Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Buying from EBay?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 12:07 AM
RDD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 M3 coupe 6MT, 05 A6 (wife + kid's)
Buying from EBay?

Hey all,

I currently have these 2 big holes in my headrests which used to have Alpine 6.5" monitors hooked up to them. It seems all the wiring is still in place so all I really need are new monitors and have some audio shop hook it all up for me. The audio shop is quoting me $600 per monitor which seems comparable to most online shops, however, I've seen a few on ebay that go for $450 and sometimes as low as $350-400.

I told the guy at the audio shop this and he went into a long spiel about how the monitors from ebay were most likely "black market" or "off the boat" items and had no warranty. I agree there are risks involved in dealing with ebay so I'm wondering if the risk is worth the reward. From what I've heard, if a seller ships you a defective item and refuses to exchange it then sometimes the only option you have is to leave negative feedback.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
How much is peace of mind worth to you?
Do you have the time to pursue the matter further if something goes wrong?

It's all about individuals situations, honestly, I'd go with the brick and mortar store and spend the real cash on the real stuff. If something goes wrong, you can take care of it easily.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 911SC, 2001 E55, 1999 CLK430, 1993 190E 2.6
^^^ I would agree. It would be worth the extra money to be able to drive to the shop and say "I need these replaced" if something went wrong.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:13 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
How much is peace of mind worth to you?
Do you have the time to pursue the matter further if something goes wrong?

It's all about individuals situations, honestly, I'd go with the brick and mortar store and spend the real cash on the real stuff. If something goes wrong, you can take care of it easily.
no joke, he's right
Old 07-09-2005, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes
Don't take offense

I think that tvs in the headrest of a CLK is absurd. I can't even fit a pencil behind the seat. I guess it's a personal thing