Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

FM Modulated XM in C230

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Question FM Modulated XM in C230

Hey gang,
I was directed here after a bit of a confusing experience.
I have been told both by mbusa and an "experienced" car audio installer that FM modulation won't work on the 2002 C230's because the antenna hook-up is different than standard.
BTW, we're talking about adding XM to the factory Bose system here... I'd rather keep it that way for now.
To cut down on confusion as much as possible, here is what I currently have:
(1) Alpine XM Tuner (TU-020 or something like that...)
(1) Alpine FM Modulator/controller (CRA-1667RF)
(1) Terk Roof Mount antenna
What kind of antenna adapter(s) will I need?
Part numbers/names would be a huge help so I can get these morons to understand how it all goes together.
Any help at all is appreciated, as I am kinda frustrated and would love to have XM.
Old 08-23-2002, 12:57 PM

E55
Not sure what plug the mercedes uses cause I had my professionally done, but if it was like my BMW (which I am sure it is), yes it is different. You can get the adapter from any Car Audio Install shop for like 5 - 12 bucks.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:50 PM

E320 CDI
I do not know about the antenna but an FM system will never sound as good. Isnt there a way to use a line-in set up?
Old 08-25-2002, 04:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by SpeedLimits?
I do not know about the antenna but an FM system will never sound as good. Isnt there a way to use a line-in set up?
Yopu are right it is going to sound a little bit better than a good FM station, and for what I've seen nobody has come up with a good aux input.
Old 08-25-2002, 06:01 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Post Aux input possible in the future...

There is a company called BlitzSafe cables that is developing a direct digital connection scheme, however...
It is a cable that basically tricks the stock headunit into thinking an FM modulator is actually an MB CD changer. First up on their list is a cable for the '02 BMW 7 Series, followed by MB cables, but the whole catch is it's either/or at this point... either the CD changer or the FM modulator.
I don't know about you, but I want both. I asked about the possibility of a switcher or splitter, and they said that was definitely a possibility, but they won't know until they get closer to actually manufacturing the cables, around the October timeframe...
Meanwhile...
I'm still planning to stick to an antenna adapter. Can anyone confirm for sure what adapters I will need?
Thanks.
Old 08-26-2002, 02:33 AM

Well, if your XM radio FM modulator connection is just the same as a regular FM modulator, then you need 2 adapters.

One changes MB's plug into the standard plug and goes into the modulator, and then you need another one (it's the exact opposite of the other adapter) that changes the standard antenna plug from the modulator to the MB's plug so you can plug it into your stock MB radio.

You can get these adapters at like Circuit City for about 10-12 dollars...online is cheaper, maybe like 5-10 dollars.

By standard I mean the type of plug that most aftermarket unit and US cars use. And MB's plug=most European cars' type. I'll give you a link:

here is the adapter for the MB antenna to the FM modulator input.

BTW, I needed to get a noise filter before my stations would work well after I put in an aftermarket MP3 player.

You might want to PM irvinec32 and ask him. He just put in a RF 10 disc MP3 changer I think.

Last edited by hawk; 08-26-2002 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:30 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C320 Sedan
Thumbs down FM Modulated CD changer

Adding a Mp3 Player , Cd changer using FM Modulator is not recommended. I had that done on my 2002 C320. I basically had a stand alone Pioneer DVD/CD 6 Disc Changer model XDVP9. The sound quality really suck. sound like it is farting. you can't even bare to listen cause it is that bad. it sound like blown speaker. I then had it taken out. And one good thought came to mind. I Decide to use a cassette adaptor. If you plan not to use the cassette player , then just do what i had done to my system. O reccomend it. Installation was done. and guess what ? CD Quality.It sounded so great that you won't care on how you hooked it up. Now i can enjoy my CDS and DVD Audio. As for me , i have a good friend who installed it for me. it's a clean installation. There was no wire dangling. and about the cassette adaptor wire , you won't notice a bit. it's not really visible. i didn't have to replace my stock deck either. i still have my steering wheel volume control. and guess what i am planning to do with the empty slot on the bottom of the stock deck ? YEP...YOU GUESS RIGHT. I am going to have my 7' Monitor installed there. to sum it all up , you can have a really good car system upgrade using the cassette adaptor. Here is what i used for the installation.

First you need your DVD , CD or Mp3 Changer !!! Make sure it is a Stand Alone.
15' feet RCA AUDIO CABLE - From DVD/CD Changer in the trunk to the front near the stock deck.
15' feet RCA COMPOSITE VIDEO CABLE - From DVD/CD Changer in the trunk to the front near the stock deck.( in my case i had it cause i am going to add an in dash monitor in the future , so i don't have to run the cable again. SMART thinking.)
AN RCA Y ADAPTOR CONVERTER - This is a special Y adaptor. One end has 2 FEMALE RCA JACK INPUT.( Left & RIGHT ) and the Other end has a mini headphone input jack. ( for the cassette adaptor mini jack).
Old 09-12-2002, 11:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Re: FM Modulated CD changer

Originally posted by xray5o6
Adding a Mp3 Player , Cd changer using FM Modulator is not recommended. I had that done on my 2002 C320. I basically had a stand alone Pioneer DVD/CD 6 Disc Changer model XDVP9. The sound quality really suck. sound like it is farting. you can't even bare to listen cause it is that bad. it sound like blown speaker. I then had it taken out. And one good thought came to mind. I Decide to use a cassette adaptor. If you plan not to use the cassette player , then just do what i had done to my system. O reccomend it. Installation was done. and guess what ? CD Quality.It sounded so great that you won't care on how you hooked it up. Now i can enjoy my CDS and DVD Audio. As for me , i have a good friend who installed it for me. it's a clean installation. There was no wire dangling. and about the cassette adaptor wire , you won't notice a bit. it's not really visible. i didn't have to replace my stock deck either. i still have my steering wheel volume control. and guess what i am planning to do with the empty slot on the bottom of the stock deck ? YEP...YOU GUESS RIGHT. I am going to have my 7' Monitor installed there. to sum it all up , you can have a really good car system upgrade using the cassette adaptor. Here is what i used for the installation.

First you need your DVD , CD or Mp3 Changer !!! Make sure it is a Stand Alone.
15' feet RCA AUDIO CABLE - From DVD/CD Changer in the trunk to the front near the stock deck.
15' feet RCA COMPOSITE VIDEO CABLE - From DVD/CD Changer in the trunk to the front near the stock deck.( in my case i had it cause i am going to add an in dash monitor in the future , so i don't have to run the cable again. SMART thinking.)
AN RCA Y ADAPTOR CONVERTER - This is a special Y adaptor. One end has 2 FEMALE RCA JACK INPUT.( Left & RIGHT ) and the Other end has a mini headphone input jack. ( for the cassette adaptor mini jack).
This is very good, but some pics would help to understand your installation.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:10 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C320 Sedan
Thumbs up CAssette Adaptor Continue.

O.k. I'll will post the picture tommorrow. I have to take some snapshot. Check back later. :p
Old 09-13-2002, 12:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Re: CAssette Adaptor Continue.

O.k. I'll will post the picture tommorrow. I have to take some snapshot. Check back later. :p
OK
Old 09-14-2002, 02:14 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C320 Sedan
Cassette Adaptor

Sorry POCH...I didn't get a chance to take pictures to post. it'll be pretty soon. too busy .. ..check back later..
Old 09-14-2002, 10:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Re: Cassette Adaptor

Sorry POCH...I didn't get a chance to take pictures to post. it'll be pretty soon. too busy .. ..check back later..
OK, no rush, I'm here most the time anyway
Old 09-29-2002, 09:39 PM

my xm works perfectly. the antenna plugs/converter you will need is for a vw style antenna. i will post pics later.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:11 PM

http://www.csportcoupe.com/forums/sh...p?threadid=679
Old 09-30-2002, 04:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by nov0798
my xm works perfectly. the antenna plugs/converter you will need is for a vw style antenna. i will post pics later.
Is it FM Modulated? How does that sound?
Old 10-01-2002, 01:48 PM

yea it sounds awesome. i was a little leary at first about the modulated xm, but i thought i would try it anyway. im happy with the sound quality and would recommend it to anyone. i think the people who have problems dont read the manual. the manual clearly states that you should set the fm signal as far away from a music source as possibel. in other words if you can hear music slightly through 89.3 but nothing through 88.3 then you should use the 88.3 for your source.
Old 10-06-2002, 05:39 PM
Banned

Question

Wat happens if you have XM radio installed and you want to sell your car? can you transfer it to your other car?
Old 10-06-2002, 09:24 PM

yes