Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Magellan vs. Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S600, 2006 SL55AMG, 2005 SLK 200K, 2004 S280
Magellan vs. Mercedes

For some reason the Magellan navigating system will not 'see' through the windscreen of either of my Bangkok cars.

This test took place in the USA.

My Magellan car navigation system went head to head with my Mercedes navigator and the latter was knocked out in the first round. Actually the MB didn't suffer a KO right away; but, its first driving instruction asked me to go the wrong way on a one way street and it followed that with telling me to make an illegal left turn.

For the better part of two hours I simultaneously tested both machines over the same route. Even though the software in the MB is newer than that in the Magellan the latter machine out performed the MB in almost every category.

1) The Magellan screen was always pointed in the direction that you were going while the top of the MB display always pointed north even if the car was going south.

2) The Magellan screen was clearer and offered more details...like street names.

3) The Magellan told the real driving distance between A and B while the MB gave the how-the-bird-flies distance.

4) The Magellan gave you choices (shortest, fastest, most freeways, no freeways) while the MG did not.

5) The Magellan took my car to the exact address while the MB took my car to the street.

6) Both voices were feminine; but the MB voice sounded like that of a dungeon queen: I could see her dressed in black leather.

7) The Magellan can be moved from car to car.

8) The MB does not hog my cigarette lighter.
Attached Thumbnails Magellan vs. Mercedes-copy-copy-copy-dscn0168.jpg  
Old 03-01-2006, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by corkscrew
For some reason the Magellan navigating system will not 'see' through the windscreen of either of my Bangkok cars.

This test took place in the USA.

My Magellan car navigation system went head to head with my Mercedes navigator and the latter was knocked out in the first round. Actually the MB didn't suffer a KO right away; but, its first driving instruction asked me to go the wrong way on a one way street and it followed that with telling me to make an illegal left turn.

For the better part of two hours I simultaneously tested both machines over the same route. Even though the software in the MB is newer than that in the Magellan the latter machine out performed the MB in almost every category.

1) The Magellan screen was always pointed in the direction that you were going while the top of the MB display always pointed north even if the car was going south.

2) The Magellan screen was clearer and offered more details...like street names.

3) The Magellan told the real driving distance between A and B while the MB gave the how-the-bird-flies distance.

4) The Magellan gave you choices (shortest, fastest, most freeways, no freeways) while the MG did not.

5) The Magellan took my car to the exact address while the MB took my car to the street.

6) Both voices were feminine; but the MB voice sounded like that of a dungeon queen: I could see her dressed in black leather.

Okay, let's take your MB bashes one-at-a-time:

~My S-class NAV can be set to always point north or in the direction of travel. I prefer N because it keeps me oriented w/ regard to true north.

~My S screen is very clear and offers more details than I can assimilate while driving safely.

~My NAV tells real driving distances, not how-the-bird-flies distance. Don't know why yours thinks it is a bird.

~My S-class NAV gives many choices (Shortest, Fastest, w/ or w/out toll roads, w/ or w/out water crossings, and lot more).

~My NAV gets me to the exact address or w/in a few feet of the address I enter.

~I kind of like the dungeon queen voice. I can see her in black leather too!

~As long as you buy a Mercedes w/ NAV you don't need to move it.

~Amen, brother!

Now if my NAV could provide me w/ your naked ladies, I'd marry it.

Last edited by Jayhawk; 03-01-2006 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:59 AM

2013 C300 Sport 4Matic
I hated my Magellan Roadmate. I have the Comand 2.0 in my c230, and I'd pick it anyday over the Magellan.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:47 AM

~My S-class NAV gives many choices (Shortest, Fastest, w/ or w/out toll roads, w/ or w/out water crossings, and lot more).

Well 2000 S had the option of shortest, and fastest, unfortunetly the 2006 does not have this option. I tested it and it doesn't take you the fastest way it seems like it takes you the simplist way(staying on major roads).
Old 03-02-2006, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Great reply, Jayhawk. Before I saw yours, I had done one in response to the similar post on the other forum. Loved yours!

You should arrange to meet Corkscrew in Bangkok. Bet he can show you some dungeon queens. And anything else. Doubt if it has changed much in that regard since I was there last.

But do take in some of the true culture. It is fascinating!

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-02-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
i had the roadmate 700 and thought it was great, at least here in nyc. then i got the bright idea (sarcastic) to retrofit a comand into my clk, bad move that i regret till this day.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by Skylaw
Great reply, Jayhawk. Before I saw yours, I had done one in response to the similar post on the other forum. Loved yours!

You should arrange to meet Corkscrew in Bangkok. Bet he can show you some dungeon queens. And anything else. Doubt if it has changed much in that regard since I was there last.

But do take in some of the true culture. It is fascinating!
Thanks Sky. I just replied to one of those other Corkscrew posts. I think he is going for a "fanatic" rating.

I'm beginning to think everyones been there but me.