Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

V1 / Blinder Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by cyntaxx
Don't they just sell the remote indicator that is integrated into the rearview for $300-500? I swear I've seen a company sell the entire assembly that you can buy to interface with your existing V1.

I know they do this for some BMW's.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G500
Originally Posted by ldangeli
Actually, the sell the mirror already assembled. its the same as what you have. the remote unit is put into the mirror and wired to the main unit which is hidden up in the head liner. The mirrors are sold for 700 - 1000 depending on the car. its big with the porsche guys. They tend to spend. Its no secret how it is done.
Yes, that's what I meant. I am considering one of these mirrors but am split between having a small LCD integrated (which they also offer pre-assembled) for use with backup camera. My G doesn't have Parktronic so I'd like the benefit of one of those as well.

What power source do most tap into when hardwiring their V1's here? I sold my v1.8 with my previous vehicle and am getting a new one soon. Wish they would go to a new version soon though!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Any remote power on power source, i.e., ciggy lighter, radio, etc. You can always go backup camera off of the Command Monitor. With the V1, there are a lot of options, but honestly for the price, the K40, front and rear radar / laser is cheaper / better. You get two blue LED's (hidden away), voice or beep or both notification and a guarantee for one year that they will pay your ticket should you get one while using their system. They are so confident that you won't, that it is the best, that they back it up. V1 on the other hand... well, they just say they are the best.

What power source do most tap into when hardwiring their V1's here? I sold my v1.8 with my previous vehicle and am getting a new one soon. Wish they would go to a new version soon though!
Old 08-07-2006, 12:44 PM

G500
Any remote power on power source, i.e., ciggy lighter, radio, etc. You can always go backup camera off of the Command Monitor. V1 on the other hand... well, they just say they are the best.
Any write-ups for hardwiring a radar detector? I guess I should do a search first but figured we are on the topic...

I didn't know the US-spec COMAND could support auxilary video inputs? I thought only the much newer ones could and they had to be "unlocked?" Will the COMAND from my W463 work?

I've ran a V1 in every single vehicle I've owned and am a total convert. I went from a Passport 8500, which is still a quality detector. How much is the K40? V1 is only $400.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
There is a company that will do an upgrade to your factory head unit. Works on most vehicles, enables inputs for backup cameras etc.

The K40 isn't cheaper than the v1, off the shelf. However, if you are doing the Mirror, etching, remote and hard wire unit, plus install and parts, the K40 is a better option. Upgrading from passport to V1 was a leap, upgrading from V1 to K40 is yet another leap in protection.

Any write-ups for hardwiring a radar detector? I guess I should do a search first but figured we are on the topic...

I didn't know the US-spec COMAND could support auxilary video inputs? I thought only the much newer ones could and they had to be "unlocked?" Will the COMAND from my W463 work?

I've ran a V1 in every single vehicle I've owned and am a total convert. I went from a Passport 8500, which is still a quality detector. How much is the K40? V1 is only $400.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
So far I've still only seen pictures of the etched rear view mirror. That is no big deal. I'm still trying to find a picture of the hidden main unit. Some people stated that it is installed between the headliner and roof. I'd still like to see a picture of an install like that on any vehicle. To date, I have still seen 0 pictures of a hidden V1 install. If someone could take a picture of their hidden main unit (NOT the rear view mirror display), I'd appreciate it
Old 08-08-2006, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Question Slightly off-topic

Hi friends,

Does anyone know how close the police are to detecting these devices that jam their radar and laser units? It seems to me that this would be a top priority.

Thanks,
M
Old 08-08-2006, 07:27 PM

CLS55
Originally Posted by Musikmann
Hi friends,

Does anyone know how close the police are to detecting these devices that jam their radar and laser units? It seems to me that this would be a top priority.

Thanks,
M
Radar dectectors are nothing more than fancy radios tuned to a specific frequency. Therefore the FCC cannot ban them. Most states don't have laws against them. Like all radios, they occilate on certain frequencies. This makes radar-dector-detecors able to pick them up. But don't worry, they are legal in 49 states.

The only state that does condemn laser jammer and radar decectors is Virginia, and they are adamant about it! So either go around Virginia or turn everything off.

As far as I know laser jamming is not illegal. On the other hand RADAR jamming is VERY illegal, federal punishment due to FCC regulations blah blah.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Laser jammers don't actually "Jam" the laser gun. The scramble the frequency just enough to give an inaccurate reading. That is how they get around FCC regulations.

Originally Posted by Musikmann
Hi friends,

Thanks,
M
Old 09-14-2006, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
So, anyone able to come up with a picture of a hidden V1 main unit? I'd like to see a picture of one on any vechicle. To date, no one has ever posted a picture of a hidden V1 install on this forum, or anywhere else that I can find
Old 09-14-2006, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
V1

Again, unless you are there at the shop when the pull your headliner down and put it in, your're probably not going to get a picture of it. Most shops won't share those pics with you.

Originally Posted by jgsx
So, anyone able to come up with a picture of a hidden V1 main unit? I'd like to see a picture of one on any vechicle. To date, no one has ever posted a picture of a hidden V1 install on this forum, or anywhere else that I can find
Old 09-14-2006, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
I'm talking about a picture of one already installed, like from an owner
Old 09-14-2006, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
V1

Apparently from the responses, the owners who have it, aren't willing / savvy enough to pull down their headliner, take a picture and put it back up. What do you want to see? The unit 3M taped to the roof, wire run down the door sils, and then the liner placed over it? Thats how it is done.

I'm talking about a picture of one already installed, like from an owner
Old 09-14-2006, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
I want to see a picture of the completed install. I don't want to see it torn apart. I want to see the finished work where the main unit is. Is there a bulge? Where does the rear antenna go? etc
Old 10-12-2006, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Still to date, can't find a single picture of a hidden V1 unit anywhere
Old 10-17-2006, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
You did see a picture of a completed install. The mirror, laser unit in the front. That is all you'll see on a good install.

I want to see a picture of the completed install. I don't want to see it torn apart. I want to see the finished work where the main unit is. Is there a bulge? Where does the rear antenna go? etc
Old 10-18-2006, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
You did see a picture of a completed install. The mirror, laser unit in the front. That is all you'll see on a good install.
Where is the BASE UNIT? Is it in the mirror, in the head liner, where? Where are the radar antennas