Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Newer Phone Models for MOST bus?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 C350 4MATIC
Question Newer Phone Models for MOST bus?

I ran across an article (sorry he explicitly forbade reposting) from what appears to be a US based MB sales or service associate who recently went to training down in Jacksonville FL. One of the topics was that MB is going to undo it's exclusive relationship with Motorola and open up the phone interface for US sold vehicles.

This is supposed to have happened or will happen in the next few weeks. Does anyone have more details about this? What phones will be supported, what type of interface changes will be needed?

----
I have a 2006 C 350 4MATIC with Nav, Telematics and phone kit (UHI) (minus phone). SInce I couldn't use MIKBOX because my car is MOST bus I would need to look at the MHI kit. Since the dirt is still new on the car I am trying to avoid euro-modding my car (at least until I can put something really cool in there).
Old 10-12-2005, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
It has been talked about already. Search the forums. The new interface is bluetooth but the current phones will remain. A third party will take over the phone business.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 C350 4MATIC
Digging

Yea, I dug back on it and didn't find specifics about who that third party would be or what phones.

Figuring that this was recent information I had hoped that someone would have the scoop.

thanks
Sunny
Old 10-13-2005, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Tishers
Yea, I dug back on it and didn't find specifics about who that third party would be or what phones.

Figuring that this was recent information I had hoped that someone would have the scoop.

thanks
Sunny
Parrot has been working on the Mercedes Bluetooth for some time. When they found out the world market was something like 500,000 units they jumped. They do the BMW solution too.

There is no scoop as such because what you really want is for the BT solution to be as good as the cradle.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New phones include bluetooth.

Although this is for UHI Kits, I just found this thread on another board that might bring some good news. Look at the Bluetooth attachments at the end.

The first link is for a spanish forum with better pictures of the bluetooth adapters and the second is from the UK forum with the complete line of adaptable cradles.

Steve does the UHI kit and then (acording to these threads) you can attach whatever you need.

Use google translator or other to put the Spanish page in English.

http://www.mbfaq.com/foro/viewtopic.php?t=23871&start=0

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=19401
Old 10-14-2005, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
The thread at http://forums.mbnz.org/forums/forums...26148&posts=12 has some info on the new M-B 3rd party arrangement for phones. I'm stopping by a dealership today - the tech mech seemed to know a lot about the BT retrofit, but did not know exactly when they would be in stock (except Q4 '05).

I don't know how fully the M-B BT mod will integrate with COMAND - i.e., will it download the phone boook, messages, provide caller ID, etc -
Old 10-14-2005, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Skylaw
The thread at http://forums.mbnz.org/forums/forums...26148&posts=12 has some info on the new M-B 3rd party arrangement for phones. I'm stopping by a dealership today - the tech mech seemed to know a lot about the BT retrofit, but did not know exactly when they would be in stock (except Q4 '05).

I don't know how fully the M-B BT mod will integrate with COMAND - i.e., will it download the phone boook, messages, provide caller ID, etc -
BT without COMAND integration has been around for 2 years already thanks to the published public domain efforts of one member who made a CAN interface for his Parrot box.