Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

XM or Cirius radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
XM or Cirius radio

Is anyone using either XM or Cirius radio in Canada?

One of the 2 rock radio stations in Calgary "changed format" to hip-hop dancy crap. Doh...
First I though there was something wrong with the radio in the coupy.

Last edited by VoyagerDude; 07-24-2002 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
I'm making a similar choice. Can anyone save me the research time and recommend Cirius or XM over the other? Also, any info on features would be nice.
I'm looking into getting one of the Jenson Cirius or Pioneer and Sony XM units. Any other brands tried/recomended? Any problems with the service?
Old 07-24-2002, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB has a relationship with Sirius. Sooner or later there will be MB headunits capable of receiving the Sirius service.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:55 PM

2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
It looks like neither XM nor Cirius is offered in Canada
So I was wondering if anyone in Canada can still receive their signal.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's probably like our satelite TV (Dish and DirecTV). Canadians can receive the signals but are not allowed to buy it so some violate the law and have someone they know in the U.S. order it and some go even further and hack them. Either way it keeps the RCMP busy. What you need is a hack for the satelite radios. Someone should have hacked it by now! I would go which ever one is easier to hack.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Guess that Canada is like all other third world countries.

Isn't XM available on many more h/us right now? I'd assume that the system that gets out there quicker, in larger #s, will stay for the long haul. Which means that I'd put money on XM being around longer.

Though, as long as Howard Stern is on the air, I won't have need for these. Anyone know what %age of owners end up not using it that much? I wonder what the buyer's remorse numbers are.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:58 PM

C230 Sport Coupe
I purchased Sirius radio for my father for Father's Day and he absolutely loves it. He listens to the golden oldies station and NPR the most of course (only Sirius has NPR), but I have listened to it a lot myself and it has made me decide to get it also. I'm going to get an FM Modulator to hook up to my stock Bose head unit. Oh by the way - I just saw that Kenwood is coming out with an FM modulator for Sirius in the latest Crutchfield catalogue. This is a much better option IMO than the Clarion one that is available now.

I've looked at the channels available on both and for me Sirius is much better all around. Of course everyone is different, but I think that both companies have staying power. It may take a while, but with the crap that is on the radio these days, surely they'll strike a chord with enough people to become stable, profit generating companies.

Oh yeah, Sirius has also been available nationwide since July 1st. It took a while, but it's better than never.

Last edited by o2bsurreal; 07-27-2002 at 10:02 PM.