Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Best aftermarket NAV?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best aftermarket NAV?

Hello,

Ran a search on this topic and didn't get a clear answer.

Is there a preferable aftermarket navigation system out there? If there isn't a hands down winner, what are some of the contenders?

Also, what features do they have? I'm mostly interested in DVD Navigation/playback, use of existing car features (CD changer, steering wheel control), iPod integration would be great as well as plugin existing phone (not MB phone). Given how I live in Boston I would also like a system that gets regular updates (please inform me as to what exactly constitutes regular also).

If there is already a post addressing these I would appreciate a redirection.

For either a CL600 or C32 AMG. C running out of warranty, CL has a couple years to go still.

Cheers
Old 05-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Almost a Member!

Oh, and in addition. Given how I am not well versed when it comes to current systems, it would be much appreciated if there would be responses mentioning other cool features that may be worthwhile.

Cheers
Old 05-07-2005, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
I am not sure if you want to know a aftermarket navi for your command or you want to replace the HU all together. If you want to included a phone intergrated to the system, the only one that I know, was the Alpine unit that can add a Alpine mobilehub and Alpine iPod into the HU. But the MobileHub is for the Nokia 6310i only. Unless you go Bluetooth or MikBox.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:38 PM

CLK430, CLK500, SL500
As far as aftermarket units go some of the best out there are made by Pioneer AVIC-N2 Kenwood DDX7015, and any of Alpine's units. Those all would replace your headunit keep in mind. PM me if you have any additional questions.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
I have installed the AVIC N1 in my ML55... if you would like to see it PM me as I am also in the boston area... I can show you first hand how it works and some of the cool features such as the different Vehicle dynamic sensors you can view... Or if you have more questions regarding installing either one of these in your vehciles
Old 05-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Almost a Member!

Thanks all!

I am looking to replace the whole unit. We didn't get the Command system b/c I had heard a lot of complaints. Phone is not a top priority but a nice to have. I have a Sanyo phone from Sprint PCS, the blue one with video and camera, not sure about model number.

I'll definitely PM some who offered offline assistance. Very much appreciated!

Cheers
Old 05-12-2005, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLE350 4MATIC, 2009 ML350 4matic, 2005 4maticWAGON (sold), A Pre-facelift W210(sold)
4get about hooking up your Sanyo PCS phone to the HU.
Go for a good unit based on features...

1. Pioneer AVIC-N2 is only one unit (plus the brain), all the others by Alpine and Kenwood are 2 seperate units (plus the brain). Oh, the only drawback with the Avic-N2 is that you can't watch dvd while in motion. I believe you can bypass this function in the Avic N1 and the other units. Also, because it is 1 unit, you will have to put in the navi dvd to map your trip each time you have to map a trip. With the other units, the navi-dvd resides in the 2nd unit permently and you can plot your trip without swappin any cds/dvds

Also, Eclipse makes a unit that is 2 DIN size that almost resembles the OEM navi, but its more costly than that the others, but if price is not the issue and U don't mind the 2 DIN size, I've heard that its the Best....

cheers!

Last edited by d2Benz; 05-13-2005 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:28 PM

2004 CLK500, 78 6.9,
I've had experience with Eclipse, Alpine, Pioneer, etc. Eclipse IS the best.

I, of course, have the Euro COMAND.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Almost a Member!

For those who mentioned the Eclipse.

What about it is better? Is it generally better in all fronts? Navigation accuracy/functionality is my first priority. Keep in mind I live in Boston, home of the Big Dig, meaning roads change very often. So frequent (relatively) updates are a BIG plus.

Cheers