Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > AMG GT
AMG GT wheels and issues >

AMG GT wheels and issues

Notices
AMG GT The GT/GT S is the second sports car developed entirely in-house by Mercedes-AMG. Its front mid-engine design with a rear transaxle, the use of aluminium lightweight construction and its newly developed AMG 4.0-liter V8 biturbo engine underscores the hallmark of AMG driving performance.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMG GT wheels and issues

Old 07-10-2019, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
AMG GT wheels and issues

As far as stock wheels with the GT vs. other performance wheels, are you guys having any fractures or finish issues? I have the light weight wheel and can see how AMG designed them to be scooped out spokes but the black finish is getting destroyed.

Last edited by ZephyrAMG; 07-10-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 315 Likes on 218 Posts
‘18 GT R; ‘17 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription; ‘14 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife)
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG View Post
As far as stock wheels with the GT vs. other performance wheels, are you guys having any fractures or finish issues? I have the light weight wheel and can see how AMG designed them to be scooped out spokes but the black finish is getting destroyed.

I know that at least one owner in the UK had his wheels replaced under warranty due to the finish coming off. If you see ‘flakes’ coming off the wheel versus simple small spots from impacts you may have a case.
Have you shown it to the dealership yet?
Old 07-11-2019, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I will be inquiring about them to the dealer. Interesting about the UK owner. Oem wheels are supposed to be very strong. Im not sure if they are sourced out to another vendor. Curious if there there has been any catastrophic fractures.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:00 AM

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
GTR

Do you track this car on a regular basis?
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 315 Likes on 218 Posts
‘18 GT R; ‘17 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription; ‘14 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife)
I will be inquiring about them to the dealer. Interesting about the UK owner. Oem wheels are supposed to be very strong. Im not sure if they are sourced out to another vendor. Curious if there there has been any catastrophic fractures.
The wheels themselves are very strong, and light of course. The paint finish? Maybe not so much.

I have the base ‘Titanium’ coloured OEM wheels so no issues there at all even with track usage.

Bish
Old 07-11-2019, 04:46 PM

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts
2018 GT
I must be too old. All these blackened out wheels and grilles basically hide the details. I can't see anything. That's why I prefer the non murdered look. I'd rather see the details than have them be hidden from view. Of course, the blacked-out wheels are all the rage right now, so a lot of people must like what I think is a poor design feature.

Last edited by MalibuScott; 07-11-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:58 PM

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts
AMG GT S
Originally Posted by MalibuScott View Post
I must be too old. All these blackened out wheels and grilles basically hide the details. I can't see anything. That's why I prefer the non murdered look. I'd rather see the details than have them be hidden from view. Of course, the blacked-out wheels are all the rage right now, so a lot of people must like what I think is a poor design feature.

I definitely can't relate. To me, silver, and especially chrome, look tacky and cheap. The first thing I do to every vehicle I own is blackout any and all silver/chrome trim.
The following 2 users liked this post by Orcbolg:
cward2 (07-12-2019), ZephyrAMG (07-11-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 550
Originally Posted by Orcbolg View Post
I definitely can't relate. To me, silver, and especially chrome, look tacky and cheap. The first thing I do to every vehicle I own is blackout any and all silver/chrome trim.
Yep. Also hides the brake dust better! LOL.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:20 PM

Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
Lexus Rx350
Originally Posted by DrWilly View Post
Yep. Also hides the brake dust better! LOL.

Not really. The black wheels turn brown with brake dust. The matte are better than gloss. The black gloss look good right after being cleaned. Drive around the block and they look terrible with brake dust.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 550
Originally Posted by thecutter64 View Post
Not really. The black wheels turn brown with brake dust. The matte are better than gloss. The black gloss look good right after being cleaned. Drive around the block and they look terrible with brake dust.
Darn!