Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Install help of Sirius in 2006 CLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2005 | 09:38 AM

Install help of Sirius in 2006 CLK

I"ve purchased the Sirius install kit, and although I"ve looked at some installations on this site, I want to be sure how to install in a 2006 CLK with the MOST fibre optics. I've got a factory CD Changer w/ Ipod installation, and NO NAV. Any help would be appreciated. Is there any issue where it gets connected on the MOST fibre optic ring? Thanks
Old 09-29-2005 | 03:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
It does make a difference where in the MOST ring specific components are placed.

For many cars the ring should be configured as follows, with light travelling in the direction of the '>':

HU/AGW (MOST master) > SOUND System (MOST component 1) > TELEPHONE (MOST component 2) > Satellite Digital Automotive Radio Service (SDARS, MOST component 3) > Compact Disk Changer (CDC, MOST Component 4) > HU/AGW

In your car there is a fiber optic connection point on the right side of the transmission tunnel. Peel back the carpet to reveal the bright orange fiber optic cables. They are connected with an AMP plastic holder so the light from one cable is directed to the receiver cable. Look at the splice for a second, and determine how to release the tang to open it.

If we assume you have NO Telephone, and No Sound System make two connections. First is connect the cable SDARS OUT > HU/CDC IN. Second connect HU OUT > SDARS IN.

The Sirius receiver needs connection to the antenna, power and MOST ring. The MOST cables are in the proper compartments from the factory IF you have NO phone, and NO Sound system. The power cable snaps into the MOST connector shell before you plug it into the receiver.

A dealer (or other person) with a Star Diagnosis System must use this path:

Control units > Information and communications > Audio, video navigation, and telematics> AGW- Audio Gateway > Retrofitting of MOST components > F2: Restart of optical ring > verify configuration of MOST components, then press F2: Actual configuration of MOST components > F2 continue > F3 Yes (to write the current configuration of the MOST components into the MOST master as the future specified configuration) > Erase fault memory.

Enjoy.
Old 09-29-2005 | 06:48 AM

I do have the HK Logic 7 sound system. So is anything different in the setup? Thanks for your help. How did you figure this stuff out?
Old 09-29-2005 | 09:44 AM

Also, where on the transmission tunnel do you pull back the carpet that you described? I thought that everything was installed in the trunk area and that's where the connections were made. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2005 | 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The MOST ring needs a little different setup for the HK (some people say that stands for Hissing und Krackling) sound system. Follow along carefully....The HK Sound system control module has a MOST connector with two orange fiber optic cables in it. If you look at the end of the cable you will see numbers moulded into the plastic connector housing. 1 on the left and 2 on the right. Remove the cable (labeled SOUND) from cavity 2. Careful here, as both cables are labeled SOUND. There should be two cables harnessed in the same leg as the sound MOST connector, They are labeled SOUND 1 and SOUND 2. You want to insert SOUND 2 into cavity 2 of the MOST cable housing.

Install the Sirius unit as described above, then remove the carpet from the right side of the transmission tunnel, the carpet is mostly vertical. Just on the passenger side of the shifter. There is no glue or screws. The fiber optic cables from the rear pass through here on the way to the Head Unit. Now there is just one change to make here. Connect the SDARS OUT > HU/CDC IN. Leave the other connections alone.
Careful with the fiber optic cables. They are made of glass. Don't bend them tighter than a 1 inch radius, kink them, or run them over sharp edges. Don't touch the end, or allow the glass to get dirty.

Oh, don't forget the fuse. It comes in the kit, a 7.5 amp fuse. It goes in the rear SAM fuse and relay module. Push it into slot number 16.

Took me about a half hour to figure it out with a laptop, a scope, and a photometer.

If you need to make a hole in the car body for the antenna, don't use a hole saw!!!! Use a Unibit or a chassis punch (mouser.com). Many people don't want a hole, and use a different antenna. Your kit might have a newer antenna, and no hole is required.

Have Fun!

Last edited by Moviela; 09-30-2005 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-19-2005 | 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Originally Posted by wsscott
I"ve purchased the Sirius install kit, and although I"ve looked at some installations on this site, I want to be sure how to install in a 2006 CLK with the MOST fibre optics. I've got a factory CD Changer w/ Ipod installation, and NO NAV. Any help would be appreciated. Is there any issue where it gets connected on the MOST fibre optic ring? Thanks
how much was the kit?
Old 10-19-2005 | 01:56 PM

The Sirius Tuner was about $455.00 discounted by the dealer by about $100, and the kit which consisted of a mounting bracket and some screws was $150.00. You do need that mounting kit. I initially bought the antenna and the splitter from the dealer, but returned it and bought the items from Crutchfield and paid about $65.00 total I believe. The antenna and splitter were about $100 more from the dealer. The main difference is the dealer's antenna is designed for mounting on the trunk lid, and I didn't want to do that, so I returned it. The other antenna is magnetic and you can mount it inside the trunk. You can only use the MB tuner and mounting kit because of the MOST optic fiber system.