190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

newbe with 190e sportline

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190e 2.6 auto sportline
newbe with 190e sportline

Hi all,

I've just bought a 190e 2.6 auto sportline (UK spec). Finding it difficult to get any info about the sportline.

Also where to look for maintance tips/mods ect....

I'm new to merc ownership having driven 4 pot turbo 4x4's. Any help or info on the 2.6 sportline would be appreciated.

Thanks, Al.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:26 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
There's not much upgraded to the Sportline. There are no engine or driveline changes from the regular models, so whatever maintenance for the M103 2.6 applies to the Sportline. The modifications consist of:

1) Slightly lowered, like the 16 valves, about 1/2" drop, with HD shocks/struts.
2) Faster ratio steering box
3) Upgrade interior with sport seats and carbon fiber dash appointments
4) Sportline badging
Old 10-25-2004, 09:45 AM

190e 2.6 auto sportline
Thanks for that, I read the same on the web. However from the pics I could drag up the interior is different on this one. There is no center sportline cap on the auto stick. Its a leather interior, not sure I call it sporty!! more like a couch!

Had a look at it today, there is a nasty rumble coming from the engine around 2500rpm. First thought it might be the bottom end but with my size huge spanner had a listen and perhaps the culprit is the Power steering pump instead. I wasn't that impressed by the steering so maybe. The gauge shows just under 2bar Psi at idle and hits 3bar+ as soon as any revs are applied. Doesn't sound any worse with high revs just gets drowned out. There is a very small oi leak and I had to top up the oil by 3/4 of a litre.

Car now has 130,000 on the clock. having come from 4x4 turbo jap 4 pots I'm amazed how butch and simple the engineering is, nothing seems unacessable.

This will be the first vehicle I've owned I can actually buy a haynes manual for. I'll be going through that soon but are there any items worth checking on the 190 in general?

cheers Alex.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:13 AM

1990 190E
The UK Sportlines were offered with 2 packages. An interior pack consisting of sports seats, wheel and gear knob. The cloth has a large check pattern on it. Leather was optional. Sportline cloth could be ordered on standard seats.
The suspension pack had lower, stiffer springs/shocks and a sportier steering box like the 16v's.
You could order both packs or either one.
It sounds like your car might have the suspension pack but not the interior pack.

HTH

Bazza

Mercedes 190 UK
Old 10-27-2004, 06:24 AM

190e 2.6 auto sportline
I think your right bazza, that makes sense, looks like the options new were full leather and sportline suspension.

My immediate job is to get the heater blower and A/C working, then sort out a duff rear window.

Are there any usual suspects I should look at for the blower and A/C??

thanks
Old 10-31-2004, 01:25 PM

190e 2.6 auto sportline
Hey guys,

does the lower ball joint need pressing out?? I noticed one of mine is dry. Had some fun today NOT replacing it.

have a noise which sounds like the tyres rubbing, the ball joint was found in the process of finding it...never did as I got side tracked with the ball joint.

what ever is causing the noise is vibrating the brake cover, only two places it attches and the ball joint was one.

I also need to look at:

Rear NS window (not operating, no motor noise)

can't open the rear doors from inside.

The AC doesn't work and neither does the fan.

Don't like the steering wheel, too big.

front OS speaker not working.

Need to replace rear pads (came with car)

the little display atatched to the dash is broken.

Rear diff is noisy off throttle (not bad just noisy)

Need a new grill. Preferably one with out the gunsights.

And after that lot if I get to like it I might add some toys.

Any advice on the above is welcomed.

Cheers all.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:41 AM

190e 2.6 auto sportline
hey guys I could really use some advice:

I've been looking at the rear nr side window, its not moving at all and I can't find any simple fault. I've checked both the main panel switch, and the door switch, both check out I swapped them around, I can't figure if the rear switch is getting power. I have one measly test bulb to work with. How do I test the power to the window?? One thing I did notice it even if it worked it would foul the sound deading so possibly the initial prob?

also dropped a lot of the dash to look for simple fault on the fan motor, no joy, mostly a visual check, the motor is not powering and getting the motor out looks like a pain.

Also not working is the AC, now that is beyond my comprehension, but if there are any simple checks??

The idea behind picking up the merc is that I can save some pennies, having for the first time owned a car that I can buy a haynes manual for I rushed out and bought one. Frankly I wish I hadn't bothered...jap's might be a bit complex at times but there inhouse manuals are s!!!t hot by comparision...anyway enough of my whining...
Old 11-13-2004, 12:34 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

The rear interior door card is a snap to remove. The Haynes manual is quite a good guide in doing this. With the panel removed, you can visually inspect the window regulator and motor, and test the power to the motor. More than likely, the regulator (aluminum supports) have bent and are jammed.

As for the vent blower . . . it's on the engine side of the firewall, not inside the dashboard. Open the hood to complete vertical, then peer under the leaf screen under the monowiper and you will see where the blower fan lives.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:15 PM

190e 2.6 auto sportline
Thanks MTI, found the fan, but what a ***** to get too!! After some serious cursing managed to prize open the fan cover enough for my friend to get in with his multi meter, the fan has power so the motor must be blown..he also said visually it looked bad.

So I'll get a fan and then the fun begins, it looks like water pipe x2 and 1 A/C pipe has to be removed before the fire wall can be removed?? Are there any hints or advice on making the replacement easier??

Also tested the rear window, there is no power to the switch so looks like the next call is to race the wiring as all the other windows work pointing to a short in the wiring??
Old 11-18-2004, 08:04 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

With the monowiper removed, you should be able to R&R the motor without having to remove the flexible firewall. It is a difficult job due to the central positioning of the motor, you almost need some scaffolding to get in there.

Picture
Old 03-01-2005, 06:15 PM

190e 2.6 auto sportline
Cheers MTI the pics very helpful, I can see from the pic that it is possible to get the fan out withoutving to dismount the fire wall. We had major issues trying to get the cover off. We took the wiper assembly out, did you move any pipes ect?? It took us about 1hr 1/2 just to make enough space to visually see it was fukt!! Hope that makes sense.

That job got put off as come crimbo eve the Merc packed up due to a mechanical failer in the head. I forget what the assembly is called but it runs the distributor. apparently its a known fault?? Anyway that ate some cash to fix.

Do you know if the rear diff get upset with old oil, mine is a little noisy running down and the oil needs changing, looks ok but smells burn't. Will I get a nice supprise or just peace of mind when I change it??

So far the Merc is getting the thumbs up :-) and its nice to drive a sportline, don't see many others.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Almost a Member!

'92 190E 2.6
Well, changing the oil in the rear diff never hurts. I put 1/4 Lucas HDSO into the 75W90 Mobil 1 gear oil. Thanks to a member on this list for giving me those directions.

And yes, when I bought the car the differential worked flawlessly but it just made a horrible noise which started right off the slowest speeds, like driving over pavement with horizontal grooves. Only the radio could somewhat kill the constant hallow... After taking the differential out the pinion gear when turned was very notchy, not smooth turning.

From what people told me, Mercedes had some differential problems in the past.

The diff I got was used for $250 but after installling it I noticed it doesn't have the ABS speed sensor? hole and I had to get axles with smaller diameter ends to fit the diff. The ratio is also different. As long as it works I'm fine with that.

So, if it works and is not making hardly standable noises than just change the fluid and drive happily. =)

Maciej
92 190E 2.6
Old 03-09-2005, 06:55 PM

190e 2.6 auto sportline
May have a resolution to my fan problem, a local company rebuilds them for about £25.00. Sooo..maybe this weekend I'll brave getting it out.

I had a cone filter kicking around, I've ditched the original filter and removed the bumper ducting. Kept the original airbox and re plumbed the air sensor just upstream of the cone filter. I was hoping for a little more throttle reponse. Made a hugh difference. Has lost the hesitation before the autobox decides to move forward, now very positive on the throttle. My only complaint round town was the lathargic response, now the reponse is very quick.

well worth the effort.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:49 PM

190e 2.6 auto sportline
Talking

A few pics of pimp daddy
Attached Thumbnails newbe with 190e sportline-merc1-mk1.jpg   newbe with 190e sportline-mrec2-mk1.jpg   newbe with 190e sportline-merc3-mk1.jpg   newbe with 190e sportline-seatsmerc4-mk1.jpg  
Old 03-14-2005, 05:31 PM
Almost a Member!

'92 190E 2.6
Very nice, clean. What color is that, its nice, but your MB emblem is not vertical like it's supposed to and your hood release tab is sticking out. ;-) Good luck with it.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:27 AM

190e 2.6 auto sportline
yeap your quite right, the badge and the grill are up for replacement, grill has a dent. The pics do it a little to much justice but compared to others its very clean also the chassis is very very clean. Slowly getting it into shape, needs some work still.

up for some major work in the next couple of weeks, wheel bearing, ball joints, therefore bushings. Top srut mount bushings.

I'm a bit ****, I can't stand the idea of something not working correctly, I spent 2 hrs yesterday getting the arial to work properly!! I'm leathal with copper grease. I don't do black engine oil. As for tyre pressures, well I begin to cry if there not exactly right..gesss I need a life...LOL
Old 03-21-2005, 10:23 PM

1992 190e
blower fan

I have been struggling with mine for a couple of weeks.

I think I have finaly mastered it!

1. remove the leaf shield

(not necessary to detach and "slip up and forward the fire wall" as per the factory manual)

2. Remove ALL wiper mount bolts (the base mount and those up under the winsdhield)

3. Remove bumper between wiper bumper mount arm and firewall

4. work wiper motor/linkage assembly up

5. snap clips off cover ( 2 on each of 4 sides)

6. pull cover off up and out from (US) passenger side.

7. snap band off old motor (be careful not to break off snap seat on plastic housing...it's brittle)

8. replace motor

9. reverse above steps (you may want to check quiet performance as you go)

KCCapt from USA
Old 04-12-2005, 11:45 AM
Almost a Member!

1998 C230 5-a
miss my 92 Sportline

My first Benz was a 92 US 2.6 automatic Sportline. Loved the car but it was a lease and I returned it. Although the tranny really reduced the use of the limited power of the car, the handling was super. Here in LA where every phoney leases a BMW and never drives hard, I routinely would **** off 540i drivers and even 3 series sport models in the twisties.....