E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

what exactly is different between 2004 command/radio and 2005 command/radio?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211 cdi 2005
what exactly is different between 2004 command/radio and 2005 command/radio?

I have a 2005 (3/04) US CDI. What is different between 2004 and 2005 command and radio(HK). They look the same, both have dvd players in the single slot.

went to dealer and placed one of the many dvd/cd mp3 containing coasters I have made that don't play on my car but they played on every E class there.

I asked the service guys and they just looked at me blankly.

As an aside, why do people who know nothing about cars sell and work on them?

chemo
Old 04-22-2005, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by chemo
As an aside, why do people who know nothing about cars sell and work on them?
Salesmen depend more on charm than they do knowledge. Most people would rather buy a car from George Clooney than from Albert Einstein.

As for your MP3, perhaps your model was made before DVD became the standard single disk player. If so, all I can say is good luck in getting them to replace it.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:55 PM

w211 cdi 2005
thanks for reply. My car HAS the dvd

my car has the dvd according to the "secret" menu.

chemo
Old 04-22-2005, 10:59 PM

Sorry, what I meant to say was perhaps it was made before MB offered MP3, in which case that should just be a software thing. But, just the same, good luck in getting them to give it to you.

Have you tried a CD MP3 in the 6-disk changer? If that doesn't work either than that should tell you that you don't have MP3 ability (as pre-1005 models).

Last edited by Baby Jocko; 04-22-2005 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E63
I have 2005 E500 made in 1/05. I dont think have I have a dvd in the single slot because I have tried everything that was stated in the forums to try and get the dvd mp3 to work. I think you just have to be lucky to get the right command unit. This has been discussed so much and it just seems that some people have it and some dont. Oh well. I just ended up burning 12 cds with mp3s. Kinda of sucks but at least I can fit 7 of them in and they work.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
Originally Posted by gdestiny
I have 2005 E500 made in 1/05. I dont think have I have a dvd in the single slot because I have tried everything that was stated in the forums to try and get the dvd mp3 to work. I think you just have to be lucky to get the right command unit. This has been discussed so much and it just seems that some people have it and some dont. Oh well. I just ended up burning 12 cds with mp3s. Kinda of sucks but at least I can fit 7 of them in and they work.
As far as I can tell, the 04s and the 05s will play MP3's off of DVDs, IF the right software is in the unit, which is a matter of having the dealer update to the latest version. I have an 04 E320 wagon delivered in Feb 04 and and 05 E500 delivered in August 04. The 05 played MP3s from DVDs from day 1; the 04 did not until its software was updated about a month ago.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:33 PM

w211 cdi 2005
weinschela, I just sent you a private message with some questions

look at the subject.

smb
Old 04-24-2005, 12:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by chemo
I have a 2005 (3/04) US CDI. What is different between 2004 and 2005 command and radio(HK). They look the same, both have dvd players in the single slot.
The DVD drives in the US COMANDs have been superseded by CD drives.

The following is new info (to me at least), and may help you figure out what you have. Hopefully, I'll remember it correctly:

If you want to tell whether your COMAND has the DVD drive or the (later) CD drive, go to the MAP screen, and bring up the softkey labels.

If you can see through the softkey labels to the underlying map, you have the older DVD drive. (Note: This is not a DVD drive that plays movies.)

If the softkey labels are opaque, then you have the CD drive COMAND.

(The word seems to be that MP3 playback on the DVD drives isn't officially supported, but may work.)
Old 04-24-2005, 05:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by pa28pilot

The following is new info (to me at least), and may help you figure out what you have. Hopefully, I'll remember it correctly:

If you want to tell whether your COMAND has the DVD drive or the (later) CD drive, go to the MAP screen, and bring up the softkey labels.

If you can see through the softkey labels to the underlying map, you have the older DVD drive. (Note: This is not a DVD drive that plays movies.)

(The word seems to be that MP3 playback on the DVD drives isn't officially supported, but may work.)

Well I tried on my command last night. I cannot see through my soft keys on the map screen so I guess I have the cd drive. Thanks for the help though. At least now I know I have a cd drive.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by gdestiny
Well I tried on my command last night. I cannot see through my soft keys on the map screen so I guess I have the cd drive. Thanks for the help though. At least now I know I have a cd drive.
My soft keys are opaque. My single disk player is a DVD. Don't know where this evaluation method came from.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:03 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by Baby Jocko
My soft keys are opaque. My single disk player is a DVD. Don't know where this evaluation method came from.
That's probably because I didn't indicate where it came from. Did you make sure that some map features were underneath the buttons, like roads? I'm not sure you'd notice the subtle difference otherwise.

It is possible I didn't transcribe this perfectly, but given the context where the discussion occurred, I have more confidence in this information than anything I'd ever hear from anyone at MB or a dealership.

BTW for the networking types out there, if you ever get a chance to dump the MOST bus traffic with a protocol analyzer, it's pretty interesting.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by pa28pilot

Ok,

So I know that this is an ancient thread but is this true? I can see through the softkeys onto the map screen behind but I'm having a heck of a time doing any of the neat stuff you can do with the dvd drive. I have been able to do 3+5+7 and change the logo screen, big deal. I have been able to get into the engineering mode but I have not been able to get into the second engineering screen where you can enable MP3 and video in motion. I could care less about the video in motion, I really, REALLY, want to be able to play Mp3's. Is there something here I'm missing? What do I have to do to be able to play MP3's in my head unit?

I'm starting to get the feeling that I have to drop a grand on a Euro Comand even though I may have a capable head unit. HELP !!!

ARGGGGGGHHHHH!

Thanks guys.