Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Command Nav question (2000 CLK430)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
Question Command Nav question (2000 CLK430)

Hi,
I bought a 2000 CLK430 a few months ago with the Command Navigation, but I'm having trouble with street detail (resolution) on the maps. No smaller streets are showing up on the display no matter what my zoom level is ... only major roads, highways, and interstates are visible. I'm familiar with other GPS units ... I have a portable Garmin unit and all of the streets show up on it. Am I doing something wrong with the MB unit, or are the minor streets just not supposed to show up?
Old 07-06-2006, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
First, check to see that you have the disc for your geographic region loaded in the nav CD slot. If you have a post-2004 edition Nav CD, it has the entire U.S. interstate system on every U.S. regional disc - but it only shows major roads when you are located outside the region the disc is primarily for.

Second, the detail on CDs is not as great as that of MB DVD based systems. Some areas of the country do not include as much detail as others. Recently even my DVD system did not display smaller roads in some West Virginia towns - but the detail in Baltimore, Northern Virginia, DC, and Tampa, FL has been excellent, showing even the very short cul-de-sac our Florida home is on.

Other than that, I don't know what the problem could be. You might try the disc in someone else's compatible system and check the result. If the results are better, it could be a problem with your system - possibly the need for a firmware update.

Last edited by Skylaw; 07-07-2006 at 05:58 AM.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
Thanks Skylaw,
First, check to see that you have the disc for your geographic region loaded in the nav CD slot. If you have a post-2004 edition Nav CD, it has the entire U.S. interstate system on every U.S. regional disc - but it only shows major roads when you are located outside the region the disc is primarily for.
I checked and my cd is dated year 2000 and I have number 9 which I believe covers the Southeast including where I am in Alabama, so I think I have the correct cd. When I drove to Tennessee (which isn't included on cd 9) no roads showed up at all on the display which coincides with what you say Skylaw about only the newer cd having major roads for the whole US.

Recently even my DVD system did not display smaller roads in some West Virginia towns - but the detail in Baltimore, Northern Virginia, DC, and Tampa, FL has been excellent, showing even the very short cul-de-sac our Florida home is on.
I did a test and scrolled around the display to examine different cities and noted Atlanta, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Charlotte all show small streets (and gas stations, etc), but Huntsville (where I am), Birmingham, Montgomery, and Mobile don't show small streets.

Maybe a newer cd (since mine's old from 2000) would help? Anyone have experience getting a newer cd and having more streets show up? Funny, my Garmin gps has one cd for all the Eastern US and all of the streets are on it, even old country dirt roads.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E-430 4-Matic
Originally Posted by mheffel
Thanks Skylaw,

I checked and my cd is dated year 2000 and I have number 9 which I believe covers the Southeast including where I am in Alabama, so I think I have the correct cd. When I drove to Tennessee (which isn't included on cd 9) no roads showed up at all on the display which coincides with what you say Skylaw about only the newer cd having major roads for the whole US.

I did a test and scrolled around the display to examine different cities and noted Atlanta, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Charlotte all show small streets (and gas stations, etc), but Huntsville (where I am), Birmingham, Montgomery, and Mobile don't show small streets.

Maybe a newer cd (since mine's old from 2000) would help? Anyone have experience getting a newer cd and having more streets show up? Funny, my Garmin gps has one cd for all the Eastern US and all of the streets are on it, even old country dirt roads.
I have a 2001 E Class with the same version of COMAND (****pit Management and Navigation Display) as you have. Even with the new set of CDs, not many street names are displayed. Zooming sometimes helps (Z+ and Z- buttons). It appears, though, that the street listing in the system is complete, and I never had any problems entering any street names for navigation directions.
The new CDs are better, as they allow navigation across CD regions, at least on the interstates and major roads. If you get the new CDs, you can ask the dealer to update the software to the latest version. The new software has some enhancements, such as graying out the letters that are not applicable when entering street and city names.
The COMAND manual is over 200 pages long. There are a number of interesting features, such as an AUX input in the glove compartment that allows you to connect an MP3 player, such as iPod. If you don't have the manual, you can search the W210 thread for the link to download it.
Can you believe the forum software inserted ****pit instead of C O C K P I T?? I think that's hilarious!!

Last edited by livetodrive; 07-08-2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:15 PM

'06 E 350 4matic wagon; '05 E 500 4matic sedan; '09 S550 4matic
LTD,

tell me more about the MP3 aux input. I also have a 2001 E but never saw an aux input in the glove box. My 2005 has one there but not 2001?
Old 07-09-2006, 10:15 PM

2001 E-430 4-Matic
AUX Input

The auxiliary input was provided only on vehicles with the COMAND system. The input is in the glove compartment on the left wall.

The following message was posted by Blackbeard on the W210 Forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzlvr
4. Where I can find/download a Navigation Owner's Manual?

COMAND manuals in .pdf can be found here: http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/comand_manual.htm

Another good COMAND site is here: http://www.mercupgrades.com/comand/faq.shtml

Good Luck and Happy COMAND'ing
Old 07-15-2006, 02:47 PM

'06 E 350 4matic wagon; '05 E 500 4matic sedan; '09 S550 4matic
I'll check again, I have COMMAND, Nav, Voice Control, Phone, the whole deal so you think I should have the port in the glovebox. I found the one in my 2005 E500 but not the '03.