Sponsored by:

A little help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 SL600
A little help

So, the car I'm hear to ask about is an '06 SL600. I apologize, but there's way more mod talk in this section than over on the SL tabs! I think it's just crickets hanging out on the SL side.

Anyway, I'm about to get the stage 1 RennTech which purportedly takes the car from 493hp/590tq to 625hp/745tq. Sounds great, and I'll be interested in seeing the true results. I've got to find a place to dyno the car and get the before and afters (something tells me the stock SL600 is already better than 493, they just don't market it that way).

After getting that done, the big concern is how the hell do I get all that power to the pavement. Are things like upgrading the toe links a big help? Do I need some bigger rubber (maybe try moving the stock 285s to 305s?)? I'm not looking to get out of control modding the car, but I don't mind spending a few $$, if it's worth the results.

Thanks for the input! I own an E, so I don't feel quite as bad. When I trolled these forums more (back when I first got the Beast) the people here always had the answers!

Thanks,
-Rodney
Old 07-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
RennTech's numbers are about there, but you have a good hunch (lol). Either way, the initial bang on these cars is GREAT!! Now, like you say, traction will be an issue so you will need wider and or better tires. Then, the drivetrain begins to stress, so yes, the Renntech toe links come in handy. Also, you may want to get rotors and wheels, which could drop you almost 20lbs at each corner . Then you know what spin is!!

Look for a few members that have the fastest Mercedes on here and you'll see they are NOT AMGs, but 600s.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:37 PM

'06 SL600
Originally Posted by jangy
RennTech's numbers are about there, but you have a good hunch (lol). Either way, the initial bang on these cars is GREAT!! Now, like you say, traction will be an issue so you will need wider and or better tires. Then, the drivetrain begins to stress, so yes, the Renntech toe links come in handy. Also, you may want to get rotors and wheels, which could drop you almost 20lbs at each corner . Then you know what spin is!!

Look for a few members that have the fastest Mercedes on here and you'll see they are NOT AMGs, but 600s.
I never really thought about that . So, lighter rims/rotors make less work for the HP that you have. But the consequence is I may just be sitting there like I'm doing a brake stand! Sounds like the toe links and the tires are a must, if I'm going to have some fun with this thing. If I could get 305s on this car without doing any work in the wells, I'll be stoked. Does rim size have any real relevance (i.e. 18s vs. 20s?)
Old 07-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Rim size matters HUGE, because it all has to do with the position of the weight. The closer to the hub, the less it gets involved. I've seen it a zillion times on even 19" HREs. It just matters. Why you think dragsters run small diameter rims?

My wheels and rotors make a world of difference in feel and response. the front wheels respond differently, too since they are just gyroscopes. Lots of fun to be had with physics...
Old 07-29-2008, 10:00 PM

'06 SL600
Originally Posted by jangy
Rim size matters HUGE, because it all has to do with the position of the weight. The closer to the hub, the less it gets involved. I've seen it a zillion times on even 19" HREs. It just matters. Why you think dragsters run small diameter rims?

My wheels and rotors make a world of difference in feel and response. the front wheels respond differently, too since they are just gyroscopes. Lots of fun to be had with physics...
Thanks for the help...So, understanding that typically smaller is better for performance, I'm assuming it's still possible to design a 19 that might have better performance than an 18 (given material used, and the placement of that weight in relation to the center of the wheel).

So, are there any 19s out there better than the stock 18" AMGs that the car came with? Are there any 18s out there that are better than the stock 18" AMGs? I'd like to improve the look (basically I want some chrome), but I hate to spend a bunch of money to improve the look, but worsen the performance!

Thanks, again.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by metalica_23
Thanks for the help...So, understanding that typically smaller is better for performance, I'm assuming it's still possible to design a 19 that might have better performance than an 18 (given material used, and the placement of that weight in relation to the center of the wheel).

So, are there any 19s out there better than the stock 18" AMGs that the car came with? Are there any 18s out there that are better than the stock 18" AMGs? I'd like to improve the look (basically I want some chrome), but I hate to spend a bunch of money to improve the look, but worsen the performance!

Thanks, again.
HREs are what i run. the 18s are about 10lbs lighter and have the same diameter and the 19s weight less but have a longer stroke arm. Honestly, i think light 19s run like stock 18s. They are an ok compromise for looks and performance.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:09 PM

'06 SL600
Perfect, thanks. You mentioned rotors as well. I know everything comes at a cost. Do you consider them a bang for the buck improvement typically? I know at some point, you just need to spend whatever it takes to get it faster, but I'm just looking for as many bang for the buck items as possible.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by metalica_23

Thanks, again.
Try CCW's 19"'s (good construction/lighter than OEM/fair price) with Evosport rotors...good luck.

http://www.ccwheel.com/files/wheelprofiles.php

They don't go crazy on wheel lip size (max out at 3"), but for the money they are a great wheel.