Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

MB Bluetooth Puck Treo 650 Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry MB Bluetooth Puck Treo 650 Problems

I have a 2006 E55 & just had the MB Bluetooth phone puck added. I use a Treo 650 as my phone.

Now, I know the Treo has a suckful BT implementation, so some functionality is missing (e.g., downloading phonebook). I can live with most of these issues, but I am having one very annoying problem & am hoping someone can provide some insight.

Essentially, the phone does not stay "on" as far as COMAND is concerned. For example, whenever I push the "TEL" button (or use voice commands to switch to the phone), the screen tells me the phone is "off". I then have to push "TEL" to activate it. In addition, COMAND thinks the phone goes to "off" at other, apparently random, times. If I'm storing a name, the screen inevitably switches to saying the phone is "off" part-way through the operation.

I'm assuming this not the way the system is supposed to work? Anyone else have this trouble? Anyone with insights on this problem?

--
Hook
Old 07-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,301 Likes on 2,047 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Hook
I have a 2006 E55 & just had the MB Bluetooth phone puck added. I use a Treo 650 as my phone.

Now, I know the Treo has a suckful BT implementation, so some functionality is missing (e.g., downloading phonebook). I can live with most of these issues, but I am having one very annoying problem & am hoping someone can provide some insight.

Essentially, the phone does not stay "on" as far as COMAND is concerned. For example, whenever I push the "TEL" button (or use voice commands to switch to the phone), the screen tells me the phone is "off". I then have to push "TEL" to activate it. In addition, COMAND thinks the phone goes to "off" at other, apparently random, times. If I'm storing a name, the screen inevitably switches to saying the phone is "off" part-way through the operation.

I'm assuming this not the way the system is supposed to work? Anyone else have this trouble? Anyone with insights on this problem?

--
Hook
You just described the problem with the poor bluetooth implementation of the Treo 650.

If the Bluetooth connection drops even intermittently, you loose connectivity to the cars system. With the Treo 650, this can happen at any time. Worst yet, if you have the bonded the puck to two phones (like your wife's for example) and she is in the car, the puck will automatically switch to her phone without you even knowing it as comand continues to show a connected phone.

This has nothing to do with MB's bluetooth puck, but with the Treo. If this functionality is important to you, I suggest you switch to a Treo 700 and sell the old one on Ebay.

Wolfman
Old 07-16-2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
You just described the problem with the poor bluetooth implementation of the Treo 650.

If the Bluetooth connection drops even intermittently, you loose connectivity to the cars system. With the Treo 650, this can happen at any time. Worst yet, if you have the bonded the puck to two phones (like your wife's for example) and she is in the car, the puck will automatically switch to her phone without you even knowing it as comand continues to show a connected phone.

This has nothing to do with MB's bluetooth puck, but with the Treo. If this functionality is important to you, I suggest you switch to a Treo 700 and sell the old one on Ebay.

Wolfman
So, the Treo 700 BT fixes this problem, huh? Does it have better BT functionality in any other area?

Also, is this the 700W or 700P?

--
Hook
Old 07-16-2006, 04:27 PM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
I've heard from a MB parts buddy that the 650 has had major issues and the 700 has a much better track record with the new BT puck.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:23 PM

The 700 W and P versions work better than the 650 but there are still some issues. They're great phones but their Bluetooth implementations are a little too complex/strict and finicky to play nicely with more complex OEM hands-free systems.

The good news is that Treo is aware of these issues and will take steps to debug their implementations in the future.

Don't trade up your 650 just yet but keep checking the Treo's support site for software updates. It would also help everyone if you would contact Treo customer service, tell them what you are using, and ask them to expidite a fix.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by MagicO309D
The 700 W and P versions work better than the 650 but there are still some issues. They're great phones but their Bluetooth implementations are a little too complex/strict and finicky to play nicely with more complex OEM hands-free systems.

The good news is that Treo is aware of these issues and will take steps to debug their implementations in the future.

Don't trade up your 650 just yet but keep checking the Treo's support site for software updates. It would also help everyone if you would contact Treo customer service, tell them what you are using, and ask them to expidite a fix.
After doing more online research I see that the 700's are better, but still not great. Thanks for the tip. I ain't gonna upgrade yet.

I wish I had your faith that Palm would actually be fixing this on the existing platforms (especially the 650 at this point). But I will report this problem vioa the site & keep hoping.

--
Hook
Old 07-18-2006, 09:52 PM

Faith has nothing to do with it. It's just that when MBUSA offers the use of a test car, other companies always seem to accept!
Old 07-18-2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by MagicO309D
Faith has nothing to do with it. It's just that when MBUSA offers the use of a test car, other companies always seem to accept!
Huh???
Old 07-19-2006, 02:41 AM

After doing more online research I see that the 700's are better, but still not great.
Not sure what you consider great, but I love using the puck with my 700, works flawlessly. Yeah it doesn't d/l the phonebook, but I can live w/o that, especially with voice activation thru the command unit.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C320 Coupe MT
My problem is that my memory isn't all that great to know exactly who is calling without caller id...
Old 07-19-2006, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by shanta
Not sure what you consider great, but I love using the puck with my 700, works flawlessly. Yeah it doesn't d/l the phonebook, but I can live w/o that, especially with voice activation thru the command unit.
"Great" would be full BT functionality. Adequate would be that the phone doesn't lose the connection constantly.

--
Hook
Old 07-19-2006, 10:50 AM

"Great" would be full BT functionality. Adequate would be that the phone doesn't lose the connection constantly.

--
Hook
My phone doesn't lose connection at all with my puck or any BT device I pair with it. When I am not in my car my phone is paired with a Treo BT headset...never had any problems. I use it with my laptop to sync and no problems there...maybe I am lucky ...
Old 07-19-2006, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by shanta
My phone doesn't lose connection at all with my puck or any BT device I pair with it. When I am not in my car my phone is paired with a Treo BT headset...never had any problems. I use it with my laptop to sync and no problems there...maybe I am lucky ...
Are you saying you have a Treo 650 and you never have any trouble with COMAND thinking the phone is "off"?

--
Hook
Old 07-20-2006, 08:53 AM

Are you saying you have a Treo 650 and you never have any trouble with COMAND thinking the phone is "off"?

--
Hook
I had a Treo 650 and it worked like a charm and now I upgraded to a Treo 700 and it works like a charm also.