Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

G500 Cell Phone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 G500
G500 Cell Phone

The wife and I took delivery of a depreciated 2003 G 500 last week and are wondering about cell phone options.

I have a V60 lined up at the local Alltell office (probably the least bad of my local CP service providers) which should just plug into the cradle on the car. I do know that the woman who cared for the truck before me did use a V60 in the car.

However, I have been informed that there are several other options including:

1) Mikbox
2) A UHI Kit and
3) The Bluetooth adaptor - http://www.wireless4mb.com/

With a mind to examining all possibilities - is there anything I missed?

Does anyone have experience with or can anyone provide commentary on the various choices mentioned above?

Specifically - what is UHI and how does it work?

Kindest regards,

Michael
Old 10-14-2006, 11:21 PM

2003 G500
Hello...is there an echo in here?

Hello............................
Old 10-15-2006, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Contact www.MBENZNL.com re your phone options..SEVERAL..All OE
Also think about adding Voice control..(handsfree)

Got the Bluetooth and VS from him Works Perfect
Old 10-16-2006, 09:52 PM

Since your truck seems to have a functioning hands-free system already installed, is a US version vehicle, and you are concerned about reception, your best two choices include:

1. A normal retail Alltell V60 handset will not work with your truck's system. You will need the MB version V60x handset p/n BQ6820887 from your local dealer. It's E911 compliant and Alltel will activate it. Downside is that it's a bit pricey at about $600 but is the best solution because it integrates the deepest with your truck and uses the truck's external antenna with signal booster too for best reception. BTW, Voice Control System was standard with the hands-free kit for G-Class so you likely have it installed. Check for VCS activation lever coming out of the top right side of your steering column.

2. Next best option is to use the V60 Bluetooth cradle adaptor and an approved handset. Depending on handset choice, you can get phonebook download feature but no use of external antenna. Downside is that no Alltel Bluetooth phones are yet approved for the BT Adaptor so you will have to change carriers to Cingular or Verizon. Otherwise, just dock the adaptor in the cradle, pair the handset, and go.

As far as other choices are concerned including aftermarket kits, I'd consider them only if the OEM system already built into your truck is inoperative or needs repair work to get functioning. In this case only, the other alternatives may be a better value even including the required installation labor.