GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

three new features unlocked today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
three new features unlocked today

I know the mirror dip has been discussed thoroughly. My dealership activated it today. They first tried to activate via the steering wheel controls. I think they had to go beyond those controls to activate the mirror dip.

I looked into the options accessed through the steering wheel and turned one two features under comfort:

1. Comfort Access-the steering wheel lifts up after the engine turns off and goes back into position after turning the engine off. I thought the air suspension would go down : )

2. Side mirror auto-fold after locking-the side view mirrors fold after locking the door from the outside. It unfolds after you get back in.

Loving my GL450. Just ordered the griot's garage random orbiter polish/wax kit. They wrote back and somehow I ended up adding more stuff to push the order total over $300. They make everything you can imagine for making car maintenance more enjoyable. I'm selling my Land Rover and I was planning on spending $350 to detail it. So now I have the tools to detail my LR and my other cars without all the manual polishing normally involved. We'll see.

Last edited by 85mm; 09-27-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I would love to know "technical details" on how your dealer unlocked the mirror dip. That would help me sound half intelligent when I ask my dealer.

The side mirror fold is just cool
Old 09-28-2007, 12:54 AM

GL450
Originally Posted by oknish
I would love to know "technical details" on how your dealer unlocked the mirror dip. That would help me sound half intelligent when I ask my dealer.

I just asked as if it was supposed to work. The service advisor reacted as if all I had to do was choose the passenger side mirror and go in reverse. I thought I'd have to explain that someone did it online and get denied. But he said he'd figure it out. Have them call MB of San Francisco if they don't know but I'm sure they can do it.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:55 AM

2014 GL 450
The side fold mirror thing is cool, but I don't use it. I park in my driveway at home & an assigned parking spot at work. I can see where it would be useful in a tight parking situation.

I, too, would like to know the "buzz words" to use for the auto dip feature. I don't have a whole lot of confidence in the service folks at my MB dealership. Couple that with being a blonde female and I'm usually not taken too seriously by them. I'd like to at least sound intelligent when I'm talking to them about the feature.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by 85mm
2. Side mirror auto-fold after locking-the side view mirrors fold after locking the door from the outside. It unfolds after you get back in.
Just FYI, I've seen two MB sedans (I think a C and an S) driving down the road with mirrors folded in. My sales associate said she recommended we don't turn that on as people who use it consistantly tend to have it die about three days after the warranty runs out. Again, not based on anything but anecdotal (sp?) experience.

STP
Old 09-28-2007, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Just FYI, I've seen two MB sedans (I think a C and an S) driving down the road with mirrors folded in. My sales associate said she recommended we don't turn that on as people who use it consistantly tend to have it die about three days after the warranty runs out. Again, not based on anything but anecdotal (sp?) experience.

STP
The features Steve mentions are standard and just have to be selected under the comfort heading in the MFD. The mirror folding feature is a good one and on my S you could elect to fold them anytime. I find it helpful when pulling into an ATM or some such space to fold them and insure those poles don't take my mirror out.

Even thought I corrected myself yesterday, when I got in the car later I put it in R and the mirror dipped automatically.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:36 AM

GL450
Originally Posted by StevethePilot

STP
I'd be more cautious but my lease is only 33mo and is fully covered for that period (mileage should be fine). Thanks for the heads up though. One thing I don't like about the folded position is that it exposes that plastic inards of the mirrors.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:22 PM

E320 & GL450
Originally Posted by oknish

I found this on the online GL manual.
Storing the parking position* To make it easier to park, you can store the front-passenger side exterior mirror position in such a way that you can see the rear wheel on that side as soon as you engage reverse gear.

You can store a parking position for the exterior mirror on the front-passenger side using the memory button.

You will find information about using the exterior mirror's parking position in the "Parking aid" section more.

Adjustment button
Exterior mirror on the front-passenger side
Exterior mirror on the driver's side

Make sure that the vehicle is stationary and that the key is in position 2 in the ignition lock.

Press button for the exterior mirror on the front-passenger side.

Engage reverse gear.

The exterior mirror on the front-passenger side moves to the preset parking position.

Use adjustment button to adjust the exterior mirror to a position which allows you to see the rear wheel and the kerb.

The parking position is stored.

When you shift the automatic transmission into another gear, the exterior mirror on the front-passenger side returns to the driving position.

Here is the link for the online:must be hosted in Germany
http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars...44.html#N155E5
Old 09-28-2007, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by tm4exc
Storing the parking position* To make it easier to park, you can store the front-passenger side exterior mirror position in such a way that you can see the rear wheel on that side as soon as you engage reverse gear.

You can store a parking position for the exterior mirror on the front-passenger side using the memory button.

You will find information about using the exterior mirror's parking position in the "Parking aid" section more.

Adjustment button

Make sure that the vehicle is stationary and that the key is in position 2 in the ignition lock.

Engage reverse gear.

The exterior mirror on the front-passenger side moves to the preset parking position.

Use adjustment button to adjust the exterior mirror to a position which allows you to see the rear wheel and the kerb.

When you shift the automatic transmission into another gear, the exterior mirror on the front-passenger side returns to the driving position.

Great post...that should take care of this one...:-)
Old 09-28-2007, 06:29 PM

08 S-550 & 08 GL-550
just picked up my 550 from having
the 3k service done.... The rep told me that the mirror dip
feature was not avail anymore,,
I told him about the few people here on the forum that just
had it done ,,, He stood there looking at me like I was nuts
so I just dropped it.....
Old 09-28-2007, 07:14 PM

E320 & GL450
Originally Posted by dsunnym1
just picked up my 550 from having
the 3k service done.... The rep told me that the mirror dip
I told him about the few people here on the forum that just
had it done ,,, He stood there looking at me like I was nuts
so I just dropped it.....
Like mine, your dealership probably does not have a glut of experts. I never did think the vehicle had a drivers side dip incorporated as you normally would not need it as the dip is designed for a curb check when you are backing up. That feature is also not listed in the manual I extracted Check your manual in teh xection I extracted to see if the dealer folks are right. Most at the dealerships don't even read the manual.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:52 PM

2008 GL450 / 1999 ML320
The rep told me that the mirror dip
Well it was certainly available on my August build GL450.. so I think that answer is code for; "We don't know and we don't really care to take the time to figure it out."
Old 09-28-2007, 09:12 PM

08 S-550 & 08 GL-550

Adjustment button

Engage reverse gear.

Please excuse my ignorance,

Is this the steps to program are mirrors to dip our self's??
Old 09-28-2007, 09:18 PM

1972 Chevy Vega 2300 - Panel Express
Originally Posted by ReachWest
Well it was certainly available on my August build GL450.. so I think that answer is code for; "We don't know and we don't really care to take the time to figure it out."
Sadly, this feature is available everywhere but the U.S.A. due to numerous J.D. Power complaints from American M-B owners that the feature is "distracting and confusing". So, DCAG solved the issue by removing it on U.S vehicles.

I know....
Old 09-28-2007, 11:08 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Personally, I dislike that function. Yes, there are times when it would be nice to see the curb or white line, but I can always initiate it manually.

When I got my Silverado, I thought that would be the neatest feature of all. After about a week, I said BS and changed it back to normal. I didn't like seeing the ground and not being able to see where I was backing, especially on the passenger side. I learned at an early age (a very early age) how to back a gooseneck horse trailer using nothing but the side mirrors. I found it to be very distacting and of little use to me. The Silverado has the option of one or both mirrors tilting down in reverse, and I choose neither. JMHO.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:01 AM

E320 & GL450
Steps to program the auto dip when in reverse.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:02 AM

E320 & GL450
Please excuse my ignorance,

Is this the steps to program are mirrors to dip our self's??
Should have quoted sorry. The extract from the manual are the steps to program the auto dip when in reverse feature.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:32 AM

08 S-550 & 08 GL-550
Should have quoted sorry. The extract from the manual are the steps to program the auto dip when in reverse feature.
I thought so,

So I tried several times with no success.
Am I missing something here?

Do I need to first set it to tilt position In a memory setting?.
I just cant get this to work!

Last edited by dsunnym1; 09-29-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by GL Fahrer
Sadly, this feature is available everywhere but the U.S.A. due to numerous J.D. Power complaints from American M-B owners that the feature is "distracting and confusing". So, DCAG solved the issue by removing it on U.S vehicles.

I know....
This makes as much sense as it did when General Motors changed the suburban fuel tank capacity from 46 gallons to 31 gallons. Their story was customers complained that it costs too much to fill the tank. Well, duh. More gas costs more than less gas.

Back to the mirror thingy. On my E class, I have the option of the mirror dipping or NOT dipping. All I have to do is place the left-right selector in the left position and the mirror does not dip. Place it in the right position and it dips. That does not seem to me to be so complicated that the feature warrants discontinuing.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by Can Drive 55
This makes as much sense as it did when General Motors changed the suburban fuel tank capacity from 46 gallons to 31 gallons. Their story was customers complained that it costs too much to fill the tank. Well, duh. More gas costs more than less gas.
"Doctor, it hurts when I do this!" "Well then don't DO that!"
Old 09-29-2007, 12:03 PM

'12 ML350
I thought so,

So I tried several times with no success.
Am I missing something here?

Do I need to first set it to tilt position In a memory setting?.
I just cant get this to work!
I've too tried to program per the owner's manual with no success on my '08 E.

Hence my previous post about after my research, found out that this function seems to have been 'turned off' but can be turned on again by the techs at the dealership level through the Star diagnostic system.

Just for comparison, checked on my parents' '05 E500 4matic wagon and this feature was programmable through the "Settings" screen on the OBC - but this is not the case on my '08.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:39 AM

2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by rkao
I've too tried to program per the owner's manual with no success on my '08 E.

Hence my previous post about after my research, found out that this function seems to have been 'turned off' but can be turned on again by the techs at the dealership level through the Star diagnostic system.

Just for comparison, checked on my parents' '05 E500 4matic wagon and this feature was programmable through the "Settings" screen on the OBC - but this is not the case on my '08.
for all 07 and 08's the mirror tilt feature needs to be turned on via star by the dealer.

i have an 07 and got this feature turned on 1 week ago.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:33 PM

08 S-550 & 08 GL-550
Originally Posted by vinceching
for all 07 and 08's the mirror tilt feature needs to be turned on via star by the dealer.

not that simple,,
when your bonehead service advisor's have no idea of this!!
Old 10-08-2007, 02:53 PM

2001 BMW 540i/6-speed, 2008 GL550
Originally Posted by vinceching

Since I'm new to MB, would you kindly explain what "turned on via star by dealer" means? Some sort of internet-based OBD interface? Also, does this modification have an associated code name that would make it easier to request when I get my 1K service?

By the way, thanks for the info!
Old 10-11-2007, 10:43 AM

2015 GL350, 2015 750i
I actually find the auto folding mirrors useful for figuring out if I've locked my doors or not. If you're like me and have no short term memory, it's nice to get a visual indicator that you did in fact lock the vehicle.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: three new features unlocked today