Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

mikbox and t730

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mikbox and t730

Has anyone gotten a motorola t730 to work with mikbox? My friend's t730 (Verizon CDMA) can connect but when placing a call he can hear you but you cannot hear him.

I told him it's probably his phone (old and dropped a few times), but just wanted some confirmation that it would work. Also comment if you tried T720

Actually I have been wondering in general if anyone has had any problems with any p2k phones? I think Mikbox is a great product (and Mik is a cool guy to do business with) and it would be nice to share with everyone the success (or the any few failure) you have had with it.

Last edited by superflysocal; 03-22-2005 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:55 PM

2011 E350
V60 with Mikbox

I have a V60 CDMA with a Timeport/Mikbox combo and it works like a charm.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by superflysocal
Has anyone gotten a motorola t730 to work with mikbox? My friend's t730 (Verizon CDMA) can connect but when placing a call he can hear you but you cannot hear him.

I told him it's probably his phone (old and dropped a few times), but just wanted some confirmation that it would work. Also comment if you tried T720

Actually I have been wondering in general if anyone has had any problems with any p2k phones? I think Mikbox is a great product (and Mik is a cool guy to do business with) and it would be nice to share with everyone the success (or the any few failure) you have had with it.
There are several things to look for.

Cell phones transmit on one frequency and receive on another. There is a problem with his transmit frequency. If your friend has the same problem when his phone is not connected to his car, then it is most likely his phone. If it only happens when connected to his car, then it may be a connection; all of them should be checked to be sure there are no bent pins, and that they are firmly seated. This includes antenna connections.

Another possible problem is the microphone or mike connections in the car - likely not a problem if it worked before the MikBox was installed.

The problem is not likely to be the type of phone. It is a P2K, and should work.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Skylaw
There are several things to look for.

Cell phones transmit on one frequency and receive on another. There is a problem with his transmit frequency. If your friend has the same problem when his phone is not connected to his car, then it is most likely his phone. If it only happens when connected to his car, then it may be a connection; all of them should be checked to be sure there are no bent pins, and that they are firmly seated. This includes antenna connections.

Another possible problem is the microphone or mike connections in the car - likely not a problem if it worked before the MikBox was installed.

The problem is not likely to be the type of phone. It is a P2K, and should work.
His phone has the same problem in his car as mine (both mikbox with timeport pse). My v60s and v60i works fully in both his car and mine. Thus it's not the setup. It's either bad connection on his phone or T730 incompatibilty. However, like you said, it's p2k, it should work...so i justed wanted some confirmation out there that it works from somebody before he goes out and get a replacement t730 (I know, there are many other options out right now...v710, v265, but it's a long story).
Old 03-31-2005, 10:33 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 S500
Mixbox installation in Los Angeles area

Superflysocal,

Are you in southern California? I'm looking for an experienced installer of Mikboxes in the LA area. Can you recommend one? Did you do your own?
Old 04-01-2005, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by hongalan
Superflysocal,

Are you in southern California? I'm looking for an experienced installer of Mikboxes in the LA area. Can you recommend one? Did you do your own?
It's easy to do yourself, if you want to try. See my install in a 2000 S500 at http://forums.mbnz.org/publications/pub.asp?id=317 - the locations of the electronics in your car may be slightly different, but the phone bulletins referenced in the writeup will help you. If you don't want to do it yourself, the article and MIK's instructions should allow any competent audio system installer to do it.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:39 AM

i am not in the socal area anymore. But skylaw is right. It is pretty easy especially if you already have a factory car kit and just want to install the mikbox to be able to use any motorola phone. If you are starting from scratch (like I did with no PSE preinstalled), it is a little trickier, especially with d2b wiring.
Definitely familiar yourself with the phone bulletin for your car.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 S500
Smile I'll Try It

Skylaw and superflysocal,

Thank you for your responses. I am encouraged to try the installation by myself. I have an operating system already installed and have been using it for over a year on an ATT TDMA Timeport. I switched to Cingular's GSM system with their V551 phone. From what I have read in Skylaw's posting, my installation should be easier than his. I will visit Paul's website before attemting this. Skylaw's photos and guidance will be very helpful. I'll let you know how things turns out.