C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Resetting ECU?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Resetting ECU?

Hi everyone, I searched around and looking for an answer, but everywhere I found there are only 2 options of resetting the ECU on our cars...(instead of going back to dealer)

1. Remove Negative terminal from the battery for 15 mins or so...

2. Pull out the fuse for the ECU for 15 mins

The question I have is, is it necessary to reset the ECU? I don't have a real problem with my car, but the fact that the acceleration is sluggish (compare to what I used to feel, maybe I am wrong) and transmission seems lazy leads me to the idea of a reset.

I understand that the computer will continue to learn even if I did not do a reset, but would a reset be better since it will be running fresh and relearn everything again?

If it is really necessary, to reset the ECU, if I don't want to go through the hassle of pulling the battery, which fuse should I pull? I checked with the fuse map, they don't have an item called ECU, is "computer electronics" the correct one? They actually have 3 fuses, do I pull all of them?

Any help would be greatly appreicated...thanks guys!
Old 03-08-2006, 12:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
I don't have a good answer to your ECU question, but sluggishness in these cars may have other causes - Intercooler pump, MAF sensor going out and several others that you should consider. Not all of these will throw a fault code either. They can be a ***** to track down, but MANY people on the boards here (including myself) have had these issues and they have several causes.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:19 PM

I am also experiencing the jerky shifting when the tq converter locks up, I went to the dealer and they said there is no TSB for it, and they refused to re-flash it with 03 or 04 shift program.... so I am hoping a reset might help....
Old 03-08-2006, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by Bif powell
I don't have a good answer to your ECU question, but sluggishness in these cars may have other causes - Intercooler pump, MAF sensor going out and several others that you should consider. Not all of these will throw a fault code either. They can be a ***** to track down, but MANY people on the boards here (including myself) have had these issues and they have several causes.
Like he says,Sounds like the common MAF problem.Resetting the ECU will do nothing.

PS U don't even mention which car u own. But MAF is a very common issue and could need to be replaced by the sounds of your symptoms.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:02 PM

2002 c32
Originally Posted by joegrecoant
I am also experiencing the jerky shifting when the tq converter locks up, I went to the dealer and they said there is no TSB for it, and they refused to re-flash it with 03 or 04 shift program.... so I am hoping a reset might help....
Dealers seem to universally suck badly. This transmission issue should be a recall IMHO.

Hope this document helps you out.

http://www.mediaonthestreet.com/bifp...ission_tsb.pdf

Oh yeah, what is the year/model of your car. I've been assuming '02 C32.

Last edited by Bif powell; 03-08-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:20 PM

Hi Bif, thanks for the TSB, I wonder if it will apply to my vehicle!!! Sorry CoolCarl, my car is a 02 C32 (CANADA), warranty is ending this month..... however, I have reported this problem to the dealership for almost 1 yr ago and they keep saying nothing's wrong.... and I can't find any TSB, neither can the dealer (maybe lying?)... so I am wondering will the MB USA TSB applies to MB Canada..... but I will surely bring the TSB (thanks again Bif) to the dealership and see what they say about that....
Old 03-08-2006, 04:25 PM

2002 c32
Hi Bif, thanks for the TSB, I wonder if it will apply to my vehicle!!! Sorry CoolCarl, my car is a 02 C32 (CANADA), warranty is ending this month..... however, I have reported this problem to the dealership for almost 1 yr ago and they keep saying nothing's wrong.... and I can't find any TSB, neither can the dealer (maybe lying?)... so I am wondering will the MB USA TSB applies to MB Canada..... but I will surely bring the TSB (thanks again Bif) to the dealership and see what they say about that....
You should switch stealerships IMHO.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bif powell
You should switch stealerships IMHO.
haha, I wish I can!!! Anyway, to provide you with an update, I have just called the dealer, and service advisor said the MB USA TSB cannot be applied to MB CA cars...however, he said, bring the TSB in, and test drive with the foreman and see if it's the same sympton, then maybe it can be used.... I am not sure if I really want to get another MB in the future...but I guess every car company is the same, they just want you $$$ .....
Old 03-08-2006, 04:51 PM

sorry, to answer your question, we have 8 dealerships here in GTA Toronto, however, only 2 are closer to me (within 20KM), the rest are kind of far (closest one to that would be 50KM), so I don't have much choice on dealership, and I am not really willing to go the distance and maybe to receive the same kind of experience....(maybe I should really try)
Old 03-08-2006, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I still say possible MAF problem.Alot of times the problem cannot be detected with the Star diag.you have the tranny and loss of power symptoms that are common from a bad MAF.Do a search on MAF's and you'll see.Some folks have mentioned pwr loss issues with the S/C as a result of a bad watercooler as well.Search this as well.My bet is a bad MAF.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 03-08-2006 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
Originally Posted by coolcarlskiC43
Like he says,Sounds like the common MAF problem.Resetting the ECU will do nothing.

PS U don't even mention which car u own. But MAF is a very common issue and could need to be replaced by the sounds of your symptoms.
O.K. a bad MAF has been mentioned like 3 times in this post. Do any of you even know what MAF stands for? The C32 uses a MAP - never heard of a MAF in a C32.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:17 PM

2002 c32
MAF is Hot Film Mass Airflow Sensor

MAP is Manifold Pressure/Vaccuum Sensor

I've heard that this car does not have a MAF. Whether that's because the MAP is there in place of it, I don't know. I do know that MANY have said they have a C32 and they had a bad MAF replaced. The MAF is also listed for the AMG C32 in alldata - that said, sometimes I think they mean W203 for certain components and not necesarily the AMG engine.

*shrug* if anyone knows for sure, I would love to know it.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bif, I've been told more than once that the C32 does NOT have a MAF. It has a MAP, and you are correct about the name and placement. Why everyone keeps calling it a MAF is beyond me
Old 03-09-2006, 11:38 AM

06 C55
sorry, to answer your question, we have 8 dealerships here in GTA Toronto, however, only 2 are closer to me (within 20KM), the rest are kind of far (closest one to that would be 50KM), so I don't have much choice on dealership, and I am not really willing to go the distance and maybe to receive the same kind of experience....(maybe I should really try)
Where about are you? I know someone personally @ Mississauga MB maybe I can get some info if you like.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:48 AM

Hi DMC, if you can get some info @ Miss MB, that would be greatly appreicated, I am in Markham though, but if Miss MB can fix it, I don't mind driving 60km....thanks...
Old 03-17-2006, 06:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Zeppelin
O.K. a bad MAF has been mentioned like 3 times in this post. Do any of you even know what MAF stands for? The C32 uses a MAP - never heard of a MAF in a C32.
Well,call the dealer or EVOsport and ask! The c32 does have a MAF as far as I know!