Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

2004 SL 600 - Satellite, Phone, and MP3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Black CL55
2004 SL 600 - Satellite, Phone, and MP3

I have a 2004 SL 600 which I purchased new.

I would like to know how hard it would be to do upgrade the command system for the following items (In order of importance to me)

1. Add sirious satellite radio. The command unit does have the sat button; can I just add the factory based sirious and have it work through the head unit?

2. Upgrade the existing motorola phone (which I never turned on) to the V600. I'm willing to just purchase the benz phone to keep the car entirely factory. Is this just a matter of just changing the phone itself? My existing V600 with ATT will plug into the cradle. Do I just need to get the benz phone for it's different internal electronics and swap in my SIM card?

3. Play mp3 cd's in the command unit. Easy update? Software? Simple firmware? Not a big deal to spend a lot of money on.

4. Upgrade the unit to dvd navigation? Just curious on this one.

Thanks for the help! I did some searching and couldn't find these answers for a newer command unit.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
1. Add sirius satellite radio. The command unit does have the sat button; can I just add the factory based sirious and have it work through the head unit?
I have a 2004 SL500 and it has a SAT button. It is below the FM button. It will cost about $1,200 to add Sirius and the hidden antenna. Mercedes Sirius will work with the Command and instrument cluster.

2. Upgrade the existing motorola phone (which I never turned on) to the V600. I'm willing to just purchase the benz phone to keep the car entirely factory. Is this just a matter of just changing the phone itself? My existing V600 with ATT will plug into the cradle. Do I just need to get the benz phone for it's different internal electronics and swap in my SIM card?
Only the Mercedes V60 works in a 2004 SL. You can contact http://www.mikbox.com or http://www.mbenznl.com/ for a V600 upgrade. This company will have a bluetooth solution out soon. http://aardvarkmm.com/

3. Play mp3 cd's in the command unit. Easy update? Software? Simple firmware? Not a big deal to spend a lot of money on.
You have an aux port on the left side of glove box. It will play on Aux mode in command, but not sure if you can see it in the instrument cluster.

[QUOTE]
4. Upgrade the unit to dvd navigation? Just curious on this one.
[QUOTE]

Not possible with MBUSA. Need to contact http://www.mbenznl.com/ for a possible solution.

Last edited by tiggerfink; 05-29-2005 at 01:29 AM.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
upgrade to a dvd nav is not possible at the moment unless you have lots of money to spare. Something can be done then. mp3 playback is not possible on 04 sl's.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:10 AM

2005 Black CL55
Thanks all. Looks like it will be sirious and a mikbox for me!
Old 05-31-2005, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Sirius will do music requests.