190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

Proper Identification of 1991 AMG (W201)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 190E
Proper Identification of 1991 AMG (W201)?

I purchased a 1991 W201 (190E). In the glove box was all available service records, manuals, etc. Among them was a foil tag (in German) and looks as if it was removed from painted steel. Light hit in front end and the radiator support was straightened. This tag had AMG on it and it appears that some of the suspension parts are MUCH beefier and the brake calipers are much larger. The service records indicate a shop in Boston did the work in early 1991. As I understand, premerger AMG vehicles are difficult at best to properly identify. My vin states the vehicle was originally destined for Australia yet has LHD (driverside). How do I Identify if I do (or do not) own an AMG modified vehicle or if an authorised shop made modifications when new? The upper rear control arms are slightly longer and significantly larger in diameter than the replacements I purchased plus there was a lower link that had a worn out light foil tag on it that also was in German and had AMG on it. No AMG tag or stamping on engine (6 cyl.). It was my understanding that "back in the day" you could add as little or as much as you wished in modifications. Could I have (possibly) a vehicle that was only to receive a suspension/brake upgrade only? It doesn't appear that any workmanship on the vehicle is backyard at all and the heavy foil tag in the glove box was actually removed from the radiator support. I really don't care either way. I got the car for highway travelling on week end outings and is in perfect condition. It's only my second MB. It did have 16 or 17" wheels on it that the dealer removed and sold seperately (before I purchased vehicle) but I did see them on the car before I was interested, factory 10 spokes are on the car now but are sooo close to wheels they almost touch and just don't look right. He was eventually going out of business and had to clear the lot. Another reason I bought the car was that my 16 year old yellow lab died and his first ride was in a 'Benz so I figured his last ride should also be. : ) Help?

Last edited by dustydoggy; 05-06-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: oops
Old 05-06-2009, 04:24 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
As you stated, pre-merger, AMG tuned cars were "ala carte." An owner typically ordered the tuning in packages, such as the suspension, aero bodykit, wheels, interior and most important, engine tuning. However, due to the high cost of the engine tuning, relatively few were ordered, with the bulk of the cars getting the wheels, suspension and bodykit. I believe that in the US, a car had to have at least two tuning packages to "qualify" for the AMG badging to be included.

If the work was done in the USA, then it could have been done either by one of the US authorized AMG centers or by anyone else, including a dealership or independent, that ordered the parts for installation. That's the principle reason why there is virtually no documentation of the cars after they left the factory and showrooms.

In checking for AMG parts, note the part/serial numbers and stampings/castings. Typically they will be non Mercedes format, which is xxx-xxx-xx-xx, they may also start with HWA (Hans Werner Aufrect) as the prefix.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 190E
Thanks MTI! I believe (after my novice inspection) that this vehicle recieved the suspension and possibly the brake tire package(?). Seems like an independent shop did the work in Boston, MA in early 1991. Where the heck do I get replacement parts when a suspension link wears or a caliper piston goes? There are light foil decals and there are stampings in the links that are in a similar format that you referred to and the HWA is present (again everything is in German) and the words (have not the tag handy) Axxxxxxx-Mxxxxxxx-Gxxxxxxx is there. Just want to drive the car, not be a pretensious AMGite, but would also like to kepp it in running condition and just drive it. I'm always in trucks or Jeeps and it's nice to settle down in some comfy seats, crank up the Bose and drive a few states over for visits and what not. Where do I get repair parts that fit? I'd hate to "go back" to lesser(?) factory parts.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:15 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
For the most part, AMG in those days tended to use parts from other Mercedes models as upgrades whenever possible. You should have no problem using the control arms from the W201/W124 chassis. As for brakes, the stamping on the calipers will identify which brand (ATE, Girling, etc) and model it is. Calipers from other models, such as the 500E and R129 SL have often found their way onto tuned cars.

Sourcing pre-merger AMG parts is difficult, but Mercedes does have a few of them available, however it's far from a complete catalog.