CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

CLK 63 BLACK SERIES TRANSMISSION UPGRADE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:34 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Exclamation CLK 63 BLACK SERIES TRANSMISSION UPGRADE

As many of you know, I approached AMG shortly after taking deliver of my Black Series in an effort to see if they would make the SPEEDSHIFT PLUS 7G-TRONIC with blipping function available to Black Series owners. It seemed very strange to me that this functionality is standard on the C63 and other regular AMGs....but NOT the Black Series ?? Even the new SL 65 Black Series' 5 speed transmission has this functionality. So, why not our CLK's ??? Everyone now knows that the CLK Black Series is an amazing achievement for AMG and an outstanding car. But, the lack of this functionality in the track ready CLK while it exists in other, less driver oriented models, makes no sense whatsoever.

So, I would like for this thread to serve as a place for Black Series owners to voice their opinion about this topic and I will do my best to make sure AMG is made aware of it and hopefully they will reconsider and do the right thing.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
C'mon AMG, copy and paste the key lines of code from the C63 to the Black Series.
I'll volunteer my ECU.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:35 PM

Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by LZH
As many of you know, I approached AMG shortly after taking deliver of my Black Series in an effort to see if they would make the SPEEDSHIFT PLUS 7G-TRONIC with blipping function available to Black Series owners. It seemed very strange to me that this functionality is standard on the C63 and other regular AMGs....but NOT the Black Series ?? Even the new SL 65 Black Series' 5 speed transmission has this functionality. So, why not our CLK's ??? Everyone now knows that the CLK Black Series is an amazing achievement for AMG and an outstanding car. But, the lack of this functionality in the track ready CLK while it exists in other, less driver oriented models, makes no sense whatsoever.

So, I would like for this thread to serve as a place for Black Series owners to voice their opinion about this topic and I will do my best to make sure AMG is made aware of it and hopefully they will reconsider and do the right thing.
Getting that functionality would definitely be a worthwhile endeavor for the CLK - especially given how track-worthy it is.

Has the issue been raised in the AMG Private Lounge?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:59 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
Has the issue been raised in the AMG Private Lounge?
Yes, it has. That is where I initially approached AMG. Here's the link...

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...ht=open+letter
Old 02-03-2009, 06:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
2012 CLS63, 2009 Scud, 1978 930 Turbo
Hey AMG Brass - Listen up!!!!!
You are being offered a gift right now: the voice of your customers in trying economic times!!!

Instead of you having to hire a marketing firm to identify your KEY CUSTOMERS, poll them and figure out what they want, your KEY CUSTOMERS are coming to you. What could possibly be better than that?!?!?!

You basically acheived greatness with the CLK63BS: a beautifully balanced, powerful beast with phenomenal build quality and scarcity to boot!!! Longterm this car is destined to be a classic, especially if the prevailing economic conditions cause the auto manufacturers to throttle back (no pun intended) on their high-end performance offerings going forward.

Unfortunately, you fumbled a bit with the tranny on the BS. It makes no sense to offer optimized shifting standard on the same tranny in a 4-door variant costing less than half of the MSRP on the BS. Your BS owners are brand-loyal enthusiasts who are your best source of advertising for the marque. Unfortunately, those who paid sticker for their BS's now have a
$50K depreciation hit in less than 1 year to digest.

Why not do the right thing and offer to reflash the ECU's on all US Black Series cars as a thank you to these loyal customers???? Any nominal expense to MBUSA would be more than offset by the goodwill you would generate with your loyal high-end customers. Moreover, you would only be enhancing the reputation of a vehicle that already has a cult-like following among knowledgable enthusiasts.

Your customers are basically screaming into your ears what they want. If my customers were nice enough to do the same thing for my business, I would scramble to meet their requests as quickly as possible.

It's "Marketing 101" baby. Do WHATEVER it takes to keep your key customers happy, especially during trying times like these.

We eagerly await your response.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^

Great post and a great argument for a "revision" How about it MB?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:59 PM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
It does bother me as well that MB would not take the initiative to have this upgrade performed for the BS. We are not asking for a new tranny or engine, just a software upgrade so that we owners could experience what the C63 guys have standard!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:00 PM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
I would like to add my name to the list of those who would like to have the rev-matching added to my CLK63 BS.

Keep trying, Luke.

JDB
Old 02-03-2009, 11:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK BS
You can add my name to the petition list as well. Thx.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:24 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
Yeah it's surprising they can't upgrade your transmission! Out of curiosity, wasn't MHP able to add this feature for you guys through his TCU tune?
Old 02-04-2009, 12:12 AM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
First, I'd like to congratulate and thank Mercedes Benz for not only building this great car, but also making it available to the public. I'm sure it wasn't easy for the engineers to sell this car to the MB marketing department. Over the years I was fortunate enough to own some very nice cars, but the Black Series is by far my favorite of them all.
If the mechanical components of the BS transmission are indeed identical to the C63's and it is only a software upgrade, I would like that option to be made available. However, if for what ever reason it affects the performance characteristics of the transmission in any way, then at least I'd like to get an explanation. If it's purely a matter of cost, I wouldn't be opposed to coming up with some money.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
I want the upgrade like many of you, but you're not going to get it for free! AMG works on a much larger scale than we're acustom and there is someone who's putting the screws to our demands. I have a good idea who it is as I went down this road on a header and ecu over a year ago. My contact was investigated and eventually reassigned.

You must understand the US market presents a perplexing issue for AMG, on the one hand we're a country of wealth and their largest market. But, the government regulations just kill the desire to modify any product after introduction....unless there is money in it. It has to make sense for both the consumer and the manufacturer. I know that AMG built a special G wagon with Leica night vision optics that cost the owner 9 million dollars. They will build the upgrade. My guess it will cost $50K to do it and if you think it's less you're underestimating the engineering. Powerchip paid 20K for the codes to upgrade the ecu and it's still not 100%.

So the first thing to do is ask AMG how much it will cost. If my German was better I'd do it myself, but I know we have several connected guys like Luke and Sascha who might be able to help.
Jimmy

I know that AMG will build anything if your willing to pay. They built a G wagon for a customer with night vision for hunting in the desert for 9 million $.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
That feature would be awesome. Sign me up!
Old 02-04-2009, 04:59 PM

Clk Black Series
i really hope they see our desire and decide to do something about it
Old 02-04-2009, 06:21 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series, CL55 AMG, ML350, Audi S4
Please ad my name to the list as well. It would be great if AMG/MB would comp the upgrade but even if it costs a (reasonable) amount I think most of the BS owners would want it. Sign me up.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:32 AM
slm

CLK63 AMG BS, Ferrari CS, GL450, R500, 1985 Porsche dp 935 Cab
I have owned, and still own, a whole bunch of different Mercedes products and am a very proud owner of a CLK BS. I was on the list to purchase one of these cars well before most even knew they were coming. I would really like to see this option made available to those of us who own these cars.

Last edited by slm; 02-05-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:26 AM

2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
While I applaud the effort, I unfortunately believe this is just wishful thinking on all of our parts. If you recall, after similar requests were made many months ago, AMG originally announced that they were working on it and would have an upgrade avaible to us by the summer. They then announced much to our disappointment that after doing some research, it would be too expensive to justify the cost. I believe for the american market it involves more than reprogrammed software-that some parts may have to be changed which would require additional testing and certification costs for the U.S. Whether that is correct or not the fact is that AMG had to make an embarrassing about face on offering the upgrade, which i don't think they did lightly. So if they were willing to make that hard choice last summer, what makes anyone think they are going to change their mind in this economic climate for a maximum of 350 owners when they have a lot more pressing issues on their hands and a lot less money to address those issues.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series & 1994 MB E500
I remember bringing it up in a Private Lounge session even to the point of suggesting that I would be willing to pay for it to offset any cost to them. Of the 350 out there I"m sure you'd find 250 of those willing to fork over a couple hundred for it. Add that up and you got an easy $50k for for nothing. Granted I know you want the upgrade for free, I want it for free too. I vaguely remember the Private Lounge conversation as its been 6 months or so ago, but it was something to the effect of the AMG reps brought up if you do it for one model you have to do it for other models that have similar trannys, then I think they brought up the R & D factor and that they haven't tested it and that creates a liability with warranty. Blah Blah Blah.

Put me down for wanting downshift blips.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:46 AM

CLK63 BS AUDI S5 AUDI Q7 4.2 SLine C230 Sport 2010 ML 350
I would love to have this feature as well and would support any and all attempts to get AMG to not only recognize us but to be able to offer us something as well. The least they could do is figure out what it will cost us and then it would be up to us to decide if we wanted to do it.
It also burns my *** that a car that costs half as much has this feature and ours doesnt for no apparent reason.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Add me to the list please, it would be an awesome addition to a already fantistic piece of kit.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:14 AM

WHT BS
Luke,
Thanks in advance for the galiant effort. I would also love to have the ecu upgrade. Include me on the list.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Add my name to the list as well. I assume this will require ECU/TCU flashing at a dealership and I guess it would be safe to assume that this will overide any aftermarket tunes ECU tunes we have on our cars already. Should we manage to get MB to do something for us will this change anything at the tuners end when they go to put our aftermarket tunes back on our ECU'S?
Old 02-10-2009, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by AMG Information
CLK 63 AMG Black Series Owners,

Due to the overwhelming feedback of Private Lounge CLK 63 AMG Black Series owners, AMG is currently engineering a solution to retrofit the rev matching downshift programming for the CLK Black Series. This solution should be available via your dealerships by early Q3. We will notify everyone via the AMG Private Lounge once the solution is in place.

Best regards,

AMG Private Lounge Team

__________________________________________________ ___________
I found the above post that was dated 04-2008. It seems as though the Q3 has come and gone and nothing got done. I have only owned my Black for a few months but I would REALLY like to have the upgrade. So what happeded ??
The following users liked this post:
Mahhn (05-22-2020)
Old 02-11-2009, 01:25 AM

2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
Originally Posted by selynn
Originally Posted by AMG Information
CLK 63 AMG Black Series Owners,

Due to the overwhelming feedback of Private Lounge CLK 63 AMG Black Series owners, AMG is currently engineering a solution to retrofit the rev matching downshift programming for the CLK Black Series. This solution should be available via your dealerships by early Q3. We will notify everyone via the AMG Private Lounge once the solution is in place.

Best regards,

AMG Private Lounge Team

__________________________________________________ ___________
I found the above post that was dated 04-2008. It seems as though the Q3 has come and gone and nothing got done. I have only owned my Black for a few months but I would REALLY like to have the upgrade. So what happeded ??
If you were able to find that, then you should also be able to find the post in one of the private lounge chat sessions (I think it was in May2008) where they subsequently announced that after doing the research, they decided it was not a simple fix and that it would take too much time and expense. See the MBWorld link below where this was discussed at the time and which provides the subsequent AMG response from the Private Lounge. https://mbworld.org/forums/clk63-bla...eady-know.html

Last edited by ET550; 02-11-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ET550
If you were able to find that, then you should also be able to find the post in one of the private lounge chat sessions (I think it was in May2008) where they subsequently announced that after doing the research, they decided it was not a simple fix and that it would take too much time and expense. See the MBWorld link below where this was discussed at the time and which provides the subsequent AMG response from the Private Lounge. https://mbworld.org/forums/clk63-bla...eady-know.html
Thank you, I did find the post you are referring too. DARN IT !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLK 63 BLACK SERIES TRANSMISSION UPGRADE