Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Is there some secret....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is there some secret....

To getting any responses here? Having been a long time member of roadfly for my BMWs, I grew accustomed to the high degree of interaction on that board. People here don't really seem to help out much. Tons of questions posted which never get a single response - for weeks.

Is there another site that has more activity? I used to get a great deal of help on Roadfly - as well as helping out others. So far, here hasn't been a great deal of help. I'm looking for the same spirit of support for my MB that I used to get with my BMWs.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Lets see. Would this be of any help to you?

FAQ link

Because its probably been already answered numerous times.

Old 04-26-2005, 08:47 AM

Cool Ummmm, No

OK - let me be more clear.

1) I've searched this (as well as any number of other) form(s). I've seen lots of info around the MLs and W203s but haven't found the data specific to the W208 (US Spec) and COMAND (US Spec).

2) I've seen lots of "talk to Steve at MBenzNL", but have had less than marginal success in getting satisfactory answers. He appears to be quite busy at the moment and I'm not getting much in the way of email responses (over the past 3 weeks).

3) I haven't found such data in stickies, FAQs or other assorted locations. To be clear about what I mean; I haven't found conclusive information

The point I was trying to make is that if you happen to be a roadfly member and post there you almost always get a response - rather quickly. If you've somehow missed a thread which contains the data you're looking for, people generally very helpfully point you toward that thread. Here, I see a lot of people simply getting ignored. Perhaps roadfly is simply a more mature site with more contributors. It's unfortunate that the MB forum there is rather new, and not active at all.

I'm trying to find someplace like that. It's interesting that this seems to be the case. There seem to be far more BMW enthusiast sites with far more collaboration than for MB. There seem to be equally far more BMW aftermarket vendors as well. Maybe somehow related? Weird.

Bottom line? At roadfly this thread would likely have resulted in at least 20 responses. Some of them critical, and an equal number asking how they could help rather than pointing me to a lame flash site.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
Dude...if Roadfly is so great....well...you now where I am going with this
Old 04-26-2005, 09:10 AM

Maybe you didn't read it

When I said that the MB forum there is new and not active, and that I was comparing here to the BMW forum? I wasn't throwing stones here. I'm trying to find information. However, you're making my point.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
Alright....fair enough

There are many topics and questions here which have been beaten to death so badly (if that makes any sense) that the majority of the members overlook the threads altogether. There are also many topics which answers might not be so readily available. The majority of the time, the member on this forum are extremely helpful and will do so in a timely fashion. I don't think that with your 6 posts (3 of them being in this thread) you are able to make any accurate assumptions about interaction on this forum. Give it some time...be patient. Patience, afterall, is a virtue.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by wmhjr
To getting any responses here? Having been a long time member of roadfly for my BMWs, I grew accustomed to the high degree of interaction on that board. People here don't really seem to help out much. Tons of questions posted which never get a single response - for weeks.

Is there another site that has more activity? I used to get a great deal of help on Roadfly - as well as helping out others. So far, here hasn't been a great deal of help. I'm looking for the same spirit of support for my MB that I used to get with my BMWs.
I had about just as bad of an experience as you did. The only reply i got is the as$hole moderator pointing me to a flash page about posting. Man...I didn't know fellow MB owners were this bad.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 2009, W115 Pullman & EQC
I would help if i could.. :-)
But i cant..(and this is true for many in this forum i guess).
/kim
Old 04-28-2005, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL

wmhjr got his response to his COMAND installation question, and a very good one, by Josh T. It took 5 days. Frankly, I don't think that's too awful, especially for the specific and thorough writeup he received.

First, I didn't have the answer to his question, so couldn't help. Second, after commuting and working for 14 hours a day and sometimes bringing work home, I don't always have the time or patience to type out an answer as extensive as Josh T's. When I do have time, I do some very lengthy and detailed writeups (where I am familiar with the subject - such as MikBox installations in the S-class, iPod integration with ice>link, and voice control upgrades in the S-class).

However, when someone spends the time that many of the regular forum contributors do with thorough and careful responses, I am very happy to get an answer - and 5 days isn't too long to wait for it. Some people have helped me wrestle with a problem for 2 weeks, and stayed engaged until we found an answer.

I have never paid a nickel to the folks who have given their time - but they do it and I'm grateful to them. I'm also grateful to see folks who, when new to the forum, had nothing but questions - but who have learned, and informed themselves, and are now very active and helpful contributors. This forum and Benzworld are super, and I'm happy they exist.

Last edited by Skylaw; 04-28-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
When I said that the MB forum there is new and not active, and that I was comparing here to the BMW forum? I wasn't throwing stones here. I'm trying to find information. However, you're making my point.
it may be extremely tough to get your response to what your looking for as everyone has already mentioned... already I can see your question was regarding something about a command unit...not too many people go modifying command units themselves, there are a few that try but other than that its a no go... you should also see who gives the most response and then send a PM... this is a pretty big forum, itseasy to not see posts... You talk about the ML forum being busy well its because its an easily modified MB... More to talk about...

And your right BMW does have more tuners... because it is marketed as the ultimate driving car, MB isnt marketed as a driving car... if you like as far as AMG or even the very one and only SLR they are designed for cruising while BM is more for driving if that makes sense, lol. If you dont get any responses start PMing the ones who look like they might know...
Old 05-10-2005, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
I totaly disagree!

I have been a member in this forum for about 3 months now and have posted about 90 times. all the members here are very helpful. they have help me get the correct CD changer for my car and how to install it, checked why my rain sensors were not working, mikbox on my car, where to get prices on parts if needed, this were all answered by forum members. we all help out members, and give them info on things that we need.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:36 AM

You guys are taking this wrong

I'm not throwing stones here. I have gotten some help, though frankly still never found the answers to all the questions from here. I went elsewhere.

My point was not whether or not people here were friendly or whether they after some period of time responded. It was really a comparison of different experiences at different sites. The fact is that questions like this get answered literally in hours, sometimes minutes, in the more established forums on roadfly. I was trying to determine whether that was related to the BMW vs MB contrast, or whether there was a similar "high volume and high interactivity" site.

The answer seems to be no. It seems as though for whatever reason, there just isn't as much action on the MB front as in the BMW - even for lower production models such as M-Series cars (which is what my previous vehicle was). I'm guessing now, but it's possible that this is largely due to two factors. One, that there is most certainly a different demographic group, and two, that fewer people are "tinkering". Plus, I'm also guessing that this site is far less established and there may be a lower user count.

So, to kill this thread: Please understand that I appreciate the help and comments (at least those that were appropriate ) I had already searched forums in detail, and found conflicting information. My expectations were that I'd find similar collaboration as when dealing with my M. After working on the MB and looking around, my expectations have been adjusted.

Originally Posted by Trekman
I have been a member in this forum for about 3 months now and have posted about 90 times. all the members here are very helpful. they have help me get the correct CD changer for my car and how to install it, checked why my rain sensors were not working, mikbox on my car, where to get prices on parts if needed, this were all answered by forum members. we all help out members, and give them info on things that we need.