Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > AMG GT
AMG GT wheels and issues >

AMG GT wheels and issues

Notices
AMG GT The GT/GT S is the second sports car developed entirely in-house by Mercedes-AMG. Its front mid-engine design with a rear transaxle, the use of aluminium lightweight construction and its newly developed AMG 4.0-liter V8 biturbo engine underscores the hallmark of AMG driving performance.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMG GT wheels and issues

 
Old 07-10-2019, 06:38 PM
  #1  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
ZephyrAMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Relocated
Posts: 3,948
Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
AMG GT wheels and issues

As far as stock wheels with the GT vs. other performance wheels, are you guys having any fractures or finish issues? I have the light weight wheel and can see how AMG designed them to be scooped out spokes but the black finish is getting destroyed.




Last edited by ZephyrAMG; 07-10-2019 at 06:42 PM.
ZephyrAMG is online now  
Old 07-10-2019, 10:08 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 1,613
Received 315 Likes on 218 Posts
‘18 GT R; ‘17 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription; ‘14 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife)
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG View Post
As far as stock wheels with the GT vs. other performance wheels, are you guys having any fractures or finish issues? I have the light weight wheel and can see how AMG designed them to be scooped out spokes but the black finish is getting destroyed.



I know that at least one owner in the UK had his wheels replaced under warranty due to the finish coming off. If you see ‘flakes’ coming off the wheel versus simple small spots from impacts you may have a case.
Have you shown it to the dealership yet?
thebishman is online now  
Old 07-11-2019, 01:04 AM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
ZephyrAMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Relocated
Posts: 3,948
Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I will be inquiring about them to the dealer. Interesting about the UK owner. Oem wheels are supposed to be very strong. Im not sure if they are sourced out to another vendor. Curious if there there has been any catastrophic fractures.
ZephyrAMG is online now  
Old 07-11-2019, 09:00 AM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 101
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
GTR
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG View Post
As far as stock wheels with the GT vs. other performance wheels, are you guys having any fractures or finish issues? I have the light weight wheel and can see how AMG designed them to be scooped out spokes but the black finish is getting destroyed.



Do you track this car on a regular basis?
MG1422 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:23 AM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 1,613
Received 315 Likes on 218 Posts
‘18 GT R; ‘17 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription; ‘14 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife)
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG View Post
I will be inquiring about them to the dealer. Interesting about the UK owner. Oem wheels are supposed to be very strong. Im not sure if they are sourced out to another vendor. Curious if there there has been any catastrophic fractures.
The wheels themselves are very strong, and light of course. The paint finish? Maybe not so much.

I have the base ‘Titanium’ coloured OEM wheels so no issues there at all even with track usage.

Bish
thebishman is online now  
Old 07-11-2019, 04:46 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
MalibuScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Santa Monica Mountains
Posts: 390
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts
2018 GT
I must be too old. All these blackened out wheels and grilles basically hide the details. I can't see anything. That's why I prefer the non murdered look. I'd rather see the details than have them be hidden from view. Of course, the blacked-out wheels are all the rage right now, so a lot of people must like what I think is a poor design feature.

Last edited by MalibuScott; 07-11-2019 at 04:49 PM.
MalibuScott is online now  
Old 07-11-2019, 04:58 PM
  #7  
Member
 
Orcbolg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 189
Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts
AMG GT S
Originally Posted by MalibuScott View Post
I must be too old. All these blackened out wheels and grilles basically hide the details. I can't see anything. That's why I prefer the non murdered look. I'd rather see the details than have them be hidden from view. Of course, the blacked-out wheels are all the rage right now, so a lot of people must like what I think is a poor design feature.

I definitely can't relate. To me, silver, and especially chrome, look tacky and cheap. The first thing I do to every vehicle I own is blackout any and all silver/chrome trim.
Orcbolg is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Orcbolg:
cward2 (07-12-2019), ZephyrAMG (07-11-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 02:42 PM
  #8  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 10
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 550
Originally Posted by Orcbolg View Post
I definitely can't relate. To me, silver, and especially chrome, look tacky and cheap. The first thing I do to every vehicle I own is blackout any and all silver/chrome trim.
Yep. Also hides the brake dust better! LOL.
DrWilly is online now  
Old 07-13-2019, 10:20 PM
  #9  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 828
Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
Lexus Rx350
Originally Posted by DrWilly View Post
Yep. Also hides the brake dust better! LOL.

Not really. The black wheels turn brown with brake dust. The matte are better than gloss. The black gloss look good right after being cleaned. Drive around the block and they look terrible with brake dust.
thecutter64 is online now  
Old 07-13-2019, 11:27 PM
  #10  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 10
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 550
Originally Posted by thecutter64 View Post
Not really. The black wheels turn brown with brake dust. The matte are better than gloss. The black gloss look good right after being cleaned. Drive around the block and they look terrible with brake dust.
Darn!
DrWilly is online now  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG GT wheels and issues


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: