Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Dietz 1440 + comand 2.0 = poor audio quality????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 02:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dietz 1440 + comand 2.0 = poor audio quality????

hello all,
i need some input from those familiar with the Dietz adapter. i recently installed my Dietz adapter to my Comand 2,0 and noticed that the sound quality is very poor. during video play, the sound is ok, not great, does not distort but the sound is very low comapred to the fm tuner audio level. i also noticed that if i play mp3 through the Dietz adapter, the sound is horrible, it sounds distorted, nothing like my ipod hardwired to my aux port. night and day. i didn't see any adjustments that i can make on the Dietz adapter, so what can be wrong. fyi, there is nothing wrong with my AV source because it sounds perfect in my bro's lexus. did i miss something???

i just bought another Dietz adapter for my other car, but until it arrives, i can not compared the two to see if my current unit is defective or what not. any input is welcomed.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by linuxfoo
hello all,
i need some input from those familiar with the Dietz adapter. i recently installed my Dietz adapter to my Comand 2,0 and noticed that the sound quality is very poor. during video play, the sound is ok, not great, does not distort but the sound is very low comapred to the fm tuner audio level. i also noticed that if i play mp3 through the Dietz adapter, the sound is horrible, it sounds distorted, nothing like my ipod hardwired to my aux port. night and day. i didn't see any adjustments that i can make on the Dietz adapter, so what can be wrong. fyi, there is nothing wrong with my AV source because it sounds perfect in my bro's lexus. did i miss something???

i just bought another Dietz adapter for my other car, but until it arrives, i can not compared the two to see if my current unit is defective or what not. any input is welcomed.
It's pretty ordinary.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:34 PM

hey benzmod, thanks for the reply. man if i knew the sound quality would this poor, i would never have bought the adapter.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
hey benzmod, thanks for the reply. man if i knew the sound quality would this poor, i would never have bought the adapter.
That is why next year we are launching a superior version. One that matches the full resolution of the screen.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:50 PM

2006 E320 CDI.SOLD..'02 CLK430 Cabrio(SOLD),08 Disco3..1996 FLH-TP, 2017 E300
Dietz okay

hello all,

Re: CLK430 COMAND 2.0 Euro w/Blaupunkt DVD player w/TV tuner

Linux...swapped out SteveNL's adapter with the Dietz 1440 SW 1.2.0, a couple of weeks ago...the only difference in sound quality I noticed was with the volume when using the TV tuner. I've only tried a cassette player thru the AUX and it appears to sound the same as SteveNL's did also. BTW, Dietz's customer service says that the Dietz has no volume adjustment.

I did have to adjust the contrast and brightness on the Dietz though...no pots on the newer version(1440a vs 14401.2.0)..had to jump the different pads with a micro jumper. All in all, got a decent picture and except for the volume, and noticed no difference in the quality of the audio.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:03 PM

hey thanks captret, yeah Dietz just sent me an email and also stated that the audio is just a pass through and has no adjustments. however, i found out what was causing my audio distorion, on the Dietz main connector, the ground wire was exposed, i guess they didn't crimp the connector properly and few strands were shorting on the audio signal. now that is fixed, i am in the process of trying to elimate my engine noise. are you getting engine noise in your setup as well?
Old 11-28-2005, 07:59 PM

2006 E320 CDI.SOLD..'02 CLK430 Cabrio(SOLD),08 Disco3..1996 FLH-TP, 2017 E300
hey thanks captret, yeah Dietz just sent me an email and also stated that the audio is just a pass through and has no adjustments. however, i found out what was causing my audio distorion, on the Dietz main connector, the ground wire was exposed, i guess they didn't crimp the connector properly and few strands were shorting on the audio signal. now that is fixed, i am in the process of trying to elimate my engine noise. are you getting engine noise in your setup as well?
"Linux" Guess I was lucky and got a good one (Dietz)...and no, I haven't noticed any engine noise with my unit.

Good Luck
Old 11-29-2005, 04:36 AM

just got everything to work, the engine noise is now gone. it was a bad ground wire. now my car is happy with its new xbox media center.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C300 Sport 4Matic
Did you get the Dietz I sold you to work too?
Old 11-30-2005, 01:56 AM

hey morph, whats going on, yeah i recieved yours yesterday and tested it. man the connectors were all hacked up lol at first it did not work, the screen just scrolled as if it was not syncing. however, after messing with it, i finally managed to get it working.

ps. the wiring pinout that i gave you were correct, i just took the adapter apart and put it back together and it started working again. maybe something inside was shorting out or what not. but thanks again!
Old 11-30-2005, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C300 Sport 4Matic
lol yea i must have moved those pins a million times...glad you got everything to work. I bought one from Sunil, hopefully it'll work better for me.