Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Aftermarket COMAND replacement...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211 E55
Aftermarket COMAND replacement...

A friend has decided to sell his Hummer (haha $120 to fill-up!)... so I have recently come into possession of a top of the line Pioneer AVIC-Z1 in-dash nav screen. Fully loaded with bluetooth phone capabilities, navigation and touch screen interface I would love to swap out my COMAND screen for this unit. I don't have navigation or the phone option right now, and it's an 04' E55 with Harmon Kardon. I have heard Alpine makes adapters for their screens that would allow me to use the steering wheel controls, does Pioneer do the same? Would this be an install nightmare? Look horrible? or even be possible?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 09-16-2006, 07:08 PM

w211 E55
I posted in the E55 section as well but no real answers yet. Is the fiber optic wiring of the Harman Kardan system going to be the problem?
Anyone?
Old 09-17-2006, 05:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by Fly Low
I posted in the E55 section as well but no real answers yet. Is the fiber optic wiring of the Harman Kardan system going to be the problem?
Anyone?
............Mercedes has been using fiberoptics since late 1999. It is not a harman Kardon specific problem. Learn from my failures.......as far as I know, none of the aftermarket units has a steering wheel control kit that has ACTUALLY been integrated and working in a Mercedes. Of course there are products that someone says that someone's brother's friend's cousin used and it worked. No actual real life demonstration.

Ted
Old 09-17-2006, 03:34 PM

w211 E55
Ah so if there were a way to install the screen, the wheel controls are not going to really work. Do you have any idea if an aftermarket screen is possible to install with the fiber optics? I have been looking everywhere on the web and cannot find a picture of an install replacing the COMAND.
thanks
Old 09-17-2006, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Ah so if there were a way to install the screen, the wheel controls are not going to really work. Do you have any idea if an aftermarket screen is possible to install with the fiber optics? I have been looking everywhere on the web and cannot find a picture of an install replacing the COMAND.
thanks

............The best answer is no. If you instal and aftermarket system, you steering wheel controls will not work. However, tyhere are some very nice systems such as the pioneer system with touch screen control, voice input for navigation as well as bluetooth system for the phone...........you may not care about your steering wheel buttons.

Ted
Old 09-17-2006, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Anyone?
YOu can forget about finding any aftermarket unit that will integrate with the MOST fibre optic system that is in your car because the just don't exist.
Keep in mind that the MOST network and the comand deal with a lot more than steering wheel controls. it is a part of your audio system, and removing it will possibly disable other devices downstream if you have them installed, and your instrument cluster would say what? Also, I have NEVER seen an after market plate adaptation for the W211. So I am interested to see just how you would mount an aftermarket unit anywayz because it is not single or double din. IS there an aftermarket cover that works?
Old 09-18-2006, 05:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by my06clk
YOu can forget about finding any aftermarket unit that will integrate with the MOST fibre optic system that is in your car because the just don't exist.
Keep in mind that the MOST network and the comand deal with a lot more than steering wheel controls. it is a part of your audio system, and removing it will possibly disable other devices downstream if you have them installed, and your instrument cluster would say what? Also, I have NEVER seen an after market plate adaptation for the W211. So I am interested to see just how you would mount an aftermarket unit anywayz because it is not single or double din. IS there an aftermarket cover that works?

.......you will be suprised by how well the physical mounting can be done. No premade aftermarket covers. Custom stereo shops can fabricate anything to match the pre-existing covers in exact detail. You are right about the steering heel control will not work, but installing an aftermarket stereo will not do anything harmful to the fiberoptic network.

Ted
Old 09-18-2006, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Its coming. I think there is one available now. I will find out for sure for you.

Anyone?
Old 09-19-2006, 01:06 AM

w211 E55
Originally Posted by ldangeli
Its coming. I think there is one available now. I will find out for sure for you.
That would be great if you were able to find out. As far as the wheel controls I wouldn't really miss them (assuming nothing was messed up downstream) considering I already use the Aux. port to run my I-pod. It would also be great if I could pick up a nav system, bluetooth phone interface, and full I-pod integration by installing a great head-unit my friend is willing to give me!
I was also under the impression it was a standard double DIN layout as well, after you remove the volume knob and key pad facade?
thanks for all the input so far,
(I tried to upload photos showing the COMAND pulled out, but photobucket was down, I will do it later)
Old 09-19-2006, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
That would be great if you were able to find out. As far as the wheel controls I wouldn't really miss them (assuming nothing was messed up downstream) considering I already use the Aux. port to run my I-pod. It would also be great if I could pick up a nav system, bluetooth phone interface, and full I-pod integration by installing a great head-unit my friend is willing to give me!
I was also under the impression it was a standard double DIN layout as well, after you remove the volume knob and key pad facade?
thanks for all the input so far,
(I tried to upload photos showing the COMAND pulled out, but photobucket was down, I will do it later)
.........check this out. https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ghlight=stereo

Ted
Old 09-19-2006, 03:32 PM

w211 E55
There we go! I knew someone would install an aftermarket screen. Thank you for the link. I sent Blk55 a PM about his install, and will post my findings when he gets back to me. Looks like Reus systems could be the place to go for my conversion. I'm hoping they have found a way to integrate with the fiber optic system, and won't have to run a new set of wires.
thanks again
Old 09-21-2006, 12:11 AM

w211 E55
No reply to the PM I sent, and Photobucket is still down.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Cam bus I think it is called. Here is mine.

https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/157111-new-audio-system.html

No reply to the PM I sent, and Photobucket is still down.