how to get get car smogable again in California

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 86 Posts
2014 cls63 a amg. 2018 AMG GTR
how to get get car smogable again in California

Well I give up on trying to keep the mods and smogging it. No one seems to be able to help and I have been trying for months. In a couple weeks my tags will be 6 months expired at which point I believe they will impound car if I get pulled over

Moving forward. What do I need to do in order to get this thing to pass a smog ? I know they dont even hook up sniffer now but look at ready status on computer plus do visual. Can I keep my TB, pulley and injectors atleast ? Probably need a new tune without the headers I imagine. I still have my factory manifolds and cats. What a royal pain in the ***.......
Old 08-05-2015, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes
Try the smog stations that are free if you don't pass. Pulley, injectors, throttle, and anything non exhaust should be just fine.

Which headers do you have?
Old 08-05-2015, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Eurocharged Long tubes.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
The only problem is the header... other mods are OK. The real problem is the visual inspection, they can see header and no primary CAT from my Kleemann header. I paid someone extra to get pass in SoCal. Good luck !
Old 08-06-2015, 03:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E46 M3, G37s
If you live in SoCal there has to be someone that can "pass it" wink wink. Try the valley area. Van nuys, sun valley and north Hollywood. I know plenty of places that'll do it but it'll cost a bit more than a usual smog test.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
i've alreday explained to you what to do. I passed with no problems and I have MBH headers & no front cats. I took off my CAI and put the stock airbox back on and since my headers are about 5yrs old they have a bronzed look to the top of them so they either didn't warrant a deeper look or they just ignored it and at no time did they get down on the ground and look under my car. My car also sounds stock (before the muffler mod) from what I remember your car was quite a bit louder than my car.
I simply rolled in and they hooked it up to the OBII, popped the hood and hit a couple low rpm revs and said ok we're just waiting for the print out and I was done and off to DMV I went. I had'nt registered the car since 2012 but I never got pulled over when i drove it which was only a total of 261 miles in 2014 LOL

Last edited by Hammer Down; 08-06-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Hammer Down
i've alreday explained to you what to do. I passed with no problems and I have MBH headers & no front cats. I took off my CAI and put the stock airbox back on and since my headers are about 5yrs old they have a bronzed look to the top of them so they either didn't warrant a deeper look or they just ignored it and at no time did they get down on the ground and look under my car. My car also sounds stock (before the muffler mod) from what I remember your car was quite a bit louder than my car.
I simply rolled in and they hooked it up to the OBII, popped the hood and hit a couple low rpm revs and said ok we're just waiting for the print out and I was done and off to DMV I went. I had'nt registered the car since 2012 but I never got pulled over when i drove it which was only a total of 261 miles in 2014 LOL
So all your readiness monitors must have been good. I wouldn't have expected that. I guess because we still have rear cats. I put factory muffler back on but car is still pretty loud. Resonators removed on yours too ? I know mine was missing one readiness. something to do with smog pump or something. My indy scanned it for me a while ago. Maybe if I just get that fixed I could pass as long as they dont do an intense visual. I have the stainless water tank underhood. Maybe I should remove it so nothing stand out. That would be too awesome if it didnt need anything else. Headers are hard to see and most people wouldnt suspect mods on a car like this like they would a Mustang or similar.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Eldorado Sean
If you live in SoCal there has to be someone that can "pass it" wink wink. Try the valley area. Van nuys, sun valley and north Hollywood. I know plenty of places that'll do it but it'll cost a bit more than a usual smog test.
Northern Ca .... I tried the expensive smog route but came up empty.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by dllhg
So all your readiness monitors must have been good. I wouldn't have expected that. I guess because we still have rear cats. I put factory muffler back on but car is still pretty loud. Resonators removed on yours too ? I know mine was missing one readiness. something to do with smog pump or something. My indy scanned it for me a while ago. Maybe if I just get that fixed I could pass as long as they dont do an intense visual. I have the stainless water tank underhood. Maybe I should remove it so nothing stand out. That would be too awesome if it didnt need anything else. Headers are hard to see and most people wouldnt suspect mods on a car like this like they would a Mustang or similar.
I still have the stock resonator
Old 08-12-2015, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Had my local indy check my car again today. He said all the emission perimeters had passed and that is all the smog shop should need besides visual. Pretty sure my resonators are removed. Car is pretty darn loud. Going to remove my stainless under hood water reservoir since it stands out and I dont want them to look further. If they look under the car I guess they would see it has the secondary cats and hopefully wont know there are supposed to be four of them. That and hope the dont see the headers.

Wish me luck
Old 08-12-2015, 05:44 PM

E46 M3, G37s
CA smog is a PITA, but I found a way around it for a little. For instance registration is expired and you need Smog. Pay the fee and get the paper, ask for a 1day pass.
You can leave it blank until you get pulled over. Then quickly fill it in saying I'm going to get sm
Old 08-12-2015, 05:45 PM

E46 M3, G37s
I just failed CA smog too LOL. I know a way around it though, been driving around with May 2015 on the license plate and no body has pulled me over. PM me if you want to know more.