E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Vacuum Oil Extraction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E350
Vacuum Oil Extraction

I have tried vacuum oil extraction for a 2015 E350. But, I only got 4 quarts before it started sucking air. This even after I inserted the extraction tube 3 or 4 inches past the end of the dip stick.

Anyone know why this isn't working?
Old 01-09-2017, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
you have to push the tube all the way down till there is resistance.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:56 PM

2015 E350
I tried this twice. First time the tube was pushed in only to the depth of the dip stick. Four quarts were extracted. Next time, I pushed the tube 3 or 4 inches past the depth of the dip stick until it would go no further. Again, it extracted only 4 quarts. This is clearly far less than the 7-quart capacity of the crank case.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 837 Likes on 606 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by wgray105
I tried this twice. First time the tube was pushed in only to the depth of the dip stick. Four quarts were extracted. Next time, I pushed the tube 3 or 4 inches past the depth of the dip stick until it would go no further. Again, it extracted only 4 quarts. This is clearly far less than the 7-quart capacity of the crank case.

Was your engine oil very hot when you tried to vacuum it out?
Old 01-09-2017, 07:27 PM

2015 E350
Oil was warm but not up to engine operating temperature. I should mention that the extractor was sucking air after sucking out about 4 quarts of oil.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

did you check your oil level before warming up your car?
Old 01-09-2017, 07:55 PM

2015 E350
I checked it after warming the car. It was about 1/2 quart low -- therefore still about 6-1/2 quarts remaining. After trying the vacuum extractor, I gave up and poured the 4 quarts that had been extracted back into the engine. Then I drained the oil by removing the drain plug getting about 6-1/2 quarts out. Obviously the vacuum extraction tube is not getting to the bottom of the oil pan.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:42 PM

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
2014 E-350
I was concerned the first time I used the vac extract. I only managed to extract about 4 quarts, just like you. I pumped up the vac several times, pushed the tube in as far as humanly possible, pulled it out slightly, removed it all the way...every way I could think of.

I determined there must've been a lack of oil. I have no leaks, it was MB dealer-installed oil from when I bought the car. I filled the car with oil (it took 100% of recommended amount to refill). I then checked the dipstick about every 1K miles in case I was experiencing an oil consumption issue...I wasn't.

Next few oil changes I didn't do anything special, and extracted the expected amount each time, around 6-7 quarts.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:52 PM

2015 E350
So, Mr. Fosterelli, did you conclude that your 2014 E350 only had 4 quarts the first time you extracted the oil?

In my case, I put the 4 quarts back in the engine and then drained the oil via the drain plug. Something over 6 quarts came out of the drain. Clearly, the extraction tube is not getting to the bottom of the oil pan.

Furthermore, I did the vacuum extraction a second time after having poured the 4 quarts back into the engine. The first time the extraction tube was inserted only to the same depth as the dip stick. The second time the extraction tube was pushed in an additional 3 or 4 inches. Both times I got only 4 quarts out before the vacuum system started sucking air. This suggests that the extraction tube must have turned sideways the second time rather than going deeper into the pan.

Any Mercedes engineers out there that can comment on this?
Old 01-10-2017, 12:08 AM

2014 E-350
So, Mr. Fosterelli, did you conclude that your 2014 E350 only had 4 quarts the first time you extracted the oil?
I can only assume this, because it hasn't happened since and I tried the tube a million ways the first time.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oil was warm but not up to engine operating temperature. I should mention that the extractor was sucking air after sucking out about 4 quarts of oil.

It happened to me once that all oil did not come out because it was not hot enough.

When I change oil I drive the car for about 15 minutes to heat up the oil. Oil is not hot yet when the engine temperature raises to normal. Engine temperature shows the coolant temperature, which heats up mush faster than oil. My oil is so hot the extractor tube burn my hand if I touch it.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:27 PM

2015 E350
fosterelli said he had trouble the first time but thereafter was successful in extracting 6-7 quarts. So, I decided to try it again. I was able to push the extraction tube in 8 inches past the end of the dip stick. Still, I got out only about 4 quarts. I tried the extraction tube every which way, from the bottom of the dip stick to 8 inches past the bottom of the dip stick. No matter what, all it did was suck air once about 4 quarts had been removed.

Prior to this latest attempt, I drove the car for several miles. Then allowed it to cool for about 15 minutes before extracting the oil, which was still quite hot.

The amount of oil extracted is the same whether the extractor tube is near the bottom of the dip stick or as much as 8 inches past the end of the dip stick. 9 inches past was as far as I could push it. The only way this makes sense is if the extractor tube somehow turns sideways when pushed in farther than the dip stick.

I did contact the manufacturer of the vacuum extraction apparatus. Their comment was, "Oh yeah, Mercedes does this (makes it so the extraction tube can't get to the bottom of the oil pan) so that you're more likely to take your car to a Mercedes dealer to get the oil changed."

Anyone wish to comment on the possibility that Mercedes really does do this?
Old 01-10-2017, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

definitely not..

please read this thread from the start but especially my own post #11

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...clk-550-a.html

somewhere, somehow, somethings not right, either with how you did it or with the extractor.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:54 PM

2014 E-350
I've been pushing mine in until it hits something, can't go any further...

I'm positive MB isn't blocking you by design...because the dealers use a pump through the dipstick as well.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

fosterelli said he had trouble the first time but thereafter was successful in extracting 6-7 quarts. So, I decided to try it again. I was able to push the extraction tube in 8 inches past the end of the dip stick. Still, I got out only about 4 quarts. I tried the extraction tube every which way, from the bottom of the dip stick to 8 inches past the bottom of the dip stick. No matter what, all it did was suck air once about 4 quarts had been removed.

Prior to this latest attempt, I drove the car for several miles. Then allowed it to cool for about 15 minutes before extracting the oil, which was still quite hot.

The amount of oil extracted is the same whether the extractor tube is near the bottom of the dip stick or as much as 8 inches past the end of the dip stick. 9 inches past was as far as I could push it. The only way this makes sense is if the extractor tube somehow turns sideways when pushed in farther than the dip stick.

I did contact the manufacturer of the vacuum extraction apparatus. Their comment was, "Oh yeah, Mercedes does this (makes it so the extraction tube can't get to the bottom of the oil pan) so that you're more likely to take your car to a Mercedes dealer to get the oil changed."

Anyone wish to comment on the possibility that Mercedes really does do this?

Just a silly question but you do have your car on level surface when you pull the oil out, right?
Old 01-10-2017, 08:47 PM

2015 E350
Yes, the car is level.

I'm using a Mityvac extractor. There is nothing wrong with the extractor. It sucks until it sucks only air. Obviously, the extractor tube is somehow not getting to the bottom of the pan. I can push the tube in to just below the dip stick level. At that point, about 4 quarts gets extracted before the extractor starts sucking air. I can then push the tube in further, but the extractor continues to such just air -- not oil. Clearly, the extractor tube is being diverted sideways rather than being allowed to get to the bottom the pan.

I don't know what else to try. There's not much you can do except push the extractor tube into the dip stick tube as far as it will go. I don't see any way to force it to go down to the bottom of the pan instead of sideways, which is what it is obviously doing.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

why do you have to keep pushing the tube in? you only have to push it once. im so confused with your explanations mate. goin back to your older posts. initially you said its pushed as far as it could go, then you can push another 2-4 inches, then you you said you can push 8 inches. its as simple as pushing it in as far as there is resistance. the dip stick length doesnt even matter here.
The following users liked this post:
wgray105 (01-11-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
We use an adapter that only seals into the top of the dipstick tube, doesn't even go down to the bottom, and it pulls all 8 quarts out. Something in your system must be leaking or not creating very much suction.
The following 5 users liked this post by ItalianJoe1:
a4ncar (01-24-2022), Looser (02-09-2020), socci (01-11-2017), strife (11-11-2022), wgray105 (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 12:28 AM

2015 E350
OK. Let me try this again. I initially pushed the tube in until it met a lot of resistance. This turned out to be about as far in as the dip stick goes. But, only about 4 quarts were extracted before the extractor began sucking air. So, I figured the tube had not reached the bottom of the pan and needed to be pushed in further. With some effort, I was able to push the tube in another 2-4 inches. But, I still could not extract more than the 4 quarts. So, on a subsequent try, I pushed the tube in as much as 8 inches past the end of the dip stick. Still, only 4 quarts could be extracted before the extractor began sucking air.

This tells me that no matter how far I push in the extractor tube, it somehow is not getting to the bottom of the oil pan and, therefore, not extracting all the oil. Would you agree with that?

Now, in response to ItalianJoe1. I would not have thought that simply making a seal with the top of the dipstick tube would allow you to extract the oil. I'll have to give that a try.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by Arrie
It happened to me once that all oil did not come out because it was not hot enough.

When I change oil I drive the car for about 15 minutes to heat up the oil. Oil is not hot yet when the engine temperature raises to normal. Engine temperature shows the coolant temperature, which heats up mush faster than oil. My oil is so hot the extractor tube burn my hand if I touch it.
Should have nothing to do with it if he was sucking air. Worst case if oil was not warm, very slow process. I would agree that the extraction hose is not straight and is bending at the end of the tube. Try another hose. I know my kit has a thin wire in the center of the tube to prevent this.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:44 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E550 4Matic Sport P2
You shouldn't need to push down that hard. It will be pretty apparent when the tube hits the bottom of the pan. I could imagine that forcing it in either distorts the tube blocking suction (think of pinching off a garden hose). Also, have you been removing the oil filter or cap before you begin the suction process? If not, I suppose you could be creating a vacuum within the engine?

My steps: Remove dipstick, tread the hose down until it hits the bottom of the pan, seal up the mityvac hose, remove the Engine's oil filter, and start the compressor (the Mity I use is compressor driven vs pump), once it ceases to draw any more oil out and is pretty much full, I install the new filter, and pour in the fresh oil, circulate it, check level, go for a quick drive, check/top off... Done.

While the suction process probably takes 10-15 minutes, I have to say I love this oil change process. It is so much cleaner and easier than having to lift a car. I've honestly been debating starting to change my girlfriend's Audi's oil in the same manner.

Note: I've tried suction with the oil cap off and with the filter off, neither option seemed to do any better or worse. I've done it 3 times at this point.

Last edited by Abrown3mtg; 01-11-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:46 AM

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E350 4MATIC Sport
If you just run the wide Mityvac hose through the black rubber adapter and plug the rubber piece in the dipstick tube it will create an air tight seal and easily pull all 8 quarts. It worked like a charm for me. As mentioned a few comments up you do not even need to run the vacuum hose down to the pan.
The following users liked this post:
Looser (02-09-2020)
Old 01-11-2017, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Should have nothing to do with it if he was sucking air. Worst case if oil was not warm, very slow process. I would agree that the extraction hose is not straight and is bending at the end of the tube. Try another hose. I know my kit has a thin wire in the center of the tube to prevent this.

Temperature matters if oil is too thick and won't freely flow inside the engine to the suction tube.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by socci
If you just run the wide Mityvac hose through the black rubber adapter and plug the rubber piece in the dipstick tube it will create an air tight seal and easily pull all 8 quarts. It worked like a charm for me. As mentioned a few comments up you do not even need to run the vacuum hose down to the pan.

Dip stick tube should not go all the way down in the oil pan and you should not get all oil out using this method.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Abrown3mtg
You shouldn't need to push down that hard. It will be pretty apparent when the tube hits the bottom of the pan. I could imagine that forcing it in either distorts the tube blocking suction (think of pinching off a garden hose). Also, have you been removing the oil filter or cap before you begin the suction process? If not, I suppose you could be creating a vacuum within the engine?

My steps: Remove dipstick, tread the hose down until it hits the bottom of the pan, seal up the mityvac hose, remove the Engine's oil filter, and start the compressor (the Mity I use is compressor driven vs pump), once it ceases to draw any more oil out and is pretty much full, I install the new filter, and pour in the fresh oil, circulate it, check level, go for a quick drive, check/top off... Done.

While the suction process probably takes 10-15 minutes, I have to say I love this oil change process. It is so much cleaner and easier than having to lift a car. I've honestly been debating starting to change my girlfriend's Audi's oil in the same manner.

Note: I've tried suction with the oil cap off and with the filter off, neither option seemed to do any better or worse. I've done it 3 times at this point.

His tube is not pinched as it starts pulling air in the tube.

Vacuum is not created in the engine because there is a breather connection to the engine.

My process is to first make sure oil is very hot. This is the ~15 minutes drive before the change.

Then IMMEDIATELY after the warm-up drive I insert the Mity Vac suction tube thru the dip stick tube until I feel it coming to a stop. I don't force it in, just lightly tap the bottom of the engine and start pumping.

I usually don't remove the filter as I change oil by myself at every 5000 miles and the dealer changes the filter at the 10000 miles interval.

During suction I make sure the tube is at the bottom by tapping it slightly as sometimes the tube moves up during the process.

Suction of the oil takes well less than 10 minutes. Did not time it but nowhere close to 10 minutes. You mention 10 - 15 min so in that case I would say your oil is not hot.

The ONLY time I had a problem with not all oil coming out was when my oil was not super hot. This was one of the early changes when I only ran the car on idle until engine temp came up to normal not realizing that oil heats up much slower. Since then I have made sure the oil is very hot before I suction it out and for that I drive the car at least 15 minutes before the procedure.

Usually I time the oil change so that I do it after a known run of my car, i.e. when it is time for the oil change I plan for it before I go drive the car for shopping or so and if drive is not long enough I just extend the drive until at least 15 minutes driving has accumulated.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vacuum Oil Extraction