Glove Box Removal, 2000 W210, Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Glove Box Removal, 2000 W210, Help

OK, so I have an early 2000 that I bought just before they started putting nav systems in. I only mention this because I think I heard the glove box is different for the nav cars than the no-nav cars. I went to try and replace the cabin filters per the filter installation instructions and my glove box is different than what is shown in the directions. I was able to do the charcoal filters down below without any problems. But the two regular filters require removing this glove box. I removed all screws that I could find and it still doesn't seem to want to come out. The screws I found were 2 in the bottom toward seats, and 2 on the upper front corner's facing. There were also 2 rubber cushion screws just below those. With all of these screws out it feels a bit loose, but like it's still got screws somewhere. There are what look like 2 more places for screws on each side of the box' light (upper surface toward seats) I've stuck various tools (phillips, sockets) into those holes but can't seem to find any fastener.

Does anyone know how to get this ^&%*&% glove box out? I thought this was going to take 10 minutes to replace these filters. I guess not!!

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 05-20-2008, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 E55, 03FORD P/S,01 E320-4M,99 ML320,O4 E55,05 RUBICON UNLIMITED,
Originally Posted by Vrodman
OK, so I have an early 2000 that I bought just before they started putting nav systems in. I only mention this because I think I heard the glove box is different for the nav cars than the no-nav cars. I went to try and replace the cabin filters per the filter installation instructions and my glove box is different than what is shown in the directions. I was able to do the charcoal filters down below without any problems. But the two regular filters require removing this glove box. I removed all screws that I could find and it still doesn't seem to want to come out. The screws I found were 2 in the bottom toward seats, and 2 on the upper front corner's facing. There were also 2 rubber cushion screws just below those. With all of these screws out it feels a bit loose, but like it's still got screws somewhere. There are what look like 2 more places for screws on each side of the box' light (upper surface toward seats) I've stuck various tools (phillips, sockets) into those holes but can't seem to find any fastener.

Does anyone know how to get this ^&%*&% glove box out? I thought this was going to take 10 minutes to replace these filters. I guess not!!

Thanks in advance for your help
THERE ARE SIX SCREWS TOTAL, 2 FACING YOU, 2 UNDER THE RUBBER PLUGS ON THE BOTTOM AND 2 IN THE CENTER OF THE BOX GOING STRAIGHT UP. WITH ALL 6 OUT, JERK THE GLOVE BOX DOOR TOWARDS YOU RATHER FORCEFULLY AND IT SHOULD POP OUT. THERE SHOULD BE ENOUGH WIRE W/ OR W/O NAV TO HAVE IT LAY THERE W/O ANY PROBLEMS WHILE YOU CHANGE THE FILTERS. THEY ARE IN THERE PRETTY TIGHT BUT IT WILL COME OUT,GOOD LUCK.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBTEK
THERE ARE SIX SCREWS TOTAL, 2 FACING YOU, 2 UNDER THE RUBBER PLUGS ON THE BOTTOM AND 2 IN THE CENTER OF THE BOX GOING STRAIGHT UP. WITH ALL 6 OUT, JERK THE GLOVE BOX DOOR TOWARDS YOU RATHER FORCEFULLY AND IT SHOULD POP OUT. THERE SHOULD BE ENOUGH WIRE W/ OR W/O NAV TO HAVE IT LAY THERE W/O ANY PROBLEMS WHILE YOU CHANGE THE FILTERS. THEY ARE IN THERE PRETTY TIGHT BUT IT WILL COME OUT,GOOD LUCK.
Thanks MBTEK, It is the two that are going straight up that seem to be the problem. I've tried sticking screwdrivers up these holes (1 on each side of the glove box light) and can't seem to feel any screw heads up there. Do you know if they are phillips heads like the other four? Do I need a special tool to get these two screws?

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Still Hoping for an Answer to Question Above

Still looking for an answer to the question above. What are, and how do I get to, the two fasteners that go straight up on each side of the glovebox light? They seem to have a vertical round channel to get to them, but I can't seem to engage a phillips or socket into them. The other 4 fasteners are phillips, but these don't seem to be???

Thanks in Advance.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
Use a small mirror to look and see if there is even any screws in it. If not, there are 2 tabs that hold the top in. You have to pop the top out. You can do it by using a smoothe wedge between the flocked part of the glove box and the wood trim if you are careful. It takes me 3 minutes to change them with a short phillips and my pocket screwdriver.
The following users liked this post:
m.predeus (06-14-2022)
Old 05-28-2008, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nick 55
Use a small mirror to look and see if there is even any screws in it. If not, there are 2 tabs that hold the top in. You have to pop the top out. You can do it by using a smoothe wedge between the flocked part of the glove box and the wood trim if you are careful. It takes me 3 minutes to change them with a short phillips and my pocket screwdriver.
Thanks. I don't think there are any screws up there and it probably is a couple of "snap" type fasteners. I'll try popping it down with a putty knife. Thanks again.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Did my filters last week (third attempt) that box is tight.
It required way too much force to remove, but once it was out I took my trusty Xacto knife and Dremel to it, and dressed down the obvious problem areas. next filter change will be a breeze.