Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

XM Radio Command System?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 Audi R8, '09 SL63, '10 GLK, '10 ML550
XM Radio Command System?

I have a new SL500 with Sirius radio and I would like to change to XM radio instead. Is there a command system with XM radio like the one I have with Sirius? I don't want to do any funky installs, with wires or antennas hanging all over. I have been down that road in my Highlander. I would like an XM command system in my SL, just like the Sirius system, if possible. I know that it will cost money to change systems. I just don't know if it is possible.

I have XM radio in two of our other cars, as well as in our house. I think it is FAR superior to Sirius in the number of stations and quality of music. And, Sirius actually has DJs and they never stop talking. I switched to satellite radio, so I don't have to listen to incessant talking. And WHY an ELVIS channel?? Just Elvis songs. How lame is that? What a waste of a channel. My husband and teen-aged kids feel the same. NOW I know why XM has millions more subscribers than Sirius. I only wish Mercedes didn't choose Sirius for their cars.

Sirius is the only disappointment in my SL. I NEVER expected Sirius to be so far off from XM. I really looked forward to many happy "satellite radio" miles in my SL. In the meantime, Napster and I are becoming good friends.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
DCX didn't "choose" Sirius as their preferred provider. Chrysler and Ford (partially) own Sirius, just as GM partially owns XM and only offers XM on its cars & trucks. Each car company makes money not only on the sale of the receiver to you but on the subscription money too.

Only those car manufacturers with NO ownership of either Satellite Broadcaster offer you a choice between the two. It doesn't matter which one you choose, they have receivers for either one, and make money only on the sale of the equipment to you.

BTW Sirius now has surpassed XM in the number of subscribers. (Love him or hate him its probably because of Howard Stern moving to Sirius).
Old 04-27-2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Only those car manufacturers with NO ownership of either Satellite Broadcaster offer you a choice between the two. It doesn't matter which one you choose, they have receivers for either one, and make money only on the sale of the equipment to you.
So, does this mean there are XM command systems that will fit my SL? If I understand this correctly, there are different manufacturers of these command systems. I think I have seen people write about Delphi, Becker, Audiovox, US version, Euro version, etc on this forum. Are they interchangeable among different cars? I have never seen one beyond what I have in my car, so I don't know if various command systems are limited to certain models.

I am also not fond of the way my command system handles Sirius programming. Someone mentioned in another thread about the frustration of having to always push "info" to see what song/artist is playing. Why isn't that displayed all the time?? That seems like such a fundamental setting for a satellite radio. Also, my SL command only lets me save 10 presets, unlike my XM "radios" in my other cars/house that allow unlimited number of presets. They are just some more shortcomings that are a bit frustrating with this system.

I haven't investigated this beyond this forum. I thought maybe someone out there has already been down this path. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
It doesn't matter who builds the comand for MB or for which model. MB only has Comand integration with Sirius.

There are other aftermarket solutions to get XM, but they are not fully integrated, & interconnect with the audio system like they would in any car at any price range.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
It doesn't matter who builds the comand for MB or for which model. MB only has Comand integration with Sirius.

There are other aftermarket solutions to get XM, but they are not fully integrated, & interconnect with the audio system like they would in any car at any price range.
Got it! That answers my questions. Thanks for that info. I will start burning more CDs.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You don't have to spend a lot of $$$$$$ on a unit that is compatible. If you do it right you can have clean install, acceptable sound, no wires visible and less than $100 for XM. A simple add on Roady2 will give you a good sound and easy install. My aux input is not activated yet and that's why I used a cassette adapter.

Last edited by kenstudios; 07-27-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:25 AM

CLS55
[QUOTE=spnslc]I have a new SL500 with Sirius radio and I would like to change to XM radio instead. QUOTE]

I had a meeting with a guy from XM around the beginning of the year. I referenced a client who had a mbz w/ sirius and he told me theres a place here in la that he could send my client to where they can switch your sirius to xm. Now.... I don't know if you get all the menus or what it entails, but he said it could be done. He also gave me a xm portable reciever which I listened to in my car as my wifes had sirius. Imo, there were music channels on sirius that I prefer to xm, so I'm happy with sirius in my car, but if you do some research you should be able to find out how to get xm into your car.

If you start searching in google several leads pop up.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:33 AM

[QUOTE=Dogshine]
Originally Posted by spnslc
I have a new SL500 with Sirius radio and I would like to change to XM radio instead. QUOTE]

I had a meeting with a guy from XM around the beginning of the year. I referenced a client who had a mbz w/ sirius and he told me theres a place here in la that he could send my client to where they can switch your sirius to xm.
Great. I will call around. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:15 AM

2003 c230 coupe
"BTW Sirius now has surpassed XM in the number of subscribers. (Love him or hate him its probably because of Howard Stern moving to Sirius)."

If you did your research you would know sirius only has 3.7 million and XM has 6.5 million subscribers. Howard Stern has only net 750,000 subscribers so far. XM also has more channels thatn Sirius.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL500
For what it's worth, I've got XM in 4 of my cars. 3 with antennas mounted outside and on mounted inside on the rear deck. The reception with the one on the deck is by far the best. Go figure....