7 Reasons Why An Older C43 AMG Might be the One to Get
Jalopnik raises a few good points about the Mercedes dubbed the “baby Benz for ballers on budgets.”
Looking to snatch up a cool classic Mercedes?
Well, you might want to consider an older C43 AMG, according to Jalopnik.
The ballsy yet informative auto source highlights a number of reasons why you might want to think about scouring the internet for a C43 AMG. We’ve zeroed in on the 7 biggest reasons why, as outlined by Andrew P. Collins.
ALSO SEE: CraigsList: This ’79 Mercedes-Benz 400-Series Is One Cool Classic
1. The C43 maintains a degree of classic Benz appeal even though it’s unmistakably from the ‘90s.
2. Touted as the “Baby Benz for Ballers on a Budget,” the C43 AMG is somewhat of a groundbreaker. In fact, you could argue it’s one of the first Mercedes aimed at younger buyers.
3. Styling wise, the body has a bit of a period Apple computer appeal; it’s subtly-rounded with a boxy design.
4. Despite being overshadowed by the BMW M3 of the era, the C43 AMG packed quite a punch, with 302 horsepower and a zero to 60 mph claim of around six seconds (highlighted in this classic MotorWeek video). That said, it did take a pretty good licking from the M3, Audi S4 and Saab 9-3 Viggen in a 1999 Car & Driver comparison.
5. Price wise, you can find ‘em for relatively cheap. In fact, Jalopnik came across one for $3,888.
6. Despite Mercedes’ goal of 1,500 C43 AMG sales stateside for 1998, it actually wound up selling closer to 1,100 units, making them a rare commodity today.
7. Chances are, C43 AMGs won’t get any cheaper than they are now.