190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

Minor Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minor Problems

Hi. I'm new to these forums because I've recently acquired an 1985 190E from my dad. It's my first car. I've got a list of problems that I was wondering if anyone could help me with. Most are superficial and have nothing to do with the driving. This list so far is:

Sunroof switch sometimes doesn't work.
Sunroof needs to be pushed up in order to close entirely.
Window switches don't work in hot weather.
Doors automatically lock about 3 seconds after closing the passenger side door. Didn't used to.
The brakes make a hissing sound when pushed in sometimes.

I'm thinking that the brake pads might just be worn out, but im not sure, because it just sounds sort of like a compressed air. Also, I'm curious as to metal finish and cleanup. I would definitely like to take all of the corrosion and rust off of metal surfaces on the exterior, but I was also curious about cleaning up the aesthetics of the engine. Is there anyway to clean that stuff up? Thanks for reading.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

2007 CLK350 Sport, 2006 E320 CDI, 1978 Cessna 152
I use to have a 86 190D which my father now drives. I had a similar issue with the sunroof. Sometimes it worked, other times it didnt and if you managed to get it open you would spend time cranking it shut in the trunk. The dealer told me it was a faulty relay and would cost $300 to fix it. As for the other issues, the only one I think I could comment on would be the "hissing" brakes. Last time they hissed on me they either needed to be cleaned very well or it was starting to be time for a replacement of the pads. I dont know how loud the hiss is, but you might want to try cleaning them really well and letting water run on them for a while. In my experience at least, the brake dust seems to cause some hissing when the brakes are applied.

For the door locks, could be something with the vaccum system? Just a guess though.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Almost a Member!

'92 190E 2.6
Sunroof: I had the same thing happen to me with the sunroof but mine was heavy duty. You know the metal covered in rubber to stop the wind noise on the side of the sunroof panel, on mine the pins broke and the rubber was moving back and forth, so finally one day it got jammed, and I had to pull it out with force. But before we could slide the sunroof closed to get it tilted to get the rubber piece out we took out a couple of rubber squares that I think are some king of dampeners or sliders since now even when sunroof is closed it still sags in the back on the side the squares were taken out. But on an '86 the sunroof didn't tilt up so I dont know if it has the rubber covered metal, but if you do and its jammed, your gonna have a hard time getting that out. Good luck.

Maciej