Trickel charger for AMG GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 10:39 AM
SM1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GTS Edition 1
Trickel charger for AMG GTS

Hi I know this subject has been discussed before, however I feel I need clarification on this. I have just spoken to my local Mercedes dealer who has said that you cant use a trickle charger for the GTS because the charger cant detect when the lithium battery is charged?? Surely this cant be true, these are the sort of car that is likely to sit in the garage throughout the winter.
Also does anybody know how long you can leave these lithium batteries without them going flat/
Thanks
Steve
Old 07-28-2017, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Lithium battery

Originally Posted by SM1
Hi I know this subject has been discussed before, however I feel I need clarification on this. I have just spoken to my local Mercedes dealer who has said that you cant use a trickle charger for the GTS because the charger cant detect when the lithium battery is charged?? Surely this cant be true, these are the sort of car that is likely to sit in the garage throughout the winter.
Also does anybody know how long you can leave these lithium batteries without them going flat/
Thanks
Steve
If you disconnect the lithium from the vehicle they can go a long time before they discharge for as much as 5-6 months. I had mine in storage for over 3 months and no problem when I reconnected it.
If it's connected to the car I've heard it's different story.

The factory battery charger supplied with my GTS is good for lead acid and LiFePo2 batteries. Your dealer maybe referring to other chargers other than those specifically designed for the AMG GTS Lithium batteries.
Jimmy
Old 08-06-2017, 06:25 PM
SM1

Mercedes GTS Edition 1
I have spoken to my local Mercedes dealer who has said that the battery should not be trickle charged, in fact they went as far to say that it could harm the electrics because the charger is unable to tell if when the lithium battery is charged. They have said that it is possible to keep the battery connected to the car for up to 6 months with out it going flat. It will be interesting to see how I get on during the winter, my intention is to start the at least once a month
Old 08-06-2017, 06:57 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
I have a gt not gts. The car actually came with some sort of trickle charger. Does the gt have a different battery?
Old 08-06-2017, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trickel charger for Lithium Battery

Originally Posted by SM1
I have spoken to my local Mercedes dealer who has said that the battery should not be trickle charged, in fact they went as far to say that it could harm the electrics because the charger is unable to tell if when the lithium battery is charged. They have said that it is possible to keep the battery connected to the car for up to 6 months with out it going flat. It will be interesting to see how I get on during the winter, my intention is to start the at least once a month
Did your car come with a factory trickle charger which is a plug in pig tail in the trunk? Where did your dealer get the information they're telling you?
I would ask them why did AMG include a trickle charger in the vehicle if it would potentially damage the electrical system. Like I said in my previous post, the charger included is rated for Lithium batteries.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:42 AM
SM1

Mercedes GTS Edition 1
Mine hasn't got any a connection in the boot, my car is a UK car and is an edition 1
I wouldn't think however this would make any difference? The information I was given was from a main dealer after they had spoken to a technician that actually works on these cars! I find the whole thing confusing, but they were adamant that I shouldn't use a trickle charger, is there anyone out who has had their GT/GTS on trickle charge for a few weeks without any issues? There seems to be so much conflicting information, how difficult can it be.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 142 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 AMG GT-S | 2016 Ferrari F12
I had mine on a charger for 1 month. No issues
The following users liked this post:
Shawn Robbins (03-03-2020)
Old 08-07-2017, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SM1
Mine hasn't got any a connection in the boot, my car is a UK car and is an edition 1
I wouldn't think however this would make any difference? The information I was given was from a main dealer after they had spoken to a technician that actually works on these cars! I find the whole thing confusing, but they were adamant that I shouldn't use a trickle charger, is there anyone out who has had their GT/GTS on trickle charge for a few weeks without any issues? There seems to be so much conflicting information, how difficult can it be.
Since your car hasn't been wired for the trickle charger and you don't have the proper lithium charger from AMG your dealer is correct in his mind. But I wouldn't make conclusions based on the information from a dealer.
I've had mine for over a year and it's been on the charger with no negative effect much of that time.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 CLS63
My GTS was in the garage for 5 months w out touching it. No problems.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 144 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GT-S, AMG C43, GLK350, Nissan GT-R, 718 Cayman
From the US 2016 AMG GTS owner's manual:

Trickle charging the on-board electrical
system battery

The battery may drain if the vehicle is left stationary
for long periods. In this case, MercedesBenz
recommends attaching the trickle charger
to the 12 V socket in the cargo compartment. A
trickle charger can be obtained from an authorized
Mercedes-Benz Center, forexample.

X Switch the ignition off.
X Open the tailgate.
X Connect the cable provided in the cargo compartment
to the trickle charger.
X Connect the trickle charger to 12 V socket:.
Consult the manufacturer's operating instructions
on how to do so.
The tailgate can be closed, even if a trickle
charger is connected. Make sure that the connector
for both the connector cables is outside
of the vehicle.
The connector can then separate if the vehicle is
moved, even if you forget to disconnect the connector
cables. This prevents damaging the
cables and the trickle charger.
A trickle charger connected to 12 V socket :
only maintains the current charge level of the
vehicle's electrical system battery. If the vehicle's
electrical system battery is discharged, it
needs to be charged with a battery charger.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GTS Edition 1
I'm using this charger:
Amazon Amazon

Works perfectly and designed for lithium ion batteries. Most exotic car companies use/recommend cTek.
Shawn Robbins (03-03-2020)
Old 08-21-2017, 11:01 AM
SM1

Mercedes GTS Edition 1
I think because my car doesn't have the charging connection in the boot (uk)
and some people can leave their cars for a few months without the battery going flat (my porsche would have gone flat within 6) weeks) I am not going to get a charger, time will tell
Old 07-19-2020, 02:04 AM

AMG GTS
Can I replace my AMG GTS battery with a lead acid battery as I cannot afford 2449 euros for a lithium battery. Secondly what is the separate small wire for on the negative terminal of the original battery. All help on this matter appreciated
Old 07-19-2020, 08:00 AM

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts
2016 gts
the car can sit without a charge but it is best to keep on a trickle charge. Up here in buffalo NY the car sits sometimes for 7 months.The charger prolongs the life of battery. My 2016 gts shipped with a charger ,now my 2020 gtr shipped with charger.
Must be a lithium capable one or could damage battery.
Btw I have a brand new Mercedes one in box never used for $100. If anybody needs one. Reply to mxz7000@aol.com

Jason (07-19-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 11:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
AMG GTS (gone - lemon)
Originally Posted by Tinknocker
the car can sit without a charge but it is best to keep on a trickle charge. Up here in buffalo NY the car sits sometimes for 7 months.The charger prolongs the life of battery. My 2016 gts shipped with a charger ,now my 2020 gtr shipped with charger.
Must be a lithium capable one or could damage battery.
Btw I have a brand new Mercedes one in box never used for $100. If anybody needs one. Reply to mxz7000@aol.com

That looks very silimar to the CTEK brand one. Could you see if it says CTEK on it somewhere? That would confirm that one is ok to use.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:31 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
That looks very silimar to the CTEK brand one. Could you see if it says CTEK on it somewhere? That would confirm that one is ok to use.
It is ctek for sure. I'm just wondering which model... Anyone know?
Jason (07-19-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 11:51 AM

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts
2016 gts
No where on charger it says ctek .Only Mercedes. I tried the ctek brand that I use on Porsche and zo6 and the light was flickering yellow so I unplugged it quickly. Lithium battery require a different charger.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
AMG GTS (gone - lemon)
Originally Posted by Tinknocker
No where on charger it says ctek .Only Mercedes. I tried the ctek brand that I use on Porsche and zo6 and the light was flickering yellow so I unplugged it quickly. Lithium battery require a different charger.

CTEK makes one specifically for Lithium batteries. I’d be more interested in that one because I can hook the connector on the battery at the front of the car rather than plugging in the trunk and running an extension to the back of the garage.
Attached Thumbnails Trickel charger for AMG GTS-e6232477-eb05-4527-8-d93-8-a3-c6-d33295-f.jpg  
Old 07-19-2020, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 156 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
CTEK makes one specifically for Lithium batteries. I’d be more interested in that one because I can hook the connector on the battery at the front of the car rather than plugging in the trunk and running an extension to the back of the garage.
the MB charger is a CTek. BTW, the cables are interchangeable. Mine came with a 12v plug in and the ring terminated cables. You can hook it up front if you would like . The rear boot attachment is tool-less and a dirt free environment so we non-mechanic types can keep our hands clean and not dirty the interior.
The following 2 users liked this post by thecutter64:
Jason (07-19-2020), thebishman (07-19-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
The manual for the ‘MB’ (CTEK) charger states that you just have to push and hold a specific button to ‘tell’ the charger it is working with a Li ion battery.
Jason (07-21-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 06:23 PM

Received 191 Likes on 147 Posts
/////PRO
Anybody needs one, I have one for sale, posting a thread soon!
Old 07-19-2020, 06:33 PM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Mark Holden
Can I replace my AMG GTS battery with a lead acid battery as I cannot afford 2449 euros for a lithium battery. Secondly what is the separate small wire for on the negative terminal of the original battery. All help on this matter appreciated
I'm guessing yes. $200 AGM battery should work fine if it fits.

Dont hold me to it.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:49 PM

Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 AMG GTS

I have the same one, it stops charging if the battery is at full charge, and its designed for Lithium batteries, works fine. I used mine when flashing the ECU Tune, and use it when I'm away for pre-longed periods of time, no issues. The MB branded one looks suspiciously similar

I have the cigarette lighter adaptor so you can just plug it into the trunk socket.
Jason (07-21-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 12:23 AM

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG GTS, Ford Raptor and Tesla Model 3 dual motor
How do you know if its for a lithium battery? I have a Mercedes one my neighbor gave me from either his SL63 or ML63 and it seems to work just fine on my car.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:44 AM

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG GTS, Ford Raptor and Tesla Model 3 dual motor

This is the I got

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trickel charger for AMG GTS