Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Could be easy... could be impossible!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be easy... could be impossible!!!

I want to:

Add a small pinhold camera to the rear bumper of my car... easy
Add a DVD with a 7" motorized monitor... easy
When I put the car in reverse, the DVD monitor comes out, switches to the bumper camera so I can reverse using the camera... urm........hmm.....

That's my project, is that possible?
Old 06-24-2006, 09:50 AM

1979 911SC, 2001 E55, 1999 CLK430, 1993 190E 2.6
Depending on what screen you use. Most units nowadays have a reverse input and it would automatically default to the back up cam when you put it in reverse.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:21 AM

Totally possible but seems like overkill unless you want the in-dash LCD for other uses too like Navi. There are a few really good backup camera solutions out there right now that use a dedicated small LCD screen. Some even integrate into rearview mirror like the compass/temp gauge in many cars today.

One other thought, most motorized screens take a few seconds to deploy. This might not seem like much but could be annoying when you need to use it fast. Also, in colder climates, the LCD will take a few more seconds to reach full brightness. The system should also have a time delay for the retract function to keep the display from folding in and out while you are doing more complicated parking manouvers.

Actually, your idea is starting to sound like a fun project! Good Luck!
Old 06-24-2006, 08:51 PM

1979 911SC, 2001 E55, 1999 CLK430, 1993 190E 2.6
Originally Posted by MagicO309D
Totally possible but seems like overkill unless you want the in-dash LCD for other uses too like Navi. There are a few really good backup camera solutions out there right now that use a dedicated small LCD screen. Some even integrate into rearview mirror like the compass/temp gauge in many cars today.

One other thought, most motorized screens take a few seconds to deploy. This might not seem like much but could be annoying when you need to use it fast. Also, in colder climates, the LCD will take a few more seconds to reach full brightness. The system should also have a time delay for the retract function to keep the display from folding in and out while you are doing more complicated parking manouvers.

Actually, your idea is starting to sound like a fun project! Good Luck!
I would hope he allows his car to warm up more than a few seconds before he slams it into reverse :^) The screen coming out has never been a problem for me.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:28 PM

I live in Trinidad so cold is never a problem for me! I'll be using the screen as an incar DVD also.

The auto retract is a good point. Could I install a switch that would enable me to temporarily bypass the reverse signal reaching the DVD unit when I need to do complicated manoeuvres?
Old 07-12-2006, 12:58 AM

Back Up Camera

I have a back up camera installed in my G Wagen and it works fine. CCD camera mounted on the bumper and small (too small, 1,25 X1.5") LCD screen mounted inside above the rear view mirror. All activated by the reverse signal. Only problem is that I would like a little larger screen...maybe 3 X 4". Any ideas of a good unit??