Sponsored by:

straight pipes vs X pipe(need help)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
e63 amg w212 6.3
straight pipes vs X pipe(need help)

Hi, so my e63 amg has no cross over set up at the moment, where the resonator was It Is deleted with two straight pipes.
But next week my e63 amg exhaust is going to be modified and I love the straight through pipe sound with primary and secondry cats still intact but everyone keeps saying that both the exhaust gasses should be equalized on a performance car.
As far as the X pipe goes it gives it a raspier tone as ive seen in videos.
Would my car be running "****" without an X-pipe or could I get away with having straight throughs?
I need an expert here to help me out with this...
There has been theories that xpipe give more tq and hp as well... never seen anyone post a dyno video before and after though to prove this theory on a 63 amg.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:25 AM

e63 amg w212 6.3
I prefer
*resonator delete with straight throughs*
than
(sounds more fluttery to me....)
Old 04-17-2014, 10:27 AM

e63 amg w212 6.3
by not having an equaliser will I be putting harm to the engine..?
Old 04-17-2014, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black '10 E63
It's my understanding that you're not harming your engine by not running an x-pipe.
An x-pipe does cancel some sound frequencies and pulses like a muscle car. X-pipes are also reported to do a better job at scavenging the exhaust pulses when compared to straight through pipes. Whether x-pipes make more tq and hp is widely debated.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS400
damn resonator delete sounds alot better then x pipe
Old 04-18-2014, 03:48 AM

e63 amg w212 6.3
im running the resonator delete with straights set up on my e63 amg. heres a pic.

And the sound I get from the car is perfect to me... People with xpipes sounds to fluttery or just to... wild..
Im getting primary cats changed to 200cell and secondary changed to 100cell soon with PLM Shorty headers
Hopfully I will have no drone in the car.
Even though the exhaust shop im taking it to works on amgs and tunes them tries to convince me that e63 don't have secondary cats... thinks im a fool maybe?

Last edited by faz492; 04-18-2014 at 03:52 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:44 PM

Black '10 E63
X-pipes do not have droning issues. Straight pipes may...
I have a x-pipe and I couldn't be happier.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:09 PM

e63 amg w212 6.3
Originally Posted by sikm3
X-pipes do not have droning issues. Straight pipes may...
I have a x-pipe and I couldn't be happier.

I said I hope I don't have drone from the set up im going with :P
I know x pipes don't create a drone :P But they sound a bit to wild and brutal to me.
I prefer the straight pipe sound but I guess when my cars being done ill ask them to put some flanges with xpipe and straight pipe and see which sound I like better at the end aye. (im a really picky guy)
Old 04-18-2014, 08:27 PM

Black '10 E63
Your shop is correct, there are no secondary cats on this particular model. What you think are secondary cats are actually resonators. Enjoy the great noise these engines make. It's addictive.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:19 AM

e63 amg w212 6.3
Originally Posted by sikm3
Your shop is correct, there are no secondary cats on this particular model. What you think are secondary cats are actually resonators. Enjoy the great noise these engines make. It's addictive.

But they look like cats... How do you know this for a fact.. I need proof haha
(not trying to sound like an ***) but I wana be 100% before I remove them.
Why isn't there secondary cats in this model?
Old 04-19-2014, 10:27 AM

CLS400
so straight pipes has drone and x pipe is more raspy?
Old 04-19-2014, 12:19 PM

e63 amg w212 6.3
not true, I have straight pipes and it has no drone.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:22 PM

CLS400
Originally Posted by faz492
not true, I have straight pipes and it has no drone.
ah okay im just tryna decipher what im reading in this thread.

If thats the case ima go straight pipes with my meister exhaust
Old 04-19-2014, 01:27 PM

e63 amg w212 6.3
if you want a rough idea between the xpipe and straight pipe sound I've linked two videos above, Having the straight pipes I love the sound personally.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:37 PM

Black '10 E63
But they look like cats... How do you know this for a fact.. I need proof haha
(not trying to sound like an ***) but I wana be 100% before I remove them.
Why isn't there secondary cats in this model?
I'm staring at the removed pipes in my garage. If they're secondary cats, they don't do much since I just passed my emissions test yesterday without them.

Last edited by sikm3; 04-19-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:33 AM

e63 amg w212 6.3
could you PM me a picture of them from the inside or post a picture of them here with the light pointing in them if that's not to much of a trouble for you?
Old 10-08-2015, 03:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E63 AMG
Myth

Hi, so my e63 amg has no cross over set up at the moment, where the resonator was It Is deleted with two straight pipes.
But next week my e63 amg exhaust is going to be modified and I love the straight through pipe sound with primary and secondry cats still intact but everyone keeps saying that both the exhaust gasses should be equalized on a performance car.
As far as the X pipe goes it gives it a raspier tone as ive seen in videos.
Would my car be running "****" without an X-pipe or could I get away with having straight throughs?
I need an expert here to help me out with this...
There has been theories that xpipe give more tq and hp as well... never seen anyone post a dyno video before and after though to prove this theory on a 63 amg.
Well looks like I'm too late for this one - anyway just in case someone else comes along and read this. Alright let's just take it from the top, I always like to start with things that make sense so here we go. Let's look at the pinnacle of motorsport and see what those guys are doing. Ever seen a Formula1 car with a x-pipe on? Ever seen a Lemans car with a x-pipe on? GP2, Indy NO NO NO and NO. It's very simple guys. The faster you can get cold air in and hot air out of your engine, the more HP you can get out of it. In short any exhaust without proper tuning won't work well. This is called balance. Without proper tuning you will gain somewhere but loose somewhere else. With that said any x-pipe is not free-flowing as some people say (some better than others, merged pipes are best), anyone who tells you that x-pipe is free-flowing is full of *** (hence the reason it is quieter). Now back to the e63, have you looked inside your resonator? Clearly the factory exhaust system was designed and tuned to have very few restrictions. Actually inside your resonator there is small tube that connects one pipe to the other so the factory pipe is closer to a h-pipe than it is to a x-pipe. This connection is so small that the engineers were propably trying to cancel out some of the vibrations and energy noise yet still keep the flow as free as possible. For that reason, if we are talking about HP and Torque for the w212 e63, there is no doubt in mind that with a stock e63, you will get more HP on a dyno with two straight pipe than with a single x-pipe added restriction. How much? I would think it may be less than it feels but you will see those RPMs go up a little faster. Anyway just a quick note on x-pipes, what is true though is that you should get a much quieter system, less vibration and poping and maybe smoother shifts? Which may be a better option for some people.. I personally don't like the x-pipe "glass-pack" like sound. I actually think the straight pipe video above sounds really mean. AMG for life!
The following users liked this post:
Utopia Texas (12-01-2018)
Old 10-08-2015, 11:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
homeless
My question is being that you have the naturally aspirated 6.3 would a x-pipe be more beneficial over mid section straight pipes in regards to low end torque because you will lose some back pressure, I know that on the bi turbo motor the back pressure isnt as big of an issue but from my previous naturally aspirated motor on my srt8 6.4L when I removed the center reso with straight pipes I lost low end torque and with the x-pipe it evened it out more with the extra scavenging effect.

Originally Posted by n0cud06
Well looks like I'm too late for this one - anyway just in case someone else comes along and read this. Alright let's just take it from the top, I always like to start with things that make sense so here we go. Let's look at the pinnacle of motorsport and see what those guys are doing. Ever seen a Formula1 car with a x-pipe on? Ever seen a Lemans car with a x-pipe on? GP2, Indy NO NO NO and NO. It's very simple guys. The faster you can get cold air in and hot air out of your engine, the more HP you can get out of it. In short any exhaust without proper tuning won't work well. This is called balance. Without proper tuning you will gain somewhere but loose somewhere else. With that said any x-pipe is not free-flowing as some people say (some better than others, merged pipes are best), anyone who tells you that x-pipe is free-flowing is full of *** (hence the reason it is quieter). Now back to the e63, have you looked inside your resonator? Clearly the factory exhaust system was designed and tuned to have very few restrictions. Actually inside your resonator there is small tube that connects one pipe to the other so the factory pipe is closer to a h-pipe than it is to a x-pipe. This connection is so small that the engineers were propably trying to cancel out some of the vibrations and energy noise yet still keep the flow as free as possible. For that reason, if we are talking about HP and Torque for the w212 e63, there is no doubt in mind that with a stock e63, you will get more HP on a dyno with two straight pipe than with a single x-pipe added restriction. How much? I would think it may be less than it feels but you will see those RPMs go up a little faster. Anyway just a quick note on x-pipes, what is true though is that you should get a much quieter system, less vibration and poping and maybe smoother shifts? Which may be a better option for some people.. I personally don't like the x-pipe "glass-pack" like sound. I actually think the straight pipe video above sounds really mean. AMG for life!
Old 10-08-2015, 04:16 PM

2010 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by marcolarco52
My question is being that you have the naturally aspirated 6.3 would a x-pipe be more beneficial over mid section straight pipes in regards to low end torque because you will lose some back pressure, I know that on the bi turbo motor the back pressure isnt as big of an issue but from my previous naturally aspirated motor on my srt8 6.4L when I removed the center reso with straight pipes I lost low end torque and with the x-pipe it evened it out more with the extra scavenging effect.
Marco - a turbo engine is a completely different animal. As you pointed out the same principles for naturally aspirated engine is simply irrelevant on a turbo engine. Here is the part I keep telling people and they don't seem to get - no matter what type of engine, factory cars are tuned for their factory system (actually hp figures could vary +/- from car to car you'd be surprised). The cheaper way to do gain useable performance without tuning is to get a full system like Akrapovic, Eisenmann or even cheaper ones like Magnaflow but something that has been fitted to work with your stock car. These system will give you the best overall balance. Unfortunately if you choose to design your own system I'm afraid you won't find a perfect balance no matter what you do. Also remember every engine has different characteristics and offer very different power delivery, the motor on a S550 is very different than a 6.2 AMG and servers different purposes. As we were talking about X-Pipe above. X-pipe on trucks works great but not so much on high-reving engines like the e63. So regarding your SRT8 it's probably not a good idea to take any advice from this forum. I hope you find something that makes you smile, after all we are not racing ours cars for a living
Old 10-08-2015, 04:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
homeless
Lol what... I simply pointed out the difference between the Xpipe on a naturally aspirated motor as it could hurt the performance in the low end from loss off back pressure... I did not race my truck for a living it was just for fun I now have a 2016 e63s. Regarding high revving I would not by any chance consider my amg a high revving v8...maybe a e92 m3 or a e60 m5 v10 those are high revving motors... Not our amgs.

You will lose back pressure on a naturally aspirated with a straight flowing exhaust versus a balanced out system unless it has been tuned specifically for that application you can pick up some top end (debatable) but the back pressure loss is there and since most people do 90% of their driving in the lower rpm range it can bother some people... Others not so much...

Marco - a turbo engine is a completely different animal. As you pointed out the same principles for naturally aspirated engine is simply irrelevant on a turbo engine. Here is the part I keep telling people and they don't seem to get - no matter what type of engine, factory cars are tuned for their factory system (actually hp figures could vary +/- from car to car you'd be surprised). The cheaper way to do gain useable performance without tuning is to get a full system like Akrapovic, Eisenmann or even cheaper ones like Magnaflow but something that has been fitted to work with your stock car. These system will give you the best overall balance. Unfortunately if you choose to design your own system I'm afraid you won't find a perfect balance no matter what you do. Also remember every engine has different characteristics and offer very different power delivery, the motor on a S550 is very different than a 6.2 AMG and servers different purposes. As we were talking about X-Pipe above. X-pipe on trucks works great but not so much on high-reving engines like the e63. So regarding your SRT8 it's probably not a good idea to take any advice from this forum. I hope you find something that makes you smile, after all we are not racing ours cars for a living

Last edited by marcolarco52; 10-09-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:28 PM

2010 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by marcolarco52
Lol what... I simply pointed out the difference between the Xpipe on a naturally aspirated motor as it could benefit from loss off back pressure... I did not race my truck for a living it was just for fun I now have a 2016 e63s. Regarding high revving I would not by any chance consider my amg a high revving v8...maybe a e92 m3 or a e60 m5 v10 those are high revving motors... Not our amgs.

You will lose back pressie on a naturally aspirated with a straight flowing exhaust versus a balanced out system unless it has been tuned specifically for that application you can pick up some top end (debatable) but the back pressure loss is there and since most people do 90% of their driving in the lower rpm range it can bother some people... Others not so much...
What I said was no matter how many different configuration people try you will always gain some and loose some without tuning. With that said I thought you still had your SRT8 - On a different subject a high rev engine is not about redlining super high rather how fast it transitions from one state to another. Anyway from the Daimler own website "The AMG 6.3-litre V8 engine uniquely combines a high-revving design with a large displacement, obtaining the best of both worlds: exhilarating liveliness accompanied by a high torque at low engine speeds". Congrats on your 2016 e63!
Old 10-09-2015, 01:27 AM
AHI

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTR
What I said was no matter how many different configuration people try you will always gain some and loose some without tuning. With that said I thought you still had your SRT8 - On a different subject a high rev engine is not about redlining super high rather how fast it transitions from one state to another. Anyway from the Daimler own website "The AMG 6.3-litre V8 engine uniquely combines a high-revving design with a large displacement, obtaining the best of both worlds: exhilarating liveliness accompanied by a high torque at low engine speeds". Congrats on your 2016 e63!
So, you think the 5.5TT would benefit more from an x or h? Or straight?
Old 10-09-2015, 02:13 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E63s
Originally Posted by AHI
So, you think the 5.5TT would benefit more from an x or h? Or straight?
I removed the resonators and installed straight pipes, sounds great and no loss of any kind of torque or power.

On my previous w211 e63 i did the same and lost a noticeable amount of torque which i later gained back with a tune.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:43 AM
AHI

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTR
Originally Posted by vcci
I removed the resonators and installed straight pipes, sounds great and no loss of any kind of torque or power.

On my previous w211 e63 i did the same and lost a noticeable amount of torque which i later gained back with a tune.
Although I have tons of power, I feel like my E dies a bit in the top end. Near redline
Old 10-09-2015, 03:49 PM

2010 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by AHI
Although I have tons of power, I feel like my E dies a bit in the top end. Near redline
ya that makes sense to me but I don't know anything about turbos in these cars yet :/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: straight pipes vs X pipe(need help)