190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

New guy here with a question

Old 12-11-2003, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
New guy here with a question

Hi, I don't really know that much about cars, but I want to take my 87 190E and turn it into a force to be reckoned with. (All my firends cars beat mine into the ground) The problem is, I don't know where to start. What exhaust and intake to I use? Are there performance chips available? What is this Nuology spark plug kit I see all over the internet? Any help would be nice, thanks.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:20 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
I'm going to have to assume you have the 2.3 M102 8 valve engine and auto transmission.
First, let's size up the competition . . . what kind of 17 year old, 4 door cars do your friends drive? If you're trying to get your 190E to compete against current vehicles with multivalve engines, variable cams, EFI management and weigh several hundred pounds less than your car . . . save your money for a newer car.
Second, how much money are you willing to pour into a car without any hope of ever selling the car for what it's worth right now? Classic automotive math is "Speed = Money" and it's a logrithmic relationship. Add rims, suspension and brake work, spiff up the paint or audio system . . .$$$. You could turbo the car for roughly it's current value, $3-4K, or consider what you could get for the same amount of money ($6-8K) on the used car market. Adding NOS is possible, but remember NOS is only recommended at WOT (wide open throttle) so peformance is going to be at the top end and certainly shorten the life of the trans and flex discs.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:41 AM

e320 2000
Got to Agree

I've got to agree with MTI. I'd suggest new ignition parts first, air intake,exhaust, then clean up the fuel system. tune it drive it and enjoy it. For my part, I am concentrating on restoring mechanicals and preserving the interior on my 190

There are plenty of 16 valve 190's out there. Buy one and spend your time and money on an engine that will respond better to infusions of cash
Old 12-30-2003, 07:13 PM

1987 190E 2.3
Sorry it's been so long.

Well, it is the 2.3 8 valve, and I don't want to do nos. I want it to be able to beat my friends 86 accord sport model, and would like it to compete with the new corolas. Like I said before, I'm really dumb with cars, so like... how much does a 16 valve usually go for? and how much should I sell mine for? I'm having the body done on it, and getting it painted. The transmission and the engine are new, (only 20,000 miles on it) but the car has some issues, like Air conditioning not working and stuff. If I wanted to enhance the performance on it, what brands of stuff do I look for and use? My friend has a Greddy Evolution Exhaust on his Prelude that has the perfect sound I want on it, and it gave him a pretty nice boost in power. Would this work on my car? If not what does? What is an ignition kit, is that what that Nuology thingy is? People told me it was just a scam.

Sorry for being so stupid I guess, but any help is appreciated.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:00 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
To start at the beginning . . . the W201 (190) was designed in the late 70's/early 80's, but it had groundbreaking Mercedes technology as part of the engineering. It was the lightest 4-door MB had built since the 1930's and featured one of the lowest coefficient of drag for a sedan and also introduced Mercedes "5-Link" computer designed rear suspension. Despite the small size, it rode and handled like it's bigger siblings, the W124 and W126, flat cornering and much more "tossable" than any other Mercedes, including most of the SL models. The design philosophy was to build a small car that could comfortably cruise at 100 mph all day long, and the 2.3L can do that. The trade offs for this "cruiser" was that it would be out of place in the 0-60 sprints, since the gearing is higher and the auto trans was set for "2nd gear" starts.

There are mods for the motor, but no "chip tuning" like on EFI cars. There are aftermarket cams, but you sacrifice low end smoothness for power. Your '87 probably has the R/16 resistor that retards the ignition system, so you might experiment with removing it to see if you gain any HP, but be prepared to spring for high octane gas to prevent "detonation ping." Some owners don't report any gain by removing it.

The suggestion to get a 16V is nice, but unrealistic. Most of the 16 valves you see on the market have been thrashed by 3rd or 4th owners and not maintained very well. Repair costs on the 16 valves are scary and if you find a good one, it will cost you.

Here's a suggestion. It's a Mercedes, not a Toyota, it's a190E, not a AMG 55, so spend some time and money on keeping it in good shape as a daily driver, but if you have to "be fast & furious" get used Civic like everyone else. Besides, when you go slow, the chicks get to see who is cool driving a 'Benz.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:39 PM

1987 190E 2.3
I see...

Yeah, I've noticed about the starting in second gear thing, which bugs me, because I live in California, there are way to many cops out there to go cruising around at 100, and me and my friend kinda have this thing going about getting our old german cars able to beat the new stuff.

(He has a Porshe 911 convertible, REALLY old and needs lots of work, and a BMW 5. something or other)

So I pretty much don't stand a chance of turning it into something that Qualcomm will fear on race nights?

Oh well, any other help will be appreciated, if you guys know of a place to get good 16 valves or any other help it would be appreciated.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:48 PM

1987 190E 2.3
Side note I forgot to put in...

I'm what you would call... an individualist? (Is that the word I'm looking for?) I don't want to go out and get a civic or a lancer because that would be like everyone else, and that bugs me. I've only seen one 190 that someone did a lot of work too, and it was really really nice. I want to make mine better than that guys, and make so that on friday nights when I go down to qualcomm to race, I'm a major force to be reckoned with.

Anyway, that's it, I'm off to work. Peace out everybody.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Check out 190revolution.net they have a forum specifically just for 190's. The also have some performance mods in the works such as a low boost turbo manifold for 8 valves in the works. As well as cams and other stuff. Freer flowing exhaust is the way to start then maybe some other goodies like better plugs and wires. Also setting the mixture a hair more on the rich side to get some more umph off takeoff. Shifting the auto tranny down to 2 and back to D while stopped also forces a first gear start. Same as flooring it off the start. This shifts at 4000 RPM on mine so if you want to go to redline then you must manually shift to 2 and up. There are also other rear gears you can put in that will make it quicker as well as a swap to LSD.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:49 AM

1987 190E 2.3
Hey Thanks, I'll try there.