Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Track names on display??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 CLK200 Cabrio & 04' Peugeot 307
Track names on display??

Hello,
I happened to see a photo on the net that shows the song name appearing on the display of the computer in the car... the car was a W209 btw.. I have a standard CD player + Cd changer with MP3 playback in my W209... either way(with mp3 CDs or regular Audio CDs), I keep seeing Track XX on the display instead of the name of the song... Do I have to configure this from the Audio system in the car or should I do something else while burning the CD??

Thanks
Old 02-21-2006, 11:08 AM

E55
The CD has to be encoded with the song names. Only one CD I own does this so far - but it is cool. I don't know why more CD's aren't encoded.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
All of the CDs I Burn using Real Player pull the song name and then display it on the CDs I have burned... The original CD that I used to copy the track from only displays "Track XX"

My best guess is that all of the CD/Song info is kept on the Original CD in certain "Fields" of the "Table of Contents". When I burn a CD, the "Track Name" field info is copied from the original field on the original CD, and written to a different, more commonly used field in the table of contents on the new CD.

My Guess is that the MB's Comand is looking for "Track Name" in a field that is not commonly used to store a Track Name, on Music CD's, not finding it & substituing "Track XX" as a stand-in. On the Home Made CDs it must recognize that we are inserting a "Data" type of CD, and is looking into the most commonly used field (by computers) to store the Track Name, and is able to see it and display it.

There IS a difference between Music, and Data CDs. Blank Music CDs have Music Royalties built into their price for distribution to Artists thru BMI/ASCAP, and Music CDs are encoded as such.

Why Comand is looking into the wrong field on a commercially available Music CD is a mystery, unless European Music CDs have Track Title stored in a different field than the US Music CDs.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 02-21-2006 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:54 PM

'06 CLK200 Cabrio & 04' Peugeot 307
hmmm.. that's wierd I don't have comand though... but I checked the confs. of the head unit but there isn't much to change... anyway, I will try to use different programs to burn, or different modes... I have "create mp3 cd"/"create WMA cd" in the nero options... may be such modes will have better results... thanks for the info...
Old 02-21-2006, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Ore Download the FREE Real Player here:

Click Here & Be Sure You DL The FREE RealPlayer
Old 02-21-2006, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Any CD creation program that can create CD-TEXT will allow your headunit to display the track names.
For mac users, you can try Roxio Toast.
Nero works great for PC users.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
All of the CDs I Burn using Real Player pull the song name and then display it on the CDs I have burned... The original CD that I used to copy the track from only displays "Track XX"

My best guess is that all of the CD/Song info is kept on the Original CD in certain "Fields" of the "Table of Contents". When I burn a CD, the "Track Name" field info is copied from the original field on the original CD, and written to a different, more commonly used field in the table of contents on the new CD.

My Guess is that the MB's Comand is looking for "Track Name" in a field that is not commonly used to store a Track Name, on Music CD's, not finding it & substituing "Track XX" as a stand-in. On the Home Made CDs it must recognize that we are inserting a "Data" type of CD, and is looking into the most commonly used field (by computers) to store the Track Name, and is able to see it and display it.

There IS a difference between Music, and Data CDs. Blank Music CDs have Music Royalties built into their price for distribution to Artists thru BMI/ASCAP, and Music CDs are encoded as such.

Why Comand is looking into the wrong field on a commercially available Music CD is a mystery, unless European Music CDs have Track Title stored in a different field than the US Music CDs.
When you insert a CD into your computer, Real Player will check with CDDB, an online database that gives CD info. Then when you copy the CD, it uses that info.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C230 SS
well i just burnt a cd with real player.. ill check 2moro to see if it works... if it does, boy am i going to love you guys... in the non-gayest way...of course...

Old 02-28-2006, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
I use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and this is how it looks like on the comand display

Old 02-28-2006, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C230 SS
didn't work for me... maybe because im not using command?