Renntech Front splitter..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by larrymz3
Looks awesome. How much does a set like that run?
Under $6k for the sides and front... pricy but the quality is awesome, fitment is spot on.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Ronin,

did you install the side skirts yourself too? I wanted those for my 2018 GTS but they tell me they may not fit? Hmm. Don’t think they changed the body, only the front end.

It it would be pricey to order them and then to find out , they don’t fit my model.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by thecutter64
Ronin,

did you install the side skirts yourself too? I wanted those for my 2018 GTS but they tell me they may not fit? Hmm. Don’t think they changed the body, only the front end.

It it would be pricey to order them and then to find out , they don’t fit my model.
Yeah, they were no problem at all, no need to even jack the car up..
Old 01-26-2018, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Loos gorgeous. My accounting brain did not let me splurge on these and I only did the back end with RW Carbon.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by emericr
Loos gorgeous. My accounting brain did not let me splurge on these and I only did the back end with RW Carbon.
Come on don't be a baby, ya know ya wanna... it will be your next few years xmas presents...that's what I tell my wife
Old 01-27-2018, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Old 01-27-2018, 10:25 PM

Received 378 Likes on 159 Posts
☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt
Please don’t take this personally as I am simply expressing my personal opinion and not intending to hate ...

I actually find that splitter and side skirt combination very unattactive (to put it politely) and anathema to the design language of the vehicle, which at its core is based on beautiful curved design. Unless you were a track rat and those were data backed functional aero pieces to improve performance, they imho ruin the design of the car and look like like out of place cheap add ons. Btw, these will do absolutely nothing to add any performance benefit in public road environments, unless you’re running the silver state classic or something similar.

This is gorgeous:

This is a mess:

It’s obviously your car and you can do whatever you want with it, so if it makes you happy it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks, including myself ... if you truly did this because you thought it was going to help with what you refer to as 'canyon driving' I'm sorry to tell you that you wasted your money, a set of R spec tires like SC2s would have given you a lot more benefit without butchering the lines of the car. If however you did it because you like how it looks and don't expect any performance benefit, then more power to you for trying something different and modifying your car to your taste.

Last edited by soulsea; 01-27-2018 at 10:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kumizi (01-30-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by soulsea
Please don’t take this personally as I am simply expressing my personal opinion and not intending to hate ...

I actually find that splitter and side skirt combination very unattactive (to put it politely) and anathema to the design language of the vehicle, which at its core is based on beautiful curved design. Unless you were a track rat and those were data backed functional aero pieces to improve performance, they imho ruin the design of the car and look like like out of place cheap add ons. Btw, these will do absolutely nothing to add any performance benefit in public road environments, unless you’re running the silver state classic or something similar.

This is gorgeous:

This is a mess:

It’s obviously your car and you can do whatever you want with it, so if it makes you happy it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks, including myself ... if you truly did this because you thought it was going to help with what you refer to as 'canyon driving' I'm sorry to tell you that you wasted your money, a set of R spec tires like SC2s would have given you a lot more benefit without butchering the lines of the car. If however you did it because you like how it looks and don't expect any performance benefit, then more power to you for trying something different and modifying your car to your taste.

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion even if they don't know what they are talking about...
I run Sport Cup 2 tires, KW coil overs, OE Tune and the aero I've added is completely functional. It funnels more air into the heat exchangers at the speeds I drive in the canyons and the side sills keep the sand and gravel from destroying my paint.

I only modify my cars for performance not looks. If you think this aero design is not completely functional, you need to do some research because I have and I know why I spent my money on the best bits out there..

Anytime you want to follow me through the canyons without crossing the centerline let me know, I promise to pull over and wait for you to catch up...
I find it funny that you would criticize my car when you have that little totally useless boy racer wing on the back of your GTR...seriously dude

Last edited by ronin amg; 01-28-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:18 AM

Received 378 Likes on 159 Posts
☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt
Originally Posted by ronin amg
Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion even if they don't know what they are talking about...
I run Sport Cup 2 tires, KW coil overs, OE Tune and the aero I've added is completely functional. It funnels more air into the heat exchangers at the speeds I drive in the canyons and the side sills keep the sand and gravel from destroying my paint.

I only modify my cars for performance not looks. If you think this aero design is not completely functional, you need to do some research because I have and I know why I spent my money on the best bits out there..

Anytime you want to follow me through the canyons without crossing the centerline let me know, I promise to pull over and wait for you to catch up...
I guess you did take it personally ... and your inclination to internet challenge someone simply because they are providing you facts you dislike tells me all I need to know.

Here's a thought exercise for you: What's the difference between data and anecdotal?

Renntech is a highly reputable company that shows their data at every opportunity, when they have any, in order to back up their products.
Please point me to where it says anything about their product doing what you think it is doing on their web page ... I'll wait.

https://www.renntechmercedes.com/ind...-amg-gt-detail

All it says is a vague claim to 'improved air flow' without any wind tunnel or even air flow computer simulation data points, and something about the 'menacing' look.

If such data does exist somewhere else I am happy to stand corrected.
No need for a dissertation post, just a simple link will suffice.

Again, as I stated if you like the way it looks more power to you ... but there's next to zero functionality to these bits.

I won't even dispute that the splitter will likely add downforce, but without a tested package that would include a diffuser and rear wing to balance it, even if you were to reach speeds where these things would matter, you'd be doing more harm than good. Your tenuous grasp on how aerodynamics work is at the root of your purchase.

And lol about buying CF sills to protect paint when the sills are insanely more expensive to replace than a segment of ppf ... in fact you're going to have to ppf the sills. yikes.

I mean you may rationalize it however you want, but you bought very expensive parts under the premise that they achieve something their own manufacturer doesn't claim they do ... and you can come back at me with more personal attacks and awesome driving challenges, but there's nothing you can say that will change that fact.

/i'mout

PS to address your edit: I take all of my cars to the track, you know, the responsible place to speed, and what you call a boy racer wing is an oem tested part that was part of a active and passive comprehensive aero package that smoked the 991.1 RS (which I also owned and tracked, talk about a ridiculous wing) and many other cars both in and above its segment at the ring. That's functional aero with R&D, countless testing laps, and all the resulting data to back it up, the exact opposite of what you did. Oh and not for nothing it did it without a spatula on the front clip or hydrofoils on the side. But to be fair to you you're probably much faster on your canyon drives.

Last edited by soulsea; 01-28-2018 at 02:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by soulsea:
Fame Douglas (01-30-2018), kumizi (01-30-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Old 01-28-2018, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I corrected my edit

It seems that Mercedes racing enjoy the benefits of a spatula on track and have added wider heat exchanger scoops due to function over form..Now their competition setup would look even more outrageous if it didn't have to comply to rules. Think of DTM racing..
But internet experts know better because they take their cars to a track once in awhile.

I can tell pretty much by just looking at something if it will function for its intended purpose and it's build quality..

So show me your facts on aero that you claim to have or are they "alternative facts"...

So exactly how much downforce is that [marketing hype] boy racer wing generating and at what speed does that wing start creating it ?
Tell me about the relationship between the rear defuser and the boy racer wing... Oh yeah the cosmetic rear defuser is what I'm talking about you know the one on your car.

With all due respect, Haters gotta hate...

I prefer to force feed cooling air into my car when the temps in So. Cal. are in the triple digits while traveling at 30-110 mph speeds

Last edited by ronin amg; 01-28-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes as with all manufactures play catch up with the aftermarket and racing... I'll take my pre-owned 3,500mi. $120K out the door GTS with aftermarket aero under $6K added then the price of a new GTR...
Function over form, it seems Mercedes has a grasp on that a few years later..
Old 01-28-2018, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Ronin,
You are pretty thin skinned for someone that continuously ridicules other posters mods or opinions. You want to carve canyons, others want to go sub 10 in the quarter.
No reason to attack anyone that disagrees with you...
The following 4 users liked this post by Wolfman:
canucklehead (01-31-2018), Fame Douglas (01-30-2018), soulsea (01-28-2018), thebishman (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 12:36 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Very nice! Love that front end splitter. Very aggressive! I can imagine the price I paid almost 8k for mine (front and rear) from Renntech, but hot damn they're awesome! (and cracked haha)

Your car is really nice.
ronin amg (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Ronin,
You are pretty thin skinned for someone that continuously ridicules other posters mods or opinions. You want to carve canyons, others want to go sub 10 in the quarter.
No reason to attack anyone that disagrees with you...
When I see wheels that will break due to too low a tire sidewall I speak out and maybe inform others to not make the same mistake. As for taking a sports car and drag racing I say buy a drag racer and drag race if that's your thing but why screw up a perfectly nice sports car and make it unreliable....

I'll keep my opinions to myself from now on and let you guys play, it makes me smile..
Old 01-28-2018, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
When I see wheels that will break due to too low a tire sidewall I speak out and maybe inform others to not make the same mistake. As for taking a sports car and drag racing I say buy a drag racer and drag race if that's your thing but why screw up a perfectly nice sports car and make it unreliable....

I'll keep my opinions to myself from now on and let you guys play, it makes me smile..

Another alternative would be posting your own experiences with and without the carbon fiber adds.

Can you get to the MB Track Package to log the key metrics.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I could post pictures of gravel chips in the paint before installing them but all any GTS owner has to do is look at their own car..now imagine something in place to prevent them and still look tasteful..
If I wanted to have them as an aero aid I would install a rubber apron to keep the air trapped as it flows rearward but without a real functional diffuser it makes no sense...

I'm not selling anything or do I need to justify my purchases of products with empirical data, I know from past experience what will work in the real world.
Mercedes opened up their front bumper / splitter design for a reason... increase airflow to the heat exchangers.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:28 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL350
I have no opinion on the performance benefits of tacked-on carbon. But the GTS is a perfect design. Adding to it takes away from that design. The GTS looks better than the GTR, and even the GTC. That's why I rushed out and bought a leftover GTS from 2017.

Having tacky carbon add-ons to improve your canyon lap times wouldn't be worth it to me. But I'm not one to knock another man's hustle.
kumizi (01-30-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by McGG
I have no opinion on the performance benefits of tacked-on carbon. But the GTS is a perfect design. Adding to it takes away from that design. The GTS looks better than the GTR, and even the GTC. That's why I rushed out and bought a leftover GTS from 2017.

Having tacky carbon add-ons to improve your canyon lap times wouldn't be worth it to me. But I'm not one to knock another man's hustle.
There are purists of every car make out there and when someone comes and calls a functional pice of aero tacky just proves to me that the person is a purist, can't afford to do the upgrade or just ignorant [aka stupid] or all of the above..
No one I know rushes out to buy the inferior product...yeah the 2017 GTS is inferior to the 2018 GTR but you can make it even better if you want performance..
Old 01-28-2018, 04:28 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
I also prefer the car without the aero pieces. I do apreciate that the OP shared his experience and review of the product though. Thank you Ronin. I have actually been wondering what these world look like on a darker color car. You have a nice e63s wagon btw!
Old 01-28-2018, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bone stock GT vs GTS Edition 1, now why would Mercedes improve upon a perfect car, could it be better performance or just boy racer curb appeal ?

Old 01-28-2018, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by guynamedsean
I also prefer the car without the aero pieces. I do apreciate that the OP shared his experience and review of the product though. Thank you Ronin. I have actually been wondering what these world look like on a darker color car. You have a nice e63s wagon btw!
Why thank you for noticing

I want to make my car mine and with my experience I know I'm doing things right for my driving enjoyment...
Fast but not unreliable, handling but not twitchy and better heat exchanger efficiency.
I've also tinted my windows but I'm sure someone will claim I have reduced the transparency of it's original design concept..
Old 01-28-2018, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Bone stock GT vs GTS Edition 1, now why would Mercedes improve upon a perfect car, could it be better performance or just boy racer curb appeal ?

I am unsure what you mean. Why would Mercedes improve the older GTS Edition 1 with the newer GT? or many other non-ED1's? The actual air intakes are the same on these models. The aero bits looks very nice but I look at these as largely cosmetic in the US

Last edited by Wolfman; 01-28-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
You mean why would Mercedes improve the older GTS Edition 1 with the newer GT? or many other non-ED1's? The actual air intakes are the same on these models.
Really ?
Maybe take another look at the splitter again and take note of the intake surround and the lower front wheel arch flair ya know those needed performance improvements to the original design..

I'm not telling anyone to go out and buy something but you guys seem to need to make your point and fail at it with ease..
Why not just keep your opinions to yourself and move along, there is nothing for you to see here....

Last edited by ronin amg; 01-28-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by soulsea

I actually find that splitter and side skirt combination very unattactive (to put it politely) and anathema to the design language of the vehicle, which at its core is based on beautiful curved design. Unless you were a track rat and those were data backed functional aero pieces to improve performance, they imho ruin the design of the car and look like like out of place cheap add ons.
When a fool starts off a conversation like this one can only wonder why ?
Could it be just a fool with too much money wanting to be noticed since he has his future acquisitions listed on his profile. That is laughable..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Renntech Front splitter..