SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Update on SL65 Engine Work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 01:05 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by NEMES1S
any updates on the bov threads? I've been following both and haven't seen videos or install info.
I (Jo.) don't follow those? I wonder if we got un-subbed.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:40 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
If you don't follow your own threads why do you bother posting.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:43 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by F1BHP
If you don't follow your own threads why do you bother posting.
I agree 100%, which is why I took over all the posting a few weeks ago (Jo).
Old 08-27-2015, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by Speedriven1
I (Jo.) don't follow those? I wonder if we got un-subbed.
Since you can't seem to find it:

https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-...et-bovs-2.html
Old 08-27-2015, 08:15 PM

sl600
By the way Jo I want some but really want to hear a sound clip. I also want to know what is involved for the install.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
Guys, I'm just going to chime in here on behalf of all the "shady" money racers out there. Most guys who run fast cars and race for money don't want to talk about what their cars run or what hardware they have under the hood. Sometimes they run at test and tune days with the clocks off. Other times, when they do talk about their cars, they're not fully truthful because they're waiting for the next guy to come along and spend a bunch money to "prove" their car isn't as fast as they say it is.

Don't misunderstand me, though. I get that we all have a desire to know what everyone else is running on their car(s) because we're all enthusiasts and we're all excited about this stuff ... but a desire to know doesn't equal a right to know, and if I shake a guy's hand and tell him "I won't tell people what setup you're running" there is nothing shady about, you know, not telling people what setup he's running. There's nothing "shady" in keeping your word to your customers.

That said, the car is on its way from Arizona and should be arriving any day. Once it's here and torn down, all will be revealed. As we've said from the beginning.

So, for those of you who are excited about one of these cars running in 9s, thanks for sticking around! You'll learn all about what's involved in the next few days, and we look forward to sharing in your excitement when this car runs 8s!

Jo, since you are the latest spokesman I would think you should consider a few things before putting so much pride into a hand shake. I think most of us are not ignorant to why people keep things a secret about their cars. Maybe you should think of the impact that it could have on your company for future customers who are looking to achieve the same performance from Speedriven and get no where near since they are not fully aware of the truth. If that's the case with this car, don't take credit for the tune, otherwise you have to expect people to ask what allowed this car to out perform so many of your others builds, which were openly discussed. I could care less either way, I'm not the guy at a bachelor party that thinks a stripper really likes me. At this point it will be interesting to see where the SL600 build goes, so go start a new thread. LOL Thanks for the picture, but its the other end I look forward to seeing, along with everyone else.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Damn....

Originally Posted by RaceHorse
Jo, since you are the latest spokesman I would think you should consider a few things before putting so much pride into a hand shake. I think most of us are not ignorant to why people keep things a secret about their cars. Maybe you should think of the impact that it could have on your company for future customers who are looking to achieve the same performance from Speedriven and get no where near since they are not fully aware of the truth. If that's the case with this car, don't take credit for the tune, otherwise you have to expect people to ask what allowed this car to out perform so many of your others builds, which were openly discussed. I could care less either way, I'm not the guy at a bachelor party that thinks a stripper really likes me. At this point it will be interesting to see where the SL600 build goes, so go start a new thread. LOL Thanks for the picture, but its the other end I look forward to seeing, along with everyone else.
Touche' brutha
Old 08-28-2015, 03:38 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Jo, since you are the latest spokesman I would think you should consider a few things before putting so much pride into a hand shake. I think most of us are not ignorant to why people keep things a secret about their cars. Maybe you should think of the impact that it could have on your company for future customers who are looking to achieve the same performance from Speedriven and get no where near since they are not fully aware of the truth. If that's the case with this car, don't take credit for the tune, otherwise you have to expect people to ask what allowed this car to out perform so many of your others builds, which were openly discussed. I could care less either way, I'm not the guy at a bachelor party that thinks a stripper really likes me. At this point it will be interesting to see where the SL600 build goes, so go start a new thread. LOL
While you're up on your high horse, you might take a minute to notice that this thread began talking about the car before Speedriven did (it kind of forced our hand, to be honest), and that we have- since our initial comment- said that we'd get into details once the car came back for a complete teardown.

As for not taking credit for the tune, that is beyond nonsense. We tuned it. It goes. It goes awesome. I know you'd probably rather see Eurocharged next to the record run (nothing against EC, just you seem to pitch for them quite often), but the fact is we tuned it, not them.

Finally, when the car gets here, we'll definitely start a new thread- and I sincerely hope you check it out. I think you'll be very happy with the level of transparency we're planning on providing and that it'll work towards changing what seems to be a really negative attitude from you against the shop.

We'll see, right?

Thanks for the picture, but its the other end I look forward to seeing, along with everyone else.
I hear you, but I doubt many people will get a different view of the car.

Last edited by Speedriven1; 08-28-2015 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Split the quote.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:10 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
SL65 R230
To be honest,I think its misleading to speak of 25-26 lbs of boost and claim we have the Worlds-fastest 1/4 mile SL600 and with no word to mention NOS.If I would not have talked my concerns about different trap speeds even now maybe everyone would think the car is so fast because of the tune or turbo setup. So now we are at the point we were years before and thars why everyone is diappointed. NOS is o.k., but I would prefer to communicate everything, then the customer knows what he gets for his money.Good luck with the project!
Old 08-31-2015, 01:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Do you have to take the car apart to find out what's on it? I don't understand. If the car is on a transport on it's way to you for an "8 second build" then it will no longer be raced in it's current condition so why not reveal what it has? In terms of street racing yea I get it, you don't want people to know what you run... But then why do you post it on dragtimes for everyone to see and say you don't have nitrous?

Anybody hear from the OP? Hope he's out enjoying the car
Old 09-01-2015, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
While you're up on your high horse, you might take a minute to notice that this thread began talking about the car before Speedriven did (it kind of forced our hand, to be honest), and that we have- since our initial comment- said that we'd get into details once the car came back for a complete teardown.

As for not taking credit for the tune, that is beyond nonsense. We tuned it. It goes. It goes awesome. I know you'd probably rather see Eurocharged next to the record run (nothing against EC, just you seem to pitch for them quite often), but the fact is we tuned it, not them.

Finally, when the car gets here, we'll definitely start a new thread- and I sincerely hope you check it out. I think you'll be very happy with the level of transparency we're planning on providing and that it'll work towards changing what seems to be a really negative attitude from you against the shop.

We'll see, right?

I hear you, but I doubt many people will get a different view of the car.
I apologize about not getting back to you sooner, sometimes when you are so high up on the horse it takes a while to come down. Sorry to see you have been riding the pony in the mean time.

For starters, I am truly happy to see Speedriven is still at it. There is no other company as passionate and dedicated to big build Mercedes V12TTs. I have no problem admitting my car wouldn't be making the power it has without your catless downpipes.

As far as forcing your (Speedriven's) hand, there has been many other opportunities to speak out in the past that were ignored, hopefully that won't happen moving forward. In the case of the SL600, once the tuner was revealed, all parties involved should assume a million questions when comparing the car to the said tuner's previous builds.

It makes no difference to me who tunes the car so let's not twist the truth, based upon your opinion. The main difference with Eurocharged becomes the approach. I have a very simple back yard build that yields what I consider decent power. Your company's signature mod are their intercoolers, along with the intake. All of my mods together cost less than what that product is offered for. Take no offense, but for me, your company along with Renntech's CL65 become the basis of comparison for modded V12TTs. If anything you should feel flattered not offended.

Good luck with the new build, it will be interesting to see.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Speedriven CL600 V12TT
Slow CL600 owner butting in here.
I'm very happy seeing a M275 break into the 9's. I don't care if it's NOS, race fuel, or if it's just a jet turbine strapped to the trunk. The point is that we're getting exposure. We're a very small community that love V12TT's and hate each other. It would be amazing to see a few more new faces with the same passion that we have, so maybe some time in the future when our engine bays gets checked out at shows, people will exclaim "Damn this dude has the Speedriven setup!" instead of "Dude why does this car have 4 intakes?"

Maybe my perspective is different, since people my age don't care about trap times or 150 shots. Hell, they don't care about cars at all. Those who do like stanced Miatas. I just wish sometimes that we could be happy that we're showing the world what we got. Go for it, Speedriven, you have my support, even if it's blind.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:35 PM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
clk63, cls55, ml63, (w210) E55
Originally Posted by AMG-Driver
My point was Race-Horses CL65 hit 190 MPH in 1Mile and this is with 640 whp and STOCK Turbos.All 55 I know of seem to hit a wall at approx.180 MPH in 1mile,no matter with how much mods. At higher speeds the V12 is pulling really strong...
agreed. our blowers at that point run out of breath. (i triggered the laser at 180.00 twice on different days) maybe with a weistec will the numbers improve.......but it will not be 190+

stage III monster wiestec clk63 black did low 190's in the mile. a streetable M113k is not capable of doing that. period.

i have raced the mile for a few years now and love to hear people talk about how fast they think they will go. let's just say their facial expressions after their first run is priceless. lol

i'm putting low 600's to the wheels and i can feel the car lose it's breath at 170+ mph. it is what it is.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:23 PM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
clk63, cls55, ml63, (w210) E55
To me, here in America, the 1/4 mile time is more important, than the 1 mile top speed.
with our cars? going to have to disagree with you. we are talking about Mercedes here.......not camaros and mustangs. 1/2 and 1 mile cars are streetable. can't really say that about a lot of track only slicks and front skinnies kinda cars?

There are no places in my day to day real world driving that would allow me show off my cars top end.
meh, you don't need too. tons of events to prove yourself.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:16 PM

sl600
Agreed 1 mile is much more meaningful as a representative of a cars performance. Not just the trap but the actual time also.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
We all know it's high levels of power needed to deliver a fast 1 mile speed. Personally, I enjoy driving my car on sunny afternoons and not saving it for events only. Pushing 180-200mph is not fair to my kids. My car remains stock inside, no cage, no skinnies. It maintains its integrity in appearance. With a 2.65 rear it is not a 1/4 mile killer. However if a decent powered car will run 130mph+ in a 1/4 that is more than enough to make most smile and it gives me half a chance to walk away. We don't have the open roads to go WOT for 20-30 seconds . I can pull up to many cars that couldn't come close to my speed in a mile, but will destroy me in the real world from a light. The opportunity to chase them down for another 2 minutes to pass doesn't exist even if I wanted to. I like my high end power, but the low end grunt is what most of us use on a regular basis, at least me.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:29 PM
Banned

Speedriven
One more tease before the beast starts coming together ...

Old 01-14-2016, 08:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
We all know it's high levels of power needed to deliver a fast 1 mile speed. Personally, I enjoy driving my car on sunny afternoons and not saving it for events only. Pushing 180-200mph is not fair to my kids. My car remains stock inside, no cage, no skinnies. It maintains its integrity in appearance. With a 2.65 rear it is not a 1/4 mile killer. However if a decent powered car will run 130mph+ in a 1/4 that is more than enough to make most smile and it gives me half a chance to walk away. We don't have the open roads to go WOT for 20-30 seconds . I can pull up to many cars that couldn't come close to my speed in a mile, but will destroy me in the real world from a light. The opportunity to chase them down for another 2 minutes to pass doesn't exist even if I wanted to. I like my high end power, but the low end grunt is what most of us use on a regular basis, at least me.
I agree with you. High speed runs are exhilarating... But when you have kiddos, that kinda changes things.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
So what you're saying is you've disassembled and cleaned parts in the past 4+ months and still haven't said what was on the car?
Old 01-14-2016, 10:56 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
So what you're saying is you've disassembled and cleaned parts in the past 4+ months and still haven't said what was on the car?
You mean the red car? We did a press release on that back in October. Basically our PKG3 and fat rear tires driven by a customer that wasn't afraid to break stuff.

I'll see if I can find the PR and re-post it- but this place is a little weird about that stuff. We did that ethanol CL600 and set the fastest 1/4 mile run almost 8 mph faster than the next quickest guy a while back http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...ag-Racing.html ... it was on TopSpeed, AutoChannel, eMercedesBenz, but I never saw it here.

Maybe I should re-post that. LOL!

Have fun typing, guys. I'm gonna go do car stuff for a while.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
You mean the red car? We did a press release on that back in October. Basically our PKG3 and fat rear tires driven by a customer that wasn't afraid to break stuff.

I'll see if I can find the PR and re-post it- but this place is a little weird about that stuff. We did that ethanol CL600 and set the fastest 1/4 mile run almost 8 mph faster than the next quickest guy a while back http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...ag-Racing.html ... it was on TopSpeed, AutoChannel, eMercedesBenz, but I never saw it here.

Maybe I should re-post that. LOL!

Have fun typing, guys. I'm gonna go do car stuff for a while.
And nitrous... don't forget the nitrous... again!

10.5 @ 128? Am I supposed to be impressed? Yes please go work on cars since you have a LONG way to catch up to me "typing". 9.6@146 full interior driven to and from the track. NO NITROUS. Guess I don't just type

Last edited by blackbenzz; 01-14-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Scion XB, BMW 335D, Porsche 997TT, 1997 Jeep Wrangler, 1974 Vespa, 2011 Cayenne, Diamond DA40
car stuff?

Speedriven1 typed "Have fun typing, guys. I'm gonna go do car stuff for a while".

Maybe you should follow through with some of your old promises. Like sending our shop the correct band clamps for your downpipes that didn't fit ( over a year ago?) Promising more than once that they are "on the way"

Last edited by caraudio1; 01-14-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:25 AM

SL65 R230
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
And nitrous... don't forget the nitrous... again!

10.5 @ 128? Am I supposed to be impressed? Yes please go work on cars since you have a LONG way to catch up to me "typing". 9.6@146 full interior driven to and from the track. NO NITROUS. Guess I don't just type
Hi,

I saw your 9.6@ 146 run on Youtube.

How much HP does your CLK have aprox. and how much weight?
Are you using a 3,0 Liter Whipple Blower?
Old 01-15-2016, 11:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by AMG-Driver
Hi,

I saw your 9.6@ 146 run on Youtube.

How much HP does your CLK have aprox. and how much weight?
Are you using a 3,0 Liter Whipple Blower?
Hi,

I can't answer either of those questions for the time of the runs since the scales were closed and I don't really care about dyno numbers so I don't use them. Full interior runs. If I were to guess race weight would be between 3500 and 3750lbs

2.9L Whipple at 17PSI
Old 01-15-2016, 12:38 PM

SL65 R230
Ah,o.k, nice. Are you using 5.5l AMG Motor as a basis or 4.3l standard V8 from the CLK?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Update on SL65 Engine Work