Sponsored by:

To leave stock or mild mod.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 01:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 Ferrari 575 M
To leave stock or mild mod.

So, I've had my E55 for almost two years now. It is 2006, 76k miles and 100% virgin stock down to the air filters (CM30 pump doesn't count). Never had any modifications on it, EVER.

I am satisfied with performance, but I was thinking of doing the 2nd cat+ resonator delete and EC tune as only two mods. I want more sound out of the V8 and any extra horses EC tune can give without compromising reliability is a plus.

Reliability is important, as car is and has been my DD.

I also want to keep the old resonator and cats just in case I decide to sell it and take it back to stock.

Any cons to doing the EC tune and exhaust mods? Any possibility of EC tune blowing up the otherwise stock motor?

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2017, 02:12 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I may not be the greatest help, since I haven't had my car for very long but...

My car has been very reliable for me so far, and according to my folder of receipts, for the PO who owned it for 9 years as well. He didn't put a ton of miles on it - maybe 20k max? Mod list is quite extensive though.

-185mm pulley
-Heat exchanger and split cooling
-ARH longtubes, x-pipe, fully catless
-Intake tubes/inlets
-550cc injectors
-Looped fuel rail
-Quaife LSD
-Tuned by Jeremy @ OE

Probably forgetting some stuff. Anyway, the sturdiness of these motors/trans is one of the reasons which convinced me to buy one.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz E63
Stock
Old 02-17-2017, 11:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I'm in the same boat. Just recently pulled the trigger and bought the 83.7mm pulley and stage 1 tune from Eurocharged. This is probably the only mod I'm going to do along with intake/exhaust.

The tune/pulley combo is proven and reliable so I'm not too worried about it.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:24 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Jerry has perfected the M113k tune.

We also have a warranty that covers the engine if our tune was the cause of it blowing up.
http://www.eurocharged.com/warranty-and-returns

-Tiff
Old 02-17-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 amg
Don't go mids I would only use long tubes more cooling and more gains plus a wicked tone .As far as tuning if you go with a can I would go with race iq or oe If you decided to go on a dyno , I would use ec race iq or oe !
Old 02-17-2017, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Originally Posted by oneslow55
Don't go mids I would only use long tubes more cooling and more gains plus a wicked tone .As far as tuning if you go with a can I would go with race iq or oe If you decided to go on a dyno , I would use ec race iq or oe !
I agree with what you said except for the mids. Plenty of 55k cars in the 10's with mids. Beyond the premium longtubes 3k plus there isn't that much gain at the track. For 600 you get 95% of gains. Don't focus on peak because you spend VERY little time there. Look across the entire band and look at the track numbers. Unless your shooting to break records or running 1/2 mile or more mids have a lot to offer on the street. If your talking the e63 longtubes are the only way to go
The following users liked this post:
oneslow55 (02-21-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
You won't see that much of a difference in tone if you run the stock mufflers even without the 2nd cats and resonater. Most are still not happy. Get c63 mufflers or any other AMG muffler. The e55 muffler is the most silent of them all

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
So, I've had my E55 for almost two years now. It is 2006, 76k miles and 100% virgin stock down to the air filters (CM30 pump doesn't count). Never had any modifications on it, EVER.

I am satisfied with performance, but I was thinking of doing the 2nd cat+ resonator delete and EC tune as only two mods. I want more sound out of the V8 and any extra horses EC tune can give without compromising reliability is a plus.

Reliability is important, as car is and has been my DD.

I also want to keep the old resonator and cats just in case I decide to sell it and take it back to stock.

Any cons to doing the EC tune and exhaust mods? Any possibility of EC tune blowing up the otherwise stock motor?

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2017, 09:30 PM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
Leave it stock...it's a slippery slope
Old 02-21-2017, 12:11 AM

E55 amg
Originally Posted by Ls1toAMG
I agree with what you said except for the mids. Plenty of 55k cars in the 10's with mids. Beyond the premium longtubes 3k plus there isn't that much gain at the track. For 600 you get 95% of gains. Don't focus on peak because you spend VERY little time there. Look across the entire band and look at the track numbers. Unless your shooting to break records or running 1/2 mile or more mids have a lot to offer on the street. If your talking the e63 longtubes are the only way to go
My buddy had mids and I had long tubes and I can tell you the the power band is way different .also ,with the long tubes the tune changes a lot you can run more timing and the whole power band is very violent .Who ever tells you that the mids and long tubes are Similar and that your not going to see difference is Lying to you.Call any good tuner or even ec and ask them see what they tell you your going to be surprised ..
Old 02-21-2017, 09:50 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
04 55
mids keep the low end torque , long tubes move the power band up into the higher rpms which is great for qtr mile but mids are better on the street - run what you want but figure out what you are trying to accomplish
Old 02-21-2017, 09:56 PM

E55 amg
Originally Posted by new55
mids keep the low end torque , long tubes move the power band up into the higher rpms which is great for qtr mile but mids are better on the street - run what you want but figure out what you are trying to accomplish

Not correct !!
Old 02-21-2017, 11:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
OP: I humbly suggest you start with the things that need the most help. You've addressed the intercooler pump (which is a great start). Next, and before any other "performance" mods, change out your charge air cooler. Shardul provides some nice units, but there are several sources as I understand.

The cooling will insulate your tune against heat-induced timing retard, and will keep your car running faster than another E55 with an upgraded pulley only, as the heat it produces robs power.

If you don't mind me offering another suggestion, I second (or third) what others have said. Get mid-length headers installed. Biggest bang for the buck hands down. Having them will knock out the primary cats along with them (which will give you more of the sound you're looking for.

Grab a seat of earbuds and have a listen:

My buddy had mids and I had long tubes and I can tell you the the power band is way different .also ,with the long tubes the tune changes a lot you can run more timing and the whole power band is very violent .Who ever tells you that the mids and long tubes are Similar and that your not going to see difference is Lying to you.Call any good tuner or even ec and ask them see what they tell you your going to be surprised ..
I was told point blank, by EC in-fact, that the LTs produce slighly more horsepower at the expense of some torque. Numbers are only numbers in the end, area under curve wins out. But if you know of anyone in my area with LTs, I'd happily take the Pepsi challenge.
Max.H (02-23-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 04:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
99 ford lightning
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...e-numbers.html

scroll down to #6 for the dyno chart on my car gains everywhere, stock pulley, tune headers.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:56 AM

E55 amg
Originally Posted by 99lightning
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...e-numbers.html

scroll down to #6 for the dyno chart on my car gains everywhere, stock pulley, tune headers.
Thanks for posting this 99 lighting ,people get convinced about wrong information about long tubes .
Old 02-22-2017, 08:01 AM

E55 amg
[QUOTE=Rob CL;7063561]OP: I humbly suggest you start with the things that need the most help. You've addressed the intercooler pump (which is a great start). Next, and before any other "performance" mods, change out your charge air cooler. Shardul provides some nice units, but there are several sources as I understand.

The cooling will insulate your tune against heat-induced timing retard, and will keep your car running faster than another E55 with an upgraded pulley only, as the heat it produces robs power.

If you don't mind me offering another suggestion, I second (or third) what others have said. Get mid-length headers installed. Biggest bang for the buck hands down. Having them will knock out the primary cats along with them (which will give you more of the sound you're looking for.

Grab a seat of earbuds and have a listen:

Long tubes makes 55 whp ,mids make 22 whp numbers don't lie and the fattest e55 around all run tubes .also long tubes can cool with car down more and the tune can take more timing
shardul (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I vote to leave it stock. It's amazing, when you have a fully built E55 at a car show it's :meh: Bring a super clean bone stock E55 to a car show and it's green eyes and respect.

I modded the living bajeezus out of mine, it was fun, but it also screamed "racer" rather than "classy luxury muscle"
Old 02-22-2017, 08:36 AM

E55 amg
Originally Posted by 2000UZJ
I vote to leave it stock. It's amazing, when you have a fully built E55 at a car show it's :meh: Bring a super clean bone stock E55 to a car show and it's green eyes and respect.

I modded the living bajeezus out of mine, it was fun, but it also screamed "racer" rather than "classy luxury muscle"
Stop your lies you know you like your modded e55 .stock is to boring at least do headers tune and cooling I would say still
Old 02-22-2017, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Stop your lies you know you like your modded e55 .stock is to boring at least do headers tune and cooling I would say still
ok ok ok I lied. It was a total blast having a car that caused ear drums to bleed.

My dad has a bone stock '06 that doesn't even have a crease in the leather. Mine looked like it fell down a cliff (not really but comparatively speaking). That is what I think of when people say bone stock, a showroom condition E55)
Old 02-22-2017, 09:13 AM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
'06 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Rob CL
OP:
I was told point blank, by EC in-fact, that the LTs produce slighly more horsepower at the expense of some torque.
This doesn't align with my results (and the results of countless others) from both the E55 and the Lightning supercharged 5.4 motors. There are many more differences between the available headers than just primary length:

MBH: 1 3/4" primaries, T-321 flanges ($$), merge spikes, 3" collector
EC/Kleemann: 1 5/8" short primaries (actual ID down to 1.52" in spots), 2.75" collector
ARH: Full length, 1.875" primaries, merge spikes, 3" collector

In my experience the EC/Kleemann headers produce slightly better low-end response when the M113K is off boost (N/A), and the pulley is disengaged. As soon as the pulley is engaged, the MBH/ARH start to show their superiority in scavenging.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sold - 05' E55
^
I agree, and I would recommend an x-pipe, just so you don't get the dreaded drone.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
Fair enough, but I was talking about the longtubes offered by EC. And again, that's just what was told to me when I was weighing the two options.

I'm still down to line up with another e55 to see the difference.

Originally Posted by DVC
This doesn't align with my results (and the results of countless others) from both the E55 and the Lightning supercharged 5.4 motors. There are many more differences between the available headers than just primary length:

MBH: 1 3/4" primaries, T-321 flanges ($$), merge spikes, 3" collector
EC/Kleemann: 1 5/8" short primaries (actual ID down to 1.52" in spots), 2.75" collector
ARH: Full length, 1.875" primaries, merge spikes, 3" collector

In my experience the EC/Kleemann headers produce slightly better low-end response when the M113K is off boost (N/A), and the pulley is disengaged. As soon as the pulley is engaged, the MBH/ARH start to show their superiority in scavenging.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 Ferrari 575 M
Thanks for the replies gents. I know that tune and cat+resonator delete would be the only mods I would do to the car. Headers, split cooling, pulleys are 100% off the table.

2000UZJ's post reflects part of my argument for leaving it 100% stock. Right now my car, is 100% factory stock with immaculate interior. Non-car people ask if car is brand new when they first get in. Local indy also commented on how clean the car is for 2006 and it does not look the age at all. Car lived all its life in AZ, CA, and NV and never saw snow or bad weather.

Thinking is to be done.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:31 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
Thanks for the replies gents. I know that tune and cat+resonator delete would be the only mods I would do to the car. Headers, split cooling, pulleys are 100% off the table.

2000UZJ's post reflects part of my argument for leaving it 100% stock. Right now my car, is 100% factory stock with immaculate interior. Non-car people ask if car is brand new when they first get in. Local indy also commented on how clean the car is for 2006 and it does not look the age at all. Car lived all its life in AZ, CA, and NV and never saw snow or bad weather.

Thinking is to be done.
"My dad has a bone stock '06 that doesn't even have a crease in the leather. Mine looked like it fell down a cliff (not really but comparatively speaking). That is what I think of when people say bone stock, a showroom condition E55)"

^I am in the same boat, my dad has an '06 designo and I kinda feel a little ricer-ish with my loud mongrel... its a benz and should be classy and as an AMG should be fast

I vote to throw a can tune on add a Heat Exchanger to get the most out of it and call it a day... Not too much of a dip in reliability and you will be all grins as well

Last edited by BoostedAero; 02-22-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Dodge 2500
How long do you plan on keeping the car? As someone who just bought an E55, I was keen on stock cars and devalued modded cars. I think as these cars age, that will be the norm.

-Kevin

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.