190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

Should I buy this car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 328i
Should I buy this car?

Hello all,

I'm a new member--so new that I don't even have a w201 yet! I test drove one today, and I'm looking for advice on whether I should take the plunge. Here are the details on the car:

-2.3 5-speed (not 16v)
-274k miles
-A little rough looking: two small rust spots, dash trim is slightly out of alignment, MBTex has a small spot of wear on the driver's bolster.
-Owner does not have full service history, but has offered to put me in touch with the mechanic who worked on the car for the last 10 years. The owner seems to be a big fan of preventative maintenance.
-Rides beautifully
-Shifts easily--clutch recently replaced
-Brakes fine
-Tires are near the end of their lives, but owner will include low-mile Nokian snow tires.
-Asking price: $2,200

I have two concerns, one small and one big. I hope the group can help me sort them out...

The small concern: the clutch take-up point is very far down. I've never before driven a car where the clutch had to travel so much to engage/disengage. The clutch is less than 10k miles old, so I wonder if this is normal for w201s?

Bigger concern: there's some weirdness with the steering. The steering wheel shakes slightly at around 50 mph, and there is a noise (pump whine, but low-pitched?) when turning the wheel beyond 1/4 turn at very low speeds. I've read that w201s can have trouble with the power steering system, so I wonder if one or both of these could be a symptom. Any suggestions on how to diagnose?

If the car does have problems, I want to take those into account when I negotiate the price, of course.

Many thanks!

-David
Old 02-05-2008, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190E
Id buy it because its a 5 speed. Those are pretty rare to find, then you can restore it as you go.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by david42
Hello all,

I'm a new member--so new that I don't even have a w201 yet! I test drove one today, and I'm looking for advice on whether I should take the plunge. Here are the details on the car:

-2.3 5-speed (not 16v)
-274k miles
-A little rough looking: two small rust spots, dash trim is slightly out of alignment, MBTex has a small spot of wear on the driver's bolster.
-Owner does not have full service history, but has offered to put me in touch with the mechanic who worked on the car for the last 10 years. The owner seems to be a big fan of preventative maintenance.
-Rides beautifully
-Shifts easily--clutch recently replaced
-Brakes fine
-Tires are near the end of their lives, but owner will include low-mile Nokian snow tires.
-Asking price: $2,200

I have two concerns, one small and one big. I hope the group can help me sort them out...

The small concern: the clutch take-up point is very far down. I've never before driven a car where the clutch had to travel so much to engage/disengage. The clutch is less than 10k miles old, so I wonder if this is normal for w201s?

Bigger concern: there's some weirdness with the steering. The steering wheel shakes slightly at around 50 mph, and there is a noise (pump whine, but low-pitched?) when turning the wheel beyond 1/4 turn at very low speeds. I've read that w201s can have trouble with the power steering system, so I wonder if one or both of these could be a symptom. Any suggestions on how to diagnose?

If the car does have problems, I want to take those into account when I negotiate the price, of course.

Many thanks!

-David
I you like the car, have it inspected by a MB technician, you may be paying $$$ for the inspection but it will give you a peace of mine.
Remember is a 92 model it will need repairs

The clutch may need adjustment
The wheels may need a balance done

Good luck