Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

v.60 Phone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Porsche 911 Carrera
The phone was 2980 + $280.00 for installation + 15% tax in Canada.

But definately worth it.

Think about it...You get a good quality phone, handsfree, the phone charges, automatically mutes the radio and steering wheel controls..

You become a more focused driver and less distrated...what is that worth if it can save a life? Also, less frustration...over the years....you'll realize, once you buy it, you will NEVER go back to a car without a phone.

my 0.02c

Sean
Old 11-08-2002, 12:33 PM

ml 55
V60

i bought a V60 last April from my local MB dealer and liked the phone. i dropped this phone and it fell into a gutter and was not retrievable and i'm suire ruined from both the fall and what it landed in. i have since called the dealer to inquire as to a replacement. The dealer said it would be around $700.00. I explained the above to him and told him i had already paid this firmware/software licemsing fee and just wanted to replave my ph. He said he cud not help and that MB had no such program for lost or damaged phones and that i would again have to pay full price. i dont think thisd is fair since i've already paid full price and Verizon sells these V60 phones for anywghere from $80 to $250 each and i have several for my employees.

My ? is; is there a way MB would work something out since i've already paid this firmware/software fee when i orig purchased my ph?

plz do what u can.

Thnx,

Ron
Old 11-08-2002, 12:50 PM

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
Go on Ebay, you can probably find a replacement phone for under $300.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:57 PM

Want v60 phone system with my Cingular

I live in the Texas panhandle but bought my 02ML55 AMG in Albuquerque.

The dealer in Albq. told me it wouldn't work with Cingular, but since Cingular uses TDMA it seems like I should be able to have this system installed.

I asked the local Cingular store and they aren't any help at all. My job requires me to be on the phone a lot and I need this.

Earlier in this post I saw TDMA phone system listed as compatable, does anyone know exactly what the deal is?

HELP PLEASE!!!

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:42 PM

I understand that the v60 has 2 different types of phones, 1 CDMA (V60C) and 1 TDMA (V60T). I believe when you order the option, you have to tell the dealer either TDMA or CDMA phone.

Apurva
Old 11-13-2002, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
...............Just so that people don't keep getting ulcers about this. IT is currently NOT possible to use any other kind of phone purchased from a retailer such as Verizon etc in your MB hands free system. Period. You have to buy an MB phone. Yes, it is a pain in the neck. I know that there are attempts to flash the firmware into say a local verizon phone, but this is yet to be accomplished. This partly explains why only lexus, MB and BMW have these phones and other car manufactures just don't think their clients will shell out that kind of money. Infinity for instance has the Q45 voice recognition ready but are still working on negotiation with Verizon, Cingular etc to create a universal integration, but so far no luck.

Ted
Old 11-13-2002, 11:15 PM

Smile Phone Install

Taking the ML55 to Park Place in Dallas Friday to have the V60t installed for use with Cingular!!!!!

After your help I called them since they are Texans and they said NO PROBLEM!!!!

I will let you know if it is worth it, I sure hope so since I am paying enough!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2002, 06:54 PM

a car
OEM V60 handsfreee kit.
You can even tap in to the radio for muting when the phone is in use and use the existing phone speaker if you like it also charges the phone.
http://www.discountcell.com/cellular/star/90801.asp

Here is a write up on it with a Nokia
http://www.benzworld.org/publications/pub.asp?id=85

I am putting mine in this weekend for the v60
Old 12-17-2002, 04:25 PM

Gareeb has got a great point there. Although my 1989 has absolutely no phone options , I have installed several kits and they all work nicely.

The one Gareeb talks about is great. I don't see spending thousands of dollars on a phone!!??!! My v60 was 200 with that kit another $200. Thats $400 and the only options I don't have is steering wheel controls and the on screen navigation display from the phone. My phone is hooked into my MP3/XM/FM (aftermakert Sony, very nice) and it "dims" the music when I touch a button on my phone or call.

I just don't understand why Mercedes rips people off...
Old 12-17-2002, 04:45 PM

1999 Porsche 911 Carrera
DISAGREE COMPLETELY

Mercedes does not rip people off....They simply charge the most amount of money that the market is willing to pay in order to sell the options and so that they can make money...if its way too expensive (i.e. the phone was $8000) no one would buy it.

In all faiirness you get for $2980.00 + $280.00 Cdn

-A v60 phone (which is worth around $400 -500 cdn
-Higher capacity battery owrth $100
-A special place to hold the phone
-The phone charges while in the cradle
-You get complete hands free via the stereo worth $500
-Auto Muting

But think about this:
-it also uses the car's antenna system
-you get the voice stalk on the s class which is worth antoher $1000 or so cdn to operate not only the phone but all the audio stuff as well

I'll be honest with you....in my business, I sometimes have 5 or 6 calls at the same time....This option has totally relaxed me and I talk to the talk for everything I need....whats that worth? to me, at least another $1000.00

so its worth it.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:52 PM

Also, isn't there a compensator or something that helps retain cell coverage through weak areas instead of getting dropped which is what happens in most cases? I thought I read this someplac.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:57 PM

a car
You can add a 3 watt booster kit to the antenna and get about 25db or better signal gain.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Gareeb has got a great point there. Although my 1989 has absolutely no phone options , I have installed several kits and they all work nicely.

The one Gareeb talks about is great. I don't see spending thousands of dollars on a phone!!??!! My v60 was 200 with that kit another $200. Thats $400 and the only options I don't have is steering wheel controls and the on screen navigation display from the phone. My phone is hooked into my MP3/XM/FM (aftermakert Sony, very nice) and it "dims" the music when I touch a button on my phone or call.

I just don't understand why Mercedes rips people off...

...................I think if you have an MB with comand and integrated phone, and you use your phone regularly, you will think differently. This option has tremendously added to my enjoyement of the car. I will pay $5000 for this option. Yes, I have 300CE with A VDO Dayton navigation radio with Samsung I-300 phone with hands free kit integrated and mutes the radio when calls come in............IT IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEEING THE SAME. Because I use my phone frequently, I find myself seldom driving the 300CE. A pre-owned Mb is one thing, but If you buy a new MB without this option, I think you will come to regret it.

Ted
Old 12-18-2002, 04:43 PM

I hear ya all. I stand corrected !!!

Well, this is why I was not happy with the phone in the SL 55 I test drove. I looked at it, it looked just like my v60i and the only nice stuff it had was the steering wheel command buttons, and the phone screen was on the GPS screen in the console. Pretty nice, but I didn't see in spending all that extra $$$.

Now, yes, if I were to buy an SL 55, (or whatever else w/ the Motorola option), I would get the phone. The main reason is I wouldn't want to drill and have wires running through the car like on my 89 300E. The 300E contains a police scanner, xm tuner, mp3/cd/fm receiver, HAM radio, 2 Way radio system, CB radio, compass weather forecaster thing and a performance meter... i like gadgets , so you can probably tell I would get all the standard benz gadgets.

Wow, sean sure holds a lot of calls there! On weekdays I can get a call at one time, on weekends maybe 2 max, but thats it. If I had five people on hold, and I was driving a car, I would be confused.

Yes, and regarding antenna's, my car has ten! It is more of a joke now, but it freaks people out. I am a radio guy, so might as well show off the antennas! The ol 300E looks hilarious. People don't know what to think of a brown benz with ten antennas.

My cradle for the v60 charges, uses an antenna atop my roof, and has the stereo quieting feature (for when those subs are pounding!). I am not meaning to downplay anyone here if the phones don't have the option, but I was just curious if the v60's from Mercedes give you the option to listen to FM or MP3's. LIke my phone can be a portable MP3 player or an FM receiver (you listen through a headset)...

And regarding Mercedes ripping people off... with some of those accessories, they are priced very high. I feel that charging the most people will pay is ripping you off, but they are somewhat justified. Mercedes-Benz makes extremely solid cars. They last long and some are extremely sporty. Nothing like leaving my garage in my 89 300e with 300,000 miles then going to test drive an SL 55 AMG with a Renntech engine. When you push that accelerator, you can't move your head forward!
Old 12-30-2002, 02:21 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 E430 Sport
Any sources for the booster kit?

Originally posted by gareeb
You can add a 3 watt booster kit to the antenna and get about 25db or better signal gain.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:06 AM

a car
Originally posted by TBMpilot
Any sources for the booster kit?
Here is one
Do a Search on Google for" 3+watt+booster+kit"
Starting price looks like 189.00
This first ones looks generic
http://www.jdteck.com/product/default.htm
http://www.jdteck.com/product/bonus.htm

http://www.1800mobiles.com/3watbooskit3.html
Old 01-02-2003, 12:16 PM

those with the V60 handsfree kit - as I understand it, this sytem is a simplex system, not duplex, so only one person can talk at a time. The Nokia system I have had for a number of years is duplex, so either party can talk or listen at the same time - does this bother any of you? Anyone know if the OEM kit is similar in terms of simplex or duplex?
Old 01-02-2003, 01:32 PM

2001 MB CLK55
Originally posted by schvetkaaks
those with the V60 handsfree kit - as I understand it, this sytem is a simplex system, not duplex, so only one person can talk at a time.
The OEM kit is full duplex.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:26 PM

2007 S550 2000 S430 and 2003 SL500 (for sale)
So Maybe I am dumb or something, I have read the whole form subject on the phone how ever I still do not unerstand.

My question: I have a 2000 S430 with and analog cell phone hooked in the hand rest, I went to the dealer and they told me it is possible to convert to digital, however it would cost me $1900-$2300 to convert to digital. So my question is this possible? Is their a cheaper way to do this and can I do this my self? Also where would be the best place a conversion kit? They also mentioned somthing a antenna in the bumper.

Thanks in advace for the help.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:58 PM
Banned

Mercedes C200K Coupe
Re: v.60 Phone

Originally posted by PhamNuwen
I was wondering if I could just get my existing v.60 phone (non-
Mercedes-Benz) integrated into my car or do I have to purchase the Mercedes-Benzversion from Mercedes-Benz. I'd like to save the $1.5K if I can.
When I wanted to install a cell phone in my car my dealer him self told me all what I have to do is buy a phone with certian version.

there are a lot of version of the same phone. (cuz they usually update its program ya know).

even if you couldn't find the version that the dealer told u about. you can transffer it from other MB mobile phone.

mobile phones shops can do that for you easily.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:45 AM

I don't know if this is off use to anybody, but I recently bought an aftermarket headunit and it has a phone feature in it. You have to use Nokia phone, but it lets you command it fully. Access phone book and such. I do not have it activated yet, as I do not have the phone (Still got a month left with Verizon contract).

The headunit is Alpine CDA-7897, the is another one they have which is identical to mine, but does not have an amp in it, and as different designation, but same phone feature.

The store I bought it from did not have the set yet, but they told me they'll give me a call when it gets there. It has a special thing to hold and charge the phone without taking up the outlet (sig lighter). I believe it will feed the sound through car speakers and have a mic mounted somewhere. The unit was 800 installed and the added thing for the phone should be less then 200-300 bucks. In my opinion this beats the hell out of MB phones, as you get a very good headunit (I mean you can even adjust cross-over from the unit).
Old 04-27-2003, 01:40 PM

2011 BMW 750 Individual, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Arctic Edition
With the Motorola kit, if you have a call on speakerphone, and you want privacy from the rest of the passengers, can you pick up the handset mid call?
Old 04-27-2003, 02:01 PM

04 - S600 Sport
Originally posted by Taurian
With the Motorola kit, if you have a call on speakerphone, and you want privacy from the rest of the passengers, can you pick up the handset mid call?
Yes you can. The cradle has two releases, one to seperate the phone completly (and take it with you) and the other to seperate the phone from the mounted cradle while still plugged into the system, which allows you to pick up the handset while either talking or to make a call. This way the phone continues to use the internal system, antenna, charging, etc..
Old 04-27-2003, 08:51 PM

2011 BMW 750 Individual, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Arctic Edition
FC - Thanks. Do you have the v.60 option? If so, what is your opinion. I am always on the phone for work, and find myself stopped on the side of the road or in a driveway conducting business, so I figured this option would make a big difference.
Old 04-27-2003, 10:29 PM

04 - S600 Sport
Originally posted by Taurian
FC - Thanks. Do you have the v.60 option? If so, what is your opinion. I am always on the phone for work, and find myself stopped on the side of the road or in a driveway conducting business, so I figured this option would make a big difference.
A must have, totally hands free. From the steering wheel you can answer, hangup. access phone book, dial from the phone book. With voice control you can verbally dial numbers at random or from your phone book.

I would recommed buying TrueSync Plus to manage your cell phone's phone book, calendar, etc. via Outlook, Notes, Palm, etc. Buy the desktop charger for your phone, connect TrueSync via the charger to the PC and you can sync depending on your preferences. Here is the link.

TrueSync Plus

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: v.60 Phone