't regret it. Other points as raised are valid - they will cost more in tyres. But they suit the car so nicely it is like it was setup for them in the wheel arches as it fills them perfectly.
Matteus GLC AMG (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 03:53 AM

2019 C63s Cabriolet
Thanks dejongj, very helpful and detailed comment. Also, very kind offer regarding drive- unfortunately I'm the wrong side of the M25 being based near Horsham in West Sussex, but much appreciated anyway. You've certainly given me pause for thought anyway.
Anyone else any thoughts?
Old 12-09-2016, 04:47 AM

right to be forgotten
A lovely part of the country
Old 12-09-2016, 10:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC43AMG Polar White, 21" Alloys, Prem Plus Package, LED Intelligent Light, 360 Camera
I agree with @dejongj that the ride is pretty nice.. I had 21" alloys on my previous ML and ride in sport mode on that was lot firmer.. I also like the way the 21" look compared to the 20".. can't go wrong with this.. If you have a choice to add the 360 camera, I would add that in too...
Matteus GLC AMG (12-10-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 10:05 AM

right to be forgotten
That is indeed a good point rexgold If concerned about parking a bit close to the kerb then the 360 camera does really help. It was great on my GL.

Interesting that you experience the same in sport mode on your previous ML as I had on the GL. I can definitely notice a new map or generation of airmatic suspension. Just like with the ILS, it is an amazing upgrade on the GLC, and for me the ultimate must have optional extra.
Matteus GLC AMG (12-10-2016)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLC43 21 inch rims susceptible to curb rash?