Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Purchased an iPod adapter for my '02 ML55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ML55
Purchased an iPod adapter for my '02 ML55

Hey Folks,

I must say that I was tired of the substandard integration options for my iPod into my 2002 ML55 (I don't have a CD changer, but optically wired for one). The FM modulators provided poor sound quality and hard wire options were virtually non-existent (please correct me if I'm wrong on this).

I did some power searching over the weekend and after a 30 minute call with a tech person, purchased an adapter to almost fully integrate (see below) my iPod into my COMAND head unit!!! All without having to get behind the radio!!!

From what I understand, the non-integration is in the form of NOT being able to see the song name info on the COMAND unit screen, but if I run a wire and mount the iPod on an angle next to COMAND, the issue would become moot.

I'll receive the kit on Friday and will write back to tell you how the install and integration went. Wish me luck!

Sam
Old 06-21-2005, 01:31 AM

2002 ML320, 2000 E320 wagon far from stock
Hey Sam,

Is this for the dension ice>LINK? I was finally ready to buy one, but I can't find their kit for our Benz's anymore. Haven't got around to emailing anyone for info. Please keep us posted on your findings
Old 06-22-2005, 02:34 AM

2002 ML55
RoyBoy,

This is my writeup from my successful installation of the IceLink Plus for my 02 ML:

Okay folks, I've been to the other side of the mountain. I'm back a little bruised, a little battered, but happy I undertook the quest.

My iPod integration is COMPLETE and sounds like a million bucks.

The vehicle:
A 2002 ML55 that was factory prewired for a CD changer, but did not have the changer installed. This is a key point.

The gear:
I purchased a Dension optical converter called the IceLink Plus - version 2.0 from Neo Car Audio (www.neocaraudio.com) at a cost of $449 + $22 for 2nd day shipping. In addition, if you don't have a CD changer already installed, you must, repeat ... must, purchase an additional one-to-one optic coupler. It's the same one that you'd receive in the Neo kit, but only two come in the kit (no fault of theirs) and three are definitely needed. Ask them to send an additional one or visit your MB Parts Department because Radio Shack, nor the high end car audio installers (at least in northern Chicago) carry them. MB part number is 000-545-33-84 at a cost of $3.74 + tax.

The install:
Accessing the changer compartment in the trunk, you'll find two orange fibre optic lines (cased in a black protective conduit) leading to a black side-by-side connector with a green cap. Immediately near these lines is a shorter line with 3 shielded copper wires leading to a smaller black connector (no cap). The first set is for signal and the second set is for your ground, +12 volt, and iPod control line to (in that order).

I already had the Dension adapter on hand with the provided couplers already in place, ready to install. The intallation instructions in the kit are adequate. Next, I removed the black side-by-side connector from the optic lines. This is easy, simply use a small flat head screwdriver to snap up the grey rectangle on top of the connector and the optic lines easily slip out. Now, with the couplers already in place on the Dension unit, simply insert the MB optic lines into the other end of the individual couplers. The lines will insert into the coupler in only one direction so it's goof-proof. One thing to remember, red couples with white and white to red. Never red to red, or white to white anywhere in the installation. Once complete, your iPod's optic loop is half way done!

Now cut the three shielded copper wires from the little black connector. One at a time is preferable to prevent shorts. Reconnect the wiring to the blue, black and red lines (in that order) from the Dension adaptor. Of course, you can tap into these lines instead of cutting the connector, but I decided to cut it off with enough slack to reconnect it later, if necessary. Your iPod's power, charging and song memory connections are now complete.

NOTE: If you have a working MB CD changer already installed, skip the next three paragraphs.

This next procedure was the most difficult to REALIZE but fairly easy to undertake. Using this forum, and others, there was a major disconnect as to information where the unit and lines were. Make no mistake, on a 2002 ML55 (and others, I'm sure) the other end of the iPod's optic loop is UNDER THE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT! Since my ML came without an installed changer, I had to get under there, but wanted to avoid taking the passenger seat out to gain access to what became a very tight space. To do this, move the seat back and as high as allowed. Open the lock box drawer and take it out using the copper colored tab on the inboard drawer rail by tipping it up. The drawer should slide right out. Behind the drawer are additional orange optic lines. One with a coupler and another with a side-by-side connector exactly the same as what you originally found in the trunk. This pair is the other end of the trunk pair. If you want piece of mind, set a flashlight pointing into the connector and you should see a purple light on the other end in the trunk. Of course, you'll have to remove one of the just installed trunk couplers to be sure.

VERY IMPORTANT: Before proceeding, remember, DO NOT kink fibre optic lines.

Next, you must to tap into the closest, most easily accessable coupler with the paired lines that lead to the trunk. To do so, remove the paired side-by-side connecter (with green cap) as you did in the trunk and slide the red and white lines out. Next, using a mini flat head screwdriver, reach in an flip up one of the metal gates of the closest coupler (preferably the one with the longer line). What ever color you just removed from the coupler, reinsert the same color from the newly exposed lines leading to the trunk. Now attach the extra, purchased, coupler to the remaining trunk line and insert the last (same colored) line you removed from the coupler a second ago. You've just completed the optic loop which now consists of your iPod.

The start up:
Next, following the Dension instructions, make the remaining connections leading to your iPod, but don't connect the iPod yet. Having your radio's code in hand, disconnect the radio fuse for about 30 seconds and reinsert. Connect your iPod and start your car. Turn the radio on and hit CD twice. "Changer" will appear on your display along with an icon with multiple CDs. Read the iPod screen (yes it will look different but a firmware upgrade sometime in the future may correct this). Your iPod may ask you to turn off and restart your car. Do so and you're off and running.

NOTE: You will no longer be able to control your iPod from the click wheel but now through the COMAND unit.

The downside:
I found that when skipping songs, the song starts about 3 seconds in (again maybe a firmware fix in the future, but it also may be due to the long fibre optic distance the signal is now traveling or maybe COMAND doesn't respond as fast as I'd like.

As you may know, song titles on the COMAND screen are not yet available.

You can only have 6 accessable playlists up to 99 songs per list. I suggest short lists as skipping to the middle of a 99 song playlist is time consuming using the COMAND joystick, not to mention dangerous!

Although the provided trunk to console line is generously long enough, I haven't taken the time to hide wiring within the console as of yet, and probably won't. I don't want to mess with pulling things apart and possibly damaging something. I've hidden the lines pretty well thus far and am not overly concerned at present.

I wish it was a bit less expensive, but found it to be worth the money and exploration of my ML to get it right. Someone in the forum advised me (with good intentions, I'm sure) that the unit I know now to be under the seat, was high under the dash on the firewall. Although it wasn't there, I did find a switch that controlled my integrated radar detector - which I didn't even know existed - NICE BONUS!

The upside:
Great sound! No loss of signal as with modulators and you really get the fullness of the sound as it was meant to be heard from an iPod. It really is CD quality.

Since I use a pretty descent leather case, I decided not to mount and use the Dension cradle (as in the pics from a MB sedan installation) because I'd have to remove and replace the case each time.

Logan at Neo Car Audio was a gem to work with. If you decide to purchase from them, tell him Sam from Chicago sent you. FYI - I get nothing

Well, that's it. Good luck to all that undertake this project and feel free to contact me with any questions.

Sam

Disclaimer: Although I've provided step by step instructions of my successful experience and any precautions that I am aware of, please install at your own risk.