SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Star diagnostic computer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 08:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 SL500, 2016 ATS, 2016 CTS 2015 Volt
Originally Posted by bha
I would say if it was working before, it's definitely com ports.

There is a very specific set of COM ports you must use for it to work. For example you need DAS to be looking at COMx within the VM session, then VMware needs to redirect that to COMx which is a 'physical' serial port on your machine.

Get either of these settings wrong, and things won't work. I believe the serial port speed and baud rate/parity plays a part too.

I looked around and finally found a post with the settings when mine wouldn't work. There is also some kind of test program in your DAS image (I think it's called CAESAR) that will tell you if the com ports are wrong. It isnt' too helpful in fixing things, but it will tell you if DAS can communicate with the multiplexer or not.

Also you have the ignition in the II position right? (I being accessory, II being run, III being start). All the lights on your dash should be on, and if you were to turn the key one more notch, the car would start. It needs to be there or DAS won't work properly. I don't believe the C3 is powered up by OBDII unless the car is in II or III position.
Thanks for taking the time to help guys--I know it is very difficult by remote control. At least I'm learning all of the details of the system throughout all of this. I am testing with the ignition on and I am matching the com ports (all Com1 in this case) but I'll try reseting them and see what happens. I'll get there but it sure is frutrating.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:21 PM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
Originally Posted by next2pool
Thanks for taking the time to help guys--I know it is very difficult by remote control. At least I'm learning all of the details of the system throughout all of this. I am testing with the ignition on and I am matching the com ports (all Com1 in this case) but I'll try reseting them and see what happens. I'll get there but it sure is frutrating.
What do you mean by 'matching' the Com ports?

One port is what DAS is 'connected' to in VMWare. So VMWare is creating a 'fake' port and DAS connects to that.

The second port is what your laptop 'connects' to the physical port on the back of your machine.

Are you saying they're both the same? They probably shouldn't be. There are values that both of them need to be set to. I'm sure mine are not the same at all.

For example, DAS will only run if set to a certain com port. That's the one you should have 'inside' VMWare.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
It's also important to know which version or VMWare software he's using. Sometimes you have to allow the VM host to delegate control of certain hardware (i.e. CD-ROM, Sound, etc) and updates to the program or VM itself can wipe these out.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:00 PM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
Agreed.

The best way to think of VMware is that it's a bubble. Things inside the bubble and outside the bubble may be connected, but they may be called different things.

VMware sessions run inside the bubble, and the bubble runs on your laptop.

COM1 inside the bubble (that DAS thinks is a serial port) may be called COM2 outside. In that case, COM2 is connected to the physical serial port of the machine.

The key thing to remember is that there needs to be a relationship between COM1 (inside the bubble) and COM2 (outside the bubble) in my example above. If not, DAS will break as it can't connect to the physical serial port.

As RobCL mentions, this could even change based on the VMware version..VMware can get involved in adjusting things inside the bubble if you let it.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by bha
I would say if it was working before, it's definitely com ports.

There is a very specific set of COM ports you must use for it to work. For example you need DAS to be looking at COMx within the VM session, then VMware needs to redirect that to COMx which is a 'physical' serial port on your machine.

Get either of these settings wrong, and things won't work. I believe the serial port speed and baud rate/parity plays a part too.

I looked around and finally found a post with the settings when mine wouldn't work. There is also some kind of test program in your DAS image (I think it's called CAESAR) that will tell you if the com ports are wrong. It isnt' too helpful in fixing things, but it will tell you if DAS can communicate with the multiplexer or not.

Also you have the ignition in the II position right? (I being accessory, II being run, III being start). All the lights on your dash should be on, and if you were to turn the key one more notch, the car would start. It needs to be there or DAS won't work properly. I don't believe the C3 is powered up by OBDII unless the car is in II or III position.
It looks like there are about 3 places where you can check and set the com ports--on the host computer, on the virtual machine settings as well as the device manager on windows of the virtual machine. I noticed that setting one will usually change the other as well. I also ran the diagnostics and all it does is show a communication error. I suspected the USB adapter for the serial interface, but I borrowed a laptop with the serial port and it made no difference. If anyone has one up and running with a USB hdd, I'd love to know what your com settings are when it is running. I suppose it could be a hardware issue but I'm suspecting software. What's frustrating is that when I got it, all I did is plug it all together and it worked. The second time it wouldn't. I may have screwed something up in the settings--who knows. Thanks again everyone !
Old 09-15-2014, 04:58 PM
NoC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S8, SL, and many many others
The C4's are wireless. No need to set com or usb.
Sorry can't help you.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:00 AM

W164 2011 benz
I have a question. I want to change the speed limitation, but I wonder whether the normal mb star can do it. It is cheaper than super one, and can the super mb star can change speed?
Old 09-22-2014, 01:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
I looking to get a C4, HD and cables. I have been looking at Alibaba and there are plenty of sellers. I want to ask for seller recommendations and how you paid them.

The ones I have email with are asking about $520 delivered to the US. They are asking for a money order or what is called T/T. I don't really feel comfortable just sending money to China so have anyone any suggestions on how to handle payment? I am thinking about some kind of escrow service.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:05 PM
Banned

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
SL500, Miata
Originally Posted by sgaar
I don't really feel comfortable just sending money to China...
I took a leap of faith and purchased an item from China 9 years ago. Since then I have purchased goods on 6 other occasions, including $1000 for a Star Diagnosis kit back in '08. I have never experienced any problems.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rod_84
I took a leap of faith and purchased an item from China 9 years ago. Since then I have purchased goods on 6 other occasions, including $1000 for a Star Diagnosis kit back in '08. I have never experienced any problems.
I found a seller that accepts Paypal so I went that route.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post5825616

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ts-o-pics.html

Last edited by Nuru; 09-25-2014 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Link referral
Old 10-01-2014, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by next2pool
I found a seller that accepts Paypal so I went that route.
Is there anyone in the Phoenix area that has a Star Computer? I'm still having trouble with mine and suspect the cable to the multiplexer, but it would be great to compare software and cables to get to the bottom of why mine won't work anymore.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:58 AM

W164 2011 benz
Usually, people buy mb star C3, and it is with high quality, it with three kinds of HDD, you can choose the one you want.

You just need to insert the HDD to your computer, it doesn't matter what system your computer.

And you can consult the seller if you have any question.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
I keep hearing that if you have a 2009 and earlier car, the C3 version is the way to go. If you have a 2010 and above the C4 is the way to go. The C4 allows either wireless connectivity to/from the Multiplexor or RJ45 Ethernet wired connectivity to/from the multiplexor.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 ml 350 84K
Just found a 3 on eBay with laptop and case 400US
Old 04-27-2015, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X5
Get one PCMCIA TO RS232 @ next2pool

@ next2pool
Mercedes Benz star c4 and star c3 ( with Moveable Hard Disk) have to work with a computer that is serial port.
If your computer is not serial port, use PCMCIA TO RS232

This is PCMCIA TO RS232 Work for Mb Star C3
Old 08-10-2015, 02:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 2012 M156
With regards to the slowness of the VM external HDD solution I take it that is mainly due to the slow throughput of the USB connection.

Has anyone run the VM natively on a SSD based laptop with a USB to Serial converter to connect to the MUX. I guess this also allows you to keep a backup of the software on the external HDD and with VMWare you can stop the VM from accessing the Internet.

Also with a C4 do we no longer need a serial port as it is we now have Wifi and Ethernet connections to the laptop?