Porting, Polishing, and Cams project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:06 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Porting, Polishing, and Cams project

Well, I have decided to pull the trigger on this and my car is scheduled to have the heads removed by MB and sent to Precision Engineering for the porting / polishing work. If Evosport has access to the Schrick Cams that are for our blown motor, then I will get them ordered today or tomorrow and they will go in too. If not, I'm considering the Kleemann cams, but they won't make it here in time and they are more $$$.

I'm very nervous about the whole project and almost cancelled my appointment numerous times.

I do have an appointment this weekend and MB is installing a new fuel filter so I can do one more Dyno pull before my baby gets "chopped" up. For those of you who have followed my various projects, you will know that my last Dyno run showed that the car isn't getting enough fuel and A/F ratios are a tad high. Speaking with Renntech assured me that the map used for my car should have the A/F ratio running between 12 – 12.5. It is assumed that I either have an air leak, or low fuel pressure / flow. The air leak has been ruled out, and fuel pressure tested fine at low-mid RPMs. I was told that our fuel pumps will raise pressure even with a semi-clogged filter, so that is what I’m taking care of Saturday.

I’m going to ask MB and PE to take some pictures along the way.

My question to you all is…Should I do anything else while the car is apart?

The ECU is going back to Renntech for another adjustment and the SS exhaust piping will get finished as well.
Attached Thumbnails Porting, Polishing, and Cams project-exhaust.jpg  
Old 03-28-2007, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
Well, I have decided to pull the trigger on this and my car is scheduled to have the heads removed by MB and sent to Precision Engineering for the porting / polishing work. If Evosport has access to the Schrick Cams that are for our blown motor, then I will get them ordered today or tomorrow and they will go in too. If not, I'm considering the Kleemann cams, but they won't make it here in time and they are more $$$.

I'm very nervous about the whole project and almost cancelled my appointment numerous times.

I do have an appointment this weekend and MB is installing a new fuel filter so I can do one more Dyno pull before my baby gets "chopped" up. For those of you who have followed my various projects, you will know that my last Dyno run showed that the car isn't getting enough fuel and A/F ratios are a tad high. Speaking with Renntech assured me that the map used for my car should have the A/F ratio running between 12 – 12.5. It is assumed that I either have an air leak, or low fuel pressure / flow. The air leak has been ruled out, and fuel pressure tested fine at low-mid RPMs. I was told that our fuel pumps will raise pressure even with a semi-clogged filter, so that is what I’m taking care of Saturday.

I’m going to ask MB and PE to take some pictures along the way.

My question to you all is…Should I do anything else while the car is apart?

The ECU is going back to Renntech for another adjustment and the SS exhaust piping will get finished as well.
Well then, it sounds like funds are not limiting you, which is always a good thing when you go at a project like this. Acouple of points/things if you have the money:

1. See if ANYONE makes, or call some manufactures like Manley, UNDERCUT valves. That is, they cut away some material right at the head of the valve. This alone can often improve flow by about 15%. These are sometimes refered to a TULIP valves.
2. When you change cams, make sure that the new lift/duration will work with the stock valve springs. Otherwise they could float. A condition you DO NOT want, trust me. Depending on the cam profile you may have to change the springs ie increase the spring rate.
3. Look carefully at the intercooler. I have never had my hands on one, so I am just using past knowledge/experience here on other brands. Check carefully at the ports, and ANY casting marks left over. A SMALL improvement could be made here by cleaning them up. It won't make a BIG difference, however every little bit helps.

Sounds like you should have one KILLER AMG when your done.

Keep us posted and GOOD LUCK

PS: I blow a head gasket on my blown stang becsue of an aging fuel pump. It dropped pressure/flow, a little spark rattle later, and ONE GIANT CHOCOLATE MILKSHAKE.

See yeah
Old 03-28-2007, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Good luck Jerry. Thanks for paving the path. If you gain more than 40hp, I'm next in line for the mod.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W221
You crazy torque-junkies!!! Stop messing with these beautiful machines!!!

Just kidding!
Good luck, Jerry! Are you going to be done by the April meet?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:31 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by eugeneC55
You crazy torque-junkies!!! Stop messing with these beautiful machines!!!

Just kidding!
Good luck, Jerry! Are you going to be done by the April meet?
Yup...should be done by then. Car is going in on Tuesday / Wednesday of next week. Hopefully, I can pick it up a week later, which would be a few days before the meet.

Want to take it for a drive??
Old 03-28-2007, 02:56 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Well then, it sounds like funds are not limiting you, which is always a good thing when you go at a project like this. Acouple of points/things if you have the money:

1. See if ANYONE makes, or call some manufactures like Manley, UNDERCUT valves. That is, they cut away some material right at the head of the valve. This alone can often improve flow by about 15%. These are sometimes refered to a TULIP valves.
2. When you change cams, make sure that the new lift/duration will work with the stock valve springs. Otherwise they could float. A condition you DO NOT want, trust me. Depending on the cam profile you may have to change the springs ie increase the spring rate.
3. Look carefully at the intercooler. I have never had my hands on one, so I am just using past knowledge/experience here on other brands. Check carefully at the ports, and ANY casting marks left over. A SMALL improvement could be made here by cleaning them up. It won't make a BIG difference, however every little bit helps.

Sounds like you should have one KILLER AMG when your done.

Keep us posted and GOOD LUCK

PS: I blow a head gasket on my blown stang becsue of an aging fuel pump. It dropped pressure/flow, a little spark rattle later, and ONE GIANT CHOCOLATE MILKSHAKE.

See yeah
i would ask PE about valves and springs as well while you are in there...

i will be interested to see if Renntech can get the tuning right on the car...this is the main thing that worries me
Old 03-28-2007, 03:02 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
i would ask PE about valves and springs as well while you are in there...

i will be interested to see if Renntech can get the tuning right on the car...this is the main thing that worries me
The cams will be direct replacement with no springs needed. They are going to do some valve work too, but he said it wouldn't require new valves or cause emission issues.

Since the map on our car is dynamic for the most part, I don't think additional tuning will be required if you already have a stage II ecu.

Keep your fingers crossed!
Old 03-28-2007, 03:08 PM
SPONSOR

The cams will be direct replacement with no springs needed. They are going to do some valve work too, but he said it wouldn't require new valves or cause emission issues.

Since the map on our car is dynamic for the most part, I don't think additional tuning will be required if you already have a stage II ecu.

Keep your fingers crossed!
what if you change your fuel filter and you are still not getting enough fuel?
Old 03-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Almost a Member!

C32 AMG, C230 Kompressor, Grand Cherokee 5.7 HEMI
Awesome project! can´t wait to see the results.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:43 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
what if you change your fuel filter and you are still not getting enough fuel?
Banana in the tail pipe?

Here's the ? of the day. What could cause my A/F ratio to be off?

I installed the phenolic spacers myself, so I could have #$%$#% something up.

I doubt it's the tuning, but the ECU is going back just to be sure.

Fuel pressure / flow?

Anything ignition related? Could something be advancing the timing and making the car want more fuel?

Air / Vacuum leak?

I'm pulling these out of my a$$, but you guys are the gurus....
Attached Thumbnails Porting, Polishing, and Cams project-racing-4.jpg  

Last edited by sales@eurocharged.com; 03-28-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Banana in the tail pipe?

Here's the ? of the day. What could cause my A/F ratio to be off?

I installed the phenolic spacers myself, so I could have #$%$#% something up.

I doubt it's the tuning, but the ECU is going back just to be sure.

Fuel pressure / flow?

Anything ignition related? Could something be advancing the timing and making the car want more fuel?

Air / Vacuum leak?

I'm pulling these out of my a$$, but you guys are the gurus....

Wouldn't a leak after the blower make your AFR decrease not increase? I doube it is a leak problem, it's gotta be fuel.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:49 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by jgsx
Wouldn't a leak after the blower make your AFR decrease not increase? I doube it is a leak problem, it's gotta be fuel.
That's what I think too. But, who really knows how the ecu handles the leak? It might retard the timing, which would result in less fuel right?

Sorry, I wish I knew more.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:26 PM
SPONSOR

That's what I think too. But, who really knows how the ecu handles the leak? It might retard the timing, which would result in less fuel right?

Sorry, I wish I knew more.

are you going to send the ECU back with the latest A/F chart?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:21 PM

W221

Want to take it for a drive??
Are you kidding me? Of course I do! Didn't even have a chance to drive stock C32, I can only imagine what it would feel like to drive your of Joe's car

P.S. Man, I am a tourque junkie, who do I kid?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:53 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
are you going to send the ECU back with the latest A/F chart?

Yup, but after the conversation I had with Renntech, I'm not sure if they will be able to do anything for me. He has assured me that the map would not make the car run above 12.5. I got the specs for the cams printed out and I'm going to see if he or the guy in Germany that makes the maps needs to do anything.

BTW - I called Kleemann to get the specs for their cams and ended up in an email conversation with Rick Sande, and he said "Sorry Jerry we don't give out the specs for our cams"

LOL - I replied with "Then I can't properly tune my car....too bad."

Kleemann's way of strong arming you into their ECU.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:30 AM
SPONSOR

Yup, but after the conversation I had with Renntech, I'm not sure if they will be able to do anything for me. He has assured me that the map would not make the car run above 12.5. I got the specs for the cams printed out and I'm going to see if he or the guy in Germany that makes the maps needs to do anything.

BTW - I called Kleemann to get the specs for their cams and ended up in an email conversation with Rick Sande, and he said "Sorry Jerry we don't give out the specs for our cams"

LOL - I replied with "Then I can't properly tune my car....too bad."

Kleemann's way of strong arming you into their ECU.
when it comes to performance/tuning companies, when they will not openly share information, it usually means they have something to hide...and, just like in this case, they lose business in the name of "protecting" information...such a shame really
Old 03-29-2007, 10:27 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
when it comes to performance/tuning companies, when they will not openly share information, it usually means they have something to hide...and, just like in this case, they lose business in the name of "protecting" information...such a shame really
I won't be able to Dyno the car one more time. The place I go to is booked solid until after my appointment date with MB.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Out Of Control!

[COLOR=black]Well, I have decided to pull the trigger on this and my car is scheduled to have the heads removed by MB and sent to Precision Engineering for the porting / polishing work.
Make sure you have a before and after dyno for hp increase comparison. And Jet Hott coat your headers if you haven't already.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
SMG had the same issue with his car's A/F mixture after he had the RENNtech ecu installed but it ended up being dyno reading error. The shop kept saying its runing to lean and that he could feel the car detonating on the top etc. The shop wanted to do a powerchip ecu on the car to fix it but after further review we realized he was very mistaken.

To do an honest check you will need to install a wide and O2 sensor right into the exhaust and install a gauge inside the car. Innovate has fantastic products for all ranges of budgets.

After having the gauge and the sniffer installed we went out and logged some data only to find that the car was running 100% spot on just as RENNtech said it should be. The car was with - in .2 at every point in the rev band with what RENNtech said their ECU should create.

So the moral of the story is make sure your readings are accurate before you get worried and have the car checked out. We were just like you and about to change the fuel pump etc just to make sure it was fine. The gauge was the only way to really know for a dnyo could be out of tune fairly easily.

Good luck

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 03-29-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:03 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
SMG had the same issue with his car's A/F mixture after he had the RENNtech ecu installed but it ended up being dyno reading error. The shop kept saying its runing to lean and that he could feel the car detonating on the top etc. The shop wanted to do a powerchip ecu on the car to fix it but after further review we realized he was very mistaken.

To do an honest check you will need to install a wide and O2 sensor right into the exhaust and install a gauge inside the car. Innovate has fantastic products for all ranges of budgets.

After having the gauge and the sniffer installed we went out and logged some data only to find that the car was running 100% spot on just as RENNtech said it should be. The car was with - in .2 at every point in the rev band with what RENNtech said their ECU should create.

So the moral of the story is make sure your readings are accurate before you get worried and have the car checked out. We were just like you and about to change the fuel pump etc just to make sure it was fine. The gauge was the only way to really know for a dnyo could be out of tune fairly easily.

Good luck

i agree...but i was thinking that Jerry had a WB02 sensor in the car...if not, you need to get one and put it in your car...
Old 03-29-2007, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
What's the point of having a wb02 in the car? He's not tuning the car himself. The dyno has a wb02. Do you mean that the wb02 at the dyno might be defective?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:08 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by jgsx
Do you mean that the wb02 at the dyno might be defective?

exactly, purely to check for accuracy...
Old 03-29-2007, 10:10 PM
SPONSOR

BTW Jerry, just now looked at the pic of the SS exhaust piping, looks very nice...
Old 03-29-2007, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
looks very nice! how much did the SS piping cost and who is it from?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:27 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
exactly, purely to check for accuracy...
I wonder how accurate those things are. It clipped on to the end of the tail pipe. I wondering if there was enough back pressure to actually bring in some oxygen, would it throw the readings off? I can't imagine that it would...

I have decided to drop the car off tomorrow instead of early next week. If MB can have the head off by Monday afternoon, then I'm almost certain I will have the car back before the meet.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Porting, Polishing, and Cams project