190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 190E 2.6
update

havent been on in a while. sorry.

in case anyone forgot, i have a 190e with possible blown headgasket. Me and my cousin looked at the vavles, they were very clean. We just put in a new raditor, and will doing a flush soon with the MB coolant this week. The new radiator is working really well. I need to put a thermostat back in now.

Im under the impression the headgasket was already done. Ill know soon enough. I think the person before me just didnt replace the radiator. We will see.

I do have a question. We didnt tighten the bottom tranny line enough so i was loosing fluid. We found the leak after a brief search and laughing at our stupid mistake. We tighten that and add 3 quarts of fluid. When we are done, we walk to the drivers side of the car, and there is at least a half a quart to a full quart of fluid on the ground. coming from the middle of the car. When we checked the fkuid it was well past full. My question is, when you over fill the tranny fluid, does it leak out by itself? does having too much fluid hurt anything?

Thanks for any answer, support, or comments.

P.S. when putting the radiator back in, make sure you have the hood latch in the proper position or else when you close your hood and try to open it again. nothing will happen. Then, you get to rip the grill off with your bare hands and jimmy the hood open with a screw driver lol. Oh, you also get to drive around with no grill lol. its pretty sweet.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:53 PM
Almost a Member!

1991 190E
Exclamation

Originally Posted by PhilipM3
...My question is, when you over fill the tranny fluid, does it leak out by itself? does having too much fluid hurt anything?...
Watch out! If you are talking about an auto transmission, the owner's manual (for 1991) reads:

"If the transmission fluid cools down to 68-86 ºF, which is the normal shop temperature range, then the maximum fluid level will be approximately 12 mm (0.5 inch) below the minimum mark on the dipstick...

...The fluid level must not exceed the dipstick maximum mark with the fluid at operating temperature." (that is 176 ºF) "Drain or siphon off excess fluid if required..."

I hope this did not arrive too late for you.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:45 PM

1993 190E 2.6
thank you very much for that info. i think on the 93 they did things different. I havent noticed any change and i didnt drain anything. I will be going to drain it tho so it reaches the proper level.