GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

The wait is over!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile The wait is over!

I took delivery this afternoon, and the wait was worth it! The invoice matched the order sheet line for line - nothing added, nothing left off. Here's the specifics:

Obsidian Black/Macadamia Leather
P1 Package
iPod Integration
Illuminated Door Sills
Wood/Leather Steering Wheel
Lighting Package
3 Zone Climate Control
PE Running Boards
BONUS: BLACK PLASTIC BUMPER GUARD (actually not that bad)
[Dark Color Mats]

Unlike most, I did not get the sunroof (never use them) or RSE (my son will be 27 next month.) I bought the Bluetooth puck from a (now former) board member so that's included.

My SR was one of the most knowledgable I have ever had on a new car delivery. He knows the GL and COMAND system inside and out. He also installed my AMG pedals for me. The final deal was exactly as initially agreed. Most of the paperwork was ready and waiting when I arrived. All in all, a pleasant buying experience (excluding the wait.) Only flaw on the GL was a long wide scratch on the RR wheel - not a problem as the Monoblock E's will be going on Saturday. My instructions not to wash or wax were followed.

I had a 100 mile drive home and enjoyed every minute of it. I didn't experience the pulling to the right others have, although it does want to tend right/left depending on crown or bank of road. This isn't a problem and identical to what I've experienced in my other cars. I saw the vent reflection in the mirror but was used to it in no time.

There was something IIRC no one has reported - I wear polarized sunglasses and the driver/passenger glass has a "rainbow" effect with the infrared coating. It's not visible without sunglasses and Ms Boss didn't see it with her non-polarized glasses (she did with mine, though.) Oddly enough, the second row back didn't have this effect - maybe because the tint is darker. I'm not sure if the 3 Zone is the reason, but the AC is the best I've ever had, bar none. We had it set on Auto 74 and it was a cool comfortable. 76 would not have been uncomfortable.

My GL was very quiet with virtually no wind noise. I varied my speed from 65-85, mostly at 80 so I'm quite pleased in noise department. On certain sections of the road I had a bit of tire noise from the OEM Conti's. My delivery was with the 18's and the Conti's have an unusual sidewall pattern that I didn't like, but they will be gone shortly.

One other thing - who decided to put the cruise stalk above the turn signals??? This, IMO, is a major design flaw. I changed my cruise speed every time I changed lanes. Anyone else think this?

The pictures will be coming Sunday as will my experience with the black bumper plate. Right now, I need to do what all new car buyers should do: RTFM.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Hey congrats BOSS!

Sounds like it was a very smooth experience for you...

I had a VW Beetle a few years ago (1999) that had the same effect on the driver and passenger window as well as the rear hatch window with polarized sun glasses. I think it had something to do with the slight tint that it had. If there is any polarization in the tint or the glass itself, you will notice it with your sunglasses. I think that they polarize it to cut down on the glare that the driver experiences from outside the car (the same reason you wear your polarized sunglasses). After a while I didn't notice it that much.

Also, I did not get the sunroof either... I have had sunroofs on nearly every car I have had for a while now, and I just never used them... Just wasn't worth the extra cost to me if I only open it once or twice a year.

Looking forward to the pics!
Old 05-17-2007, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Danno4x4
I had a VW Beetle a few years ago (1999) that had the same effect on the driver and passenger window as well as the rear hatch window with polarized sun glasses. I think it had something to do with the slight tint that it had. If there is any polarization in the tint or the glass itself, you will notice it with your sunglasses. I think that they polarize it to cut down on the glare that the driver experiences from outside the car (the same reason you wear your polarized sunglasses). After a while I didn't notice it that much.
I've noticed a "splotchy" pattern on many cars with polarized sunglasses, almost like a checkerboard pattern, but this was a very definite rainbow effect. Long vertical color bands that varied just like the colors of a rainbow then repeated. I've never seen this before.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLS450, 2015 E250BT 4Matic, 2007 GL320CDI, 2005 SLK350, 2001 SLK320
The cruise stalk is in the same location on every MB I've seen. I also kept hittting it the first week I owned my first MB, but have never hit it since. You will adapt quickly also. I actually like the location because it makes setting and adjusting the cruise very easy.

Now getting used to the transmission stalk on the steering wheel should be interesting. I had an ML loaner with this transmission stalk and found it rather strange. Easier than a floor shifter but still odd.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Hey Boxboss - CONGRATS and glad everything went well. I did kind of miss the dancing weiners on your post though

I have also noticed the "rainbow" with my sunglasses but it's not very distracting. I think it may be due to the laminate film being at a different "angle" than the sunglasses.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:45 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Congrats boxboss, Will you be mounting the wheels yourself or let Mac's? Dido with the polarized thing and turn signal. Thank God it's not like that through the windshield! Doesn't bother me now. I was in a habit of running my hand thru the steering wheel for the blinker but not any more. I lobbied hard for a black one but settled. Trust me, it will be hard to work for the next couple of weeks.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Congrats......! Took me a while to get past the cruise control stalk issue BUT now I actually like it.....It really is easy to on/off and vary the cruise speed without looking to find the proper button, etc. I really enjoy the feeling of driving a "solid" and "quality oriented" machine like this...........enjoy your drive
Old 05-18-2007, 07:19 AM

13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
Congrats! I had nore trouble with the shift stalk than anything for the first week, just seemed a bit counter intuitive at first but like always now it is just normal. I agree on the climate control system being very powerful and effective. In Boston here, it was almost 90 last week and today its only 40, I just leave it set @ 72 and forget it, works beautiful. I see you got the wood steering wheel also, isn't it nice, they do a good job with that. Post some pics with the new wheels!
Old 05-18-2007, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Nice Ride!

Hey boxboss...thanks for a great initial report and it sounds like you are very pleased Glad the delivery went well...your rep sounds like mine. He did the delivery intro on my S and covered everything so thorougly I didn't even need the manual.

The cruise control situation will become second nature after awhile...MB has had that arrangement for many, many years. Also the shift it really nice. It was strange for me on the S when I got it but now it is automatic and really convenient.

How do you like the door sills?

Will be waiting for the pics with the new wheels....enjoy the new ride...
Old 05-18-2007, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by mbslk350
The cruise stalk is in the same location on every MB I've seen. I also kept hittting it the first week I owned my first MB, but have never hit it since. You will adapt quickly also. I actually like the location because it makes setting and adjusting the cruise very easy.

Now getting used to the transmission stalk on the steering wheel should be interesting. I had an ML loaner with this transmission stalk and found it rather strange. Easier than a floor shifter but still odd.
Myfirst MB was in '89 and I don't remember them being reversed (in my mind.) My 6 and 7 are reversed on the cruise stalk - may take a little remembering what to do in the different cars.

The 7 has the same type transmission shifter on the column (up reverse, down drive, button park) so that was easy.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by oknish
Hey Boxboss - CONGRATS and glad everything went well. I did kind of miss the dancing weiners on your post though

I have also noticed the "rainbow" with my sunglasses but it's not very distracting. I think it may be due to the laminate film being at a different "angle" than the sunglasses.
They're bananas Nish, but here you go:

The wait is over...
Old 05-18-2007, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Hey boxboss...thanks for a great initial report and it sounds like you are very pleased Glad the delivery went well...your rep sounds like mine. He did the delivery intro on my S and covered everything so thorougly I didn't even need the manual.

The cruise control situation will become second nature after awhile...MB has had that arrangement for many, many years. Also the shift it really nice. It was strange for me on the S when I got it but now it is automatic and really convenient.

How do you like the door sills?

Will be waiting for the pics with the new wheels....enjoy the new ride...
The door sills are a very nice addition. They add just the right touch of class to what my wife calls an "understated" SUV. I would highly recommend them.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks...glad I made the sills part of my list.

What is the "BONUS" black bumper guard?
Old 05-18-2007, 08:10 AM

A joke. The GL's are shipping with that black one now, rather than nothing. Of course, when I ordered it was unknown so it wasn't on my order sheet. It's a "bonus" because it came with it. Those of us that had planned on using L8apex's instructions for mounting the stainless one are a bit perplexed now. It's kind of like an "Oh, gee...thanks." Like the Christmas gift you really hate, but have to say thanks for.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by boxboss
The door sills are a very nice addition. They add just the right touch of class to what my wife calls an "understated" SUV. I would highly recommend them.
on the sills.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011

Does anyone know ...... can the dealer install the illuminated sills after delivery or must they be factory ordered?
Old 05-18-2007, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by blittle
Does anyone know ...... can the dealer install the illuminated sills after delivery or must they be factory ordered?
blittle, I'm pretty sure than can be installed by the dealer. They appear to be an easy installation - the only issue will be connecting power, and I'm sure the wiring harness has a termination where it needs to be.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:06 AM

GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
Congrats BoxBoss......Post a picture of those wheels once you get them put on. I would really like to see what the 20's look like versus the 22's.......I completely agree on the cruise control/turn signal stalks but you will get used to them (althought I still screw up every know and then and engage the cruise control when I am going to turn)......
Old 05-18-2007, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by blittle
They are definately something that can be and is done after delivery. My dealer quoted me $430 to purchase them, $400 to install, plus Uncle Sam. They only show as available for the front, though. It's a pretty slick option but for $830+tax, I'm looking around for a better deal.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jack450
Congrats boxboss, Will you be mounting the wheels yourself or let Mac's?
I'm going to use an installer in Belmont. Quoted me $65 (for all 4) for removing sensors from 18's, mounting and balancing the 20's.

They are a recommended installer from Tirerack and accepted my drop shipped tires. Mac's is OK, but they are too busy and hectic for me - plus don't stock Pirelli's. I'd rather have a smaller place that has time to do a slow, careful job.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:14 PM

NJ Edison, ACURA TL , GL450
Great

Great news !! I am glad the delivery was smooth and satisfactory.

NJ - your should be here in no time my friend ! All the best
Old 05-18-2007, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sgresser
They are definately something that can be and is done after delivery. My dealer quoted me $430 to purchase them, $400 to install, plus Uncle Sam. They only show as available for the front, though. It's a pretty slick option but for $830+tax, I'm looking around for a better deal.

$830 + You are right....! I should have put them in the original order.........but I sure don't think it's worth that kind of money now!
Old 05-18-2007, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by sgresser
Illuminated sills can be added by the dealer but labor is a killer (3 to 4 hours). They look really sharp but are only available for fronts. I know in my case, if they did have back ones, they would probably last a month with all the leaping that our in-house Spiderman does from those sills.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A joke. The GL's are shipping with that black one now, rather than nothing. Of course, when I ordered it was unknown so it wasn't on my order sheet. It's a "bonus" because it came with it. Those of us that had planned on using L8apex's instructions for mounting the stainless one are a bit perplexed now. It's kind of like an "Oh, gee...thanks." Like the Christmas gift you really hate, but have to say thanks for.
Oops...my bad. Did not think of the rear bumper sill guard...was thinking about something over the front....
Old 05-18-2007, 02:14 PM

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
My instructions not to wash or wax were followed.
Hi, boss:

Congratulations on your new GL. Can't wait to see pics with the new wheels. One question, though. Why did you instruct the dealer not to wash/wax before delivery? I would imagine seeing any imperfections on a dirty car would be next to impossible. Things can slip by quality control, you know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The wait is over!