Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Audio newbie question for all audio gurus.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 E55
Audio newbie question for all audio gurus.

I have searched the forum but have not found the exact answers that I'm looking for so please chime in.
I have a 2002 W210 with COMAND and Bose stereo system and I want to add an amp and some subs. I am thinking of going with a JL Audio 500/1 amp pushing 2 JL Audio 10 inchers in a sealed box. The question is can I tap the signal from one of the rear speakers and feed it into the amp without frying the stock amp? Do I need a LC6 or a JL Audio Cleansweep to get a clean signal to feed the amp? Should I wire the subs in series or parallel to get the best sound?
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:52 PM

1979 911SC, 2001 E55, 1999 CLK430, 1993 190E 2.6
Originally Posted by sudo4re
I have searched the forum but have not found the exact answers that I'm looking for so please chime in.
I have a 2002 W210 with COMAND and Bose stereo system and I want to add an amp and some subs. I am thinking of going with a JL Audio 500/1 amp pushing 2 JL Audio 10 inchers in a sealed box. The question is can I tap the signal from one of the rear speakers and feed it into the amp without frying the stock amp? Do I need a LC6 or a JL Audio Cleansweep to get a clean signal to feed the amp? Should I wire the subs in series or parallel to get the best sound?
Thanks in advance.
Wiring of the subs will depend on what ohm load you want to end up with. I would assume you will wire them up parallel since the 500/1 has the RIPS system allowing full power across the rails at all times.
You can tap into the rear wires, but I would recommend using a LC6 or Cleansweep or any other line level adaptor to knock the signal down a little.
Nice set up you have chosen.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:10 AM
Almost a Member!

02 E55
Thanks Barada, I have talked to several installers and most of them do not have anything good to say about the stock Bose system as far as ease of integration with aftermarket parts. I want nice and tight bass, not boomy so I will make a sealed box and have the subs fire thru the rear seats. I'm just afraid I will not be able to hear/feel them as the car is built like a vault.